PDA

View Full Version : silicone cover or case? which one?

mnu039
May 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
I am getting the money for an ipad next tuesday, hoping i can find a 16gb wifi here in Kansas City, havent looked around yet. Regardlesss, I cant decide whether to get a silicone cover for it or a full on case. I do like the Incase Neoprene cases from Best Buy, but i have heard that they are too big for one ipad, like 3 of them can fit in there. Any thoughts on which one, and any brand recmmends? Thanks!

Blorzoga
May 29, 2010, 08:39 AM
It depends if you want a case to carry in a bag or out and about, or if you just want a case to protect from scratches and give a good grip. If the latter is the case, I'd recommend the belkin grip vue it is expensive ($50) but it fits perfectly, gives a really secure grip, is not a dust magnet like the silicone ones. My only complaint about it is that the camera connector (and dock, if you're one that uses a dock) will not fit through the cut out. I'm thinking of widening the hole with a hole punch. All in all, it's a great case. If you want a folio type, I can't recommend.

johnniewalker
May 29, 2010, 08:41 AM
I purchased a cheap rubber case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Silicone-Screen-Protector-Tablet/dp/B0037JZX3K/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275139688&sr=8-17

It's great value, although the screen protector was rubbish so I never bothered using it.

The only real downsides for me is that it hides the beauty of my iPad and it also weighs about 200g, which is something I didn't even think about before I got it, it adds quite a lot of weight to the iPad which weighs approx 700g, it does help the iPad stay in position when I have it rested on a raised lap/crossed leg.

I now think there's only two ways to approach this problem, get a case that is as minimal and lightweight as possible to provide at least minimal scratch protection but without adding too much bulk, and then using a bag to transport the iPad when out and about.

I got myself an STM micro shoulder bag which is perfect for me, and I've ordered the switch easy nude case in clear, this comes with a stand to prop up the iPad for viewing or when using an external keyboard, the only thing I might miss is not having a way to prop up the iPad when it's on my lap for typing using the onscreen keyboard, although I'm typing this with the iPad flat on my lap and it's actually very similar to using my MacBook!

ipadder
Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
indepth review posted up here from macgirl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN28r5Hstm8

ChiliBlue
Jun 6, 2010, 04:56 PM
If you have pets I would stay away from silicone.

raymond lin
Jun 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
The 5 silicon case i got from amazon is pretty good, snug fit and does what it says on the tin.