PDA

View Full Version : Automatically "Create Network" on startup.

moderith
May 28, 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone I hope someone here can help with this.

I have a Mac Mini running OSX 10.5.8, and I want to set it up so that it automatically creates a Computer to Computer network on boot. We use the Mac Mini to run a MAMP server for a kiosk. What were trying to do is admin the computer from safari on an iPad via wireless. We succeeded at doing this, but every time the computer reboots it forgets the network it created. This would be okay if the computer didn't get powered off every night. Also I want it to be as hassle free as possible at boot. As of now you only need to press the power button for it to boot and start the kiosk software.

Does anyone know how to force OSX to create that connection and use it every time it boots? I would hate to add more steps for the person that is administering it.

Someone on google suggested that you should be able to do this by making a script utilizing "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport" through a terminal. Though I wouldn't know how to set up a script to run at boot.

If it's not possible we will end up strapping an airport extreme into it, but it just seems silly to strap in new equipment because there isn't an obvious option on the mac.

Thanks in advanced.

satcomer
May 28, 2010, 06:52 PM
Mount the drive in the Mini and then open System Preferences->Accounts tab and then the Login Items tab. Click the + sign and add that networked drive and then it will connect at powerup every time it powers on.