Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josheee12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
I have been a technician for years, and I know about the many online scams requiring you to give your CC #, address, and all sorts of other info. MacMinis***** require you to do nothing more than complete an offer, and refer to 16 friends (who don't have to do any referrals themselves). Anyone ever get scammed by them?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
What is the URL you tried to enter? It got filtered by the forums, meaning it was added to the filter list most likely because it has been spammed here before.

josheee12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
figure it out: "mac minis (number after 3) free dot com". seems legit. it requires nothing more than your address, email, and a user/passwd. you must complete 1 offer and refer. the referrals only have to open the link and create an account, but they are not required to refer. Found this: interview

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
What relevance is there to you having been a technician? Regardless this is a simply a scam and an attempt to lure people to this url. :mad:

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
why doubt it?

I'm positive that this is legit. The intarwebs are just full of Good Samaritans who want to give away free computers! And they're always new, brand name computers at that. Nobody ever gives away a 5 y/o no-name beige box POS.

josheee12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
What relevance is there to you having been a technician? Regardless this is a simply a scam and an attempt to lure people to this url. :mad:

I'm positive that this is legit. The intarwebs are just full of Good Samaritans who want to give away free computers! And they're always new, brand name computers at that. Nobody ever gives away a 5 y/o no-name beige box POS.

I say I'm a technician because I have dealt with people who have fell for traps in a similar fashion, by having their identity stolen, and computers infected by spyware. MM4F doesn't ask for any of that information (CCN, SSN) so it seems a little more legit. It doesn't ask for any personal information (except when they start the shipping process) and doesn't ask you (or anyone else) to install any software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.