Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

julianna1973

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Scotland
Im clearing off my old iMac & making sure I have got the files I want to keep. Im using iDisk for the first time for this.

I have looked at the files on iDisk on my laptop & they are listed but then ask if i want to download? Can i safely delete my files from there original location on my imac?

Also. i have added some more files but idisk sync is failing & only shows on the idisk imac files..what can i do to fix the sync?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Im clearing off my old iMac & making sure I have got the files I want to keep. Im using iDisk for the first time for this.

I have looked at the files on iDisk on my laptop & they are listed but then ask if i want to download? Can i safely delete my files from there original location on my imac?

Also. i have added some more files but idisk sync is failing & only shows on the idisk imac files..what can i do to fix the sync?

If you have iDisk "sync" turned on (in syst prefs / MobileMe / iDisk) then if you delete the files on your local iDisk (on your Mac) then your iDisk will sync and they will be removed from your iDisk in MobileMe (on Apple's servers). So don't delete them is you need them...

If you are not sure about the status of your iDisk or not clear on how it works then I wouldn't use it for backup. Use an external drive for your mac transition.

As far as your files being safe on your iDisk, they are as safe as anything else in the cloud. Do you have a really good password?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
This has already been discussed in the past, but do you really want to trust a "cloud" server to be the sole back up for your data?

Given how cheap external drives are why not just back it up at home.

(I do use iDisk, but this is more so I have access a lot of files road, and I'm prone to loosing things such as flash drives.)

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
This has already been discussed in the past, but do you really want to trust a "cloud" server to be the sole back up for your data?

Given how cheap external drives are why not just back it up at home.

(I do use iDisk, but this is more so I have access a lot of files road, and I'm prone to loosing things such as flash drives.)

I use:
  • SuperDuper - best of these
  • TimeMachine
  • Dropbox
  • Apple Backup
  • Chronosync
  • iDisk - my least of these

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.