PDA

View Full Version : Using Airport Express for audio only

enriquecaballo
Oct 10, 2004, 08:59 PM
I have my DSL modem in one room, and I'm using a Netgear router to provide wireless access to my ibook. I also have an Airport Express that I would like to hook up to my stereo and a different room. Currently, when I'm connected to the internet via the Netgear, my Itunes doesn't recognize the airport express, so I can't play music over the stereo while I'm online.

Therefore, if I wish to listen to music via Airport Express, I have to manually choose for my ibook to connect to Airport Express rather than the Netgear.

Is it possible for the ibook to connect to Netgear and Airport Express at the same time so that I may listen to music while I'm on the internet. Or is it possible to use the Airport Express as an access point, so that the ibook will connect to the internet through the Airport Express (which will connect through the Netgear)?

Scottyk9
Oct 10, 2004, 09:45 PM
You need to reconfigure your Airport Express so that it "connects to an existing network". Then your iBook can see and send music to the AE through your network that is in place. You may need passwords or MAC numbers if your wireless network is WEP enabled or excludes by MAC address.

SilentPanda
Oct 10, 2004, 09:48 PM
I use my airport express solely for playing music and do not have to switch networks to do so. You have to get your airport express to connect to your netgear router as the previous poster said.

enriquecaballo
Oct 10, 2004, 10:11 PM
thanks for the help, but i can't figure out how to set up my airport express as a client. when i go to the airport admin utility, i'm able to see my base station listed. however, when i click on "configure," i receive the following message:

"This version of the AirPort Admin Utility cannot set up this AirPort Base Station. Please use the software that came with the base station or that is available online to set it up."

I can't find any additional software online, and the installation CD doesn't help at all. This is all most interesting, as my ibook and airport express are both only about 6 months old.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I've also gone to the Airport Setup Assistant. While there, I choose "join an existing Airport network." The Netgear network is one of the choices. However, I am then asked for a password. The only password I was ever asked for when setting up my Netgear was "password," but when I enter "password" as my password in the Setup Assistant, the password is not recognized.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

osprey76
Oct 10, 2004, 10:18 PM
thanks for the help, but i can't figure out how to set up my airport express as a client. when i go to the airport admin utility, i'm able to see my base station listed. however, when i click on "configure," i receive the following message:

"This version of the AirPort Admin Utility cannot set up this AirPort Base Station. Please use the software that came with the base station or that is available online to set it up."

I can't find any additional software online, and the installation CD doesn't help at all. This is all most interesting, as my ibook and airport express are both only about 6 months old.

Am I looking in the wrong place? I've also gone to the Airport Setup Assistant. While there, I choose "join an existing Airport network." The Netgear network is one of the choices. However, I am then asked for a password. The only password I was ever asked for when setting up my Netgear was "password," but when I enter "password" as my password in the Setup Assistant, the password is not recognized.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

You need to install the software the came on the CD with the Airport Express. Version 4 (on the CD) can administer the new hardware, Version 3 (what you're trying to run) cannot. I usually cast aside install software, too, but you need to use it in this case (I ran into the same thing.)

enriquecaballo
Oct 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
bingo! the software cd was all it took. thanks everyone for the help!