Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
hi im getting my new mbp i5 next moth and i want to install windows on bootcamp just for gamming mostly RPG (wich i read are not as demanding as FPS as far as FPS goes) and as this is going to be my ver first mac as u can guess i got a lot of questions, so her they go and thanks for all the help u can give me.

1.-windows xp or windows 7?(ill be playing some older games as the witcher and Neverwinter Nights 2)
2.-Wich Drivers should i get? are the ones that come with the snow leapoar disc good enough?
3.-Shoul i overclock my windows partition?
4.-will 70gb be enoug for my windows partition?(ill be playing 3 games AT MOST at the same time)
5.-How muc of an impact will getting the hi def screen cause?

Any oter tips will be welcome, are there any programs or apps that will give me a better gaming experience? and so on....

Please all the help u can give me is more than welcome as i want to start gamming as soon as possible, im starting school in 3 months and i want to play as muc as possible before i have to get serious about studying...:rolleyes: THANKS!!!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
My Opinions/What I would do:

1 - Windows 7. Despite XP being better for gaming, it is running out of support and fast.

2 - The ones on the Snow Leopard disk will work with Windows 7 fine.

3 - No.

4 - Size up the games + Windows 7 + 10GB for extra maps/mods/downloadable content. Also use ccleaner to keep your disk use down to a minimum.

5 - Have not a clue.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
1 - Windows 7. Despite XP being better for gaming, it is running out of support and fast.

No it isn't. There are only a tiny handful of DX10+ only games. These are the games with DX10 support - it's already quite a small list and the ones that have no DX9 mode is much smaller still. Infact I'd be willing to bet there are more games that don't run on Windows 9. From memory only 2 do; Stormrise and Shattered Horizon. Neither being great games.

1.-windows xp or windows 7?(ill be playing some older games as the witcher and Neverwinter Nights 2)
2.-Wich Drivers should i get? are the ones that come with the snow leapoar disc good enough?
3.-Shoul i overclock my windows partition?
4.-will 70gb be enoug for my windows partition?(ill be playing 3 games AT MOST at the same time)
5.-How muc of an impact will getting the hi def screen cause?
1. XP
2. Install the bundled drivers, then get modded ones. If you think Apple are slow at updating graphic drivers on OSX then you haven't seen their bootcamp support ;).ATi's, I can't remember the address for the modded Geforce ones.
3. Yes. Macs are generally underclocked, I know mine was by 100mhz. It's safe to overclock now, I've been overclocking for years and I only had one crash when I pushed it too far. A reset and it was fine.
4. 70gb sounds good. You can always install games to an external drive if you run out of space.
5. Not sure what you mean!

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
No it isn't. There are only a tiny handful of DX10+ only games. These are the games with DX10 support - it's already quite a small list and the ones that have no DX9 mode is much smaller still. Infact I'd be willing to bet there are more games that don't run on Windows 9. From memory only 2 do; Stormrise and Shattered Horizon. Neither being great games.

1. XP
2. Install the bundled drivers, then get modded ones. If you think Apple are slow at updating graphic drivers on OSX then you haven't seen their bootcamp support ;).ATi's, I can't remember the address for the modded Geforce ones.
3. Yes. Macs are generally underclocked, I know mine was by 100mhz. It's safe to overclock now, I've been overclocking for years and I only had one crash when I pushed it too far. A reset and it was fine.
4. 70gb sounds good. You can always install games to an external drive if you run out of space.
5. Not sure what you mean!

ok i really didnt understood the explanation on the dx10 vs dx9 stuff but i get it xp is better for gamming.

about question 5 is that ill be getting the 1680x1050 display so game wont be running on theur native res... how much will this be afecting the FPS on games??

ive seen a lot of people having problems overclocking their 330m any help with this??? until what point is it save? how to know when im just pushing it too far?

and what about windows vista??? is it just plain BS???

newmacnooby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
ok, got no vista then ;)

but here comes the real problem ive been living in a cave all my life so im not really that familiar with drivers, so once i get my mbp ill be struggling with that i hope its just not too much troble.

one more ting tis might be a really stupid question but... ive been reading about 3d tecnology will i be able to see 3d on my mbp by intalling some drivers and getting some 3d glasses???

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Shattered Horizon is a very good game. :p

And no, you won't see 3D, you have to have a panel made for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.