PDA

View Full Version : 1 dead pixel !!! help

hjhhjh
Oct 11, 2004, 02:35 AM
i hav a dead pixel on my pb g4 i just bought 12"
its blue, and it at bottom near middle, can i return it or no?

Counterfit
Oct 11, 2004, 03:05 AM
Nope.

caveman_uk
Oct 11, 2004, 03:12 AM
No you can't. I can't think of one manufacturer that will replace a machine with one dead pixel. It's a bummer but apparently unless we're all prepared to pay a hell of a lot more for perfect LCD screens then some are gonna have a dead pixel or two.

allroy
Oct 11, 2004, 08:10 AM
sometimes they go away or you can try gently massaging the area of the screen and sometimes that 'unsticks' them.

Elan0204
Oct 11, 2004, 01:12 PM
It depends where you bought the PowerBook. Some people have reported being able to exchange a computer with a stuck/dead pixel. Most stores won't accept the PowerBook, however. Also, many have reported that the message method (described above) has helped restore a stuck pixel.

armandocerna
Oct 11, 2004, 01:18 PM
I have a stuck pixel on my ibook and it bothered the hell out of me for the first few days now I don't even see it anymore. I did however go to the genius bar over the weekend and asked a genius about the stuck pixel he said that if I turn the ibook off and pull the battery and leave it off for a day or two the pixel might become unstuck. I can't bear doing this though... I use the ibook every day and I don't know if I could stand to have it off for that long. Good Luck

tech4all
Oct 11, 2004, 01:21 PM
Is it only Apple LCD screens (or whoever makes them for Apple) that have dead/stuck pixels? Or is this common on PCs as well? I've been seeing a lot of threads about this.

zim
Oct 11, 2004, 01:25 PM
Is it only Apple LCD screens (or whoever makes them for Apple) that have dead/stuck pixels? Or is this common on PCs as well? I've been seeing a lot of threads about this.

It is with all LCD screens, not Mac specific.

Santiago
Oct 11, 2004, 02:21 PM
In general, it seems like a disproportionately-high fraction of stuck pixels are ones where the blue component is the one that is permanently on. Is this because the blue component is more likely to fail than the green or red ones due to electromechanical reasons, or is it because bright blue pixels stick out more than red or green ones, and thus I notice them more?

toughboy
Oct 11, 2004, 03:45 PM

I have five, so what?!..

hello world
Oct 11, 2004, 04:24 PM
You can return them, sometimes.

I've returned two Aluminum PBs, one because it had 3 dead pixels(one in the dead center) and the other because it had 2 off the side.

I may be that it's a discretion thing - both times I got a relatively nice person at the Apple Store.

So I wouldn't count out returning. Dead pixels can drive you just crazy.

bdomz
Oct 11, 2004, 04:30 PM
I have a stuck read pixel on an LCD screen I just bought, it annoyed me for a few days but now I don't see it unless I'm looking for it. I figure at 1280 x 1024 resolution I have over 1 million pixels on my screen, 1 stuck one isn't so bad then when you take that into consideration.

James L
Oct 11, 2004, 04:41 PM
To echo some of the above thoughts,

1 stuck pixel, out of millions, really isn't enough to exchange the screen. There are very few manufactuers that will do this, Apple's policy is pretty standard.

With regards to the massage technique, I have seen it work. I have also seen it screw up additional pixels in the surrounding area. Remember that this is basically just an idea that people pass around, and it has propegated across the internet. Can it work...yes, I have seen it. Can it make things worse...yup, seen that too. Do it at your own risk.

Last thought, you CAN exchange a machine with Apple that has a stuck pixel. It is not in their warranty to do so, but start at the bottom, be firm but polite, work your way up through the food chain as they say no. You may have to go all the way to the top (hint), but it can be done.

Cheers,

James

advres
Oct 11, 2004, 05:53 PM
In general, it seems like a disproportionately-high fraction of stuck pixels are ones where the blue component is the one that is permanently on. Is this because the blue component is more likely to fail than the green or red ones due to electromechanical reasons, or is it because bright blue pixels stick out more than red or green ones, and thus I notice them more?

Mine is red.

Phat_Pat
Oct 11, 2004, 06:00 PM
i had one on a portable dvd player once. Best Buy gladly exchanged it with no questions asked. :D

noahsnyc
Oct 11, 2004, 06:17 PM
I had a horrible experience with a G3 iBook that was really just a lemon. Apple eventually replaced it, kindly enough, with a nice, rather loaded G4 iBook. I soon noticed that my replacement iBook had a single stuck, blue pixel.

Of course, one stuck or dead pixel is really going to be unnoticeable unless you're watching a ton of letter-boxed noir movies or doing similar video/graphics work. Which you may.

Still, I wrote a very, very nice letter to Apple Corporate describing my issue and how upset I was.

They replied promptly and offered to replace my iBook (which I declined, because at that point I was "over it") and sent me a very, very nice gift as a "token".

So, have a drink, don't stress yourself about it, and, if you're up for it, write a really nice, eloquent, empathetic letter about how upset you are that one of your favorite new possessions just isn't perfect.

Cheers,

N.

armandocerna
Oct 11, 2004, 08:31 PM
They replied promptly and offered to replace my iBook (which I declined, because at that point I was "over it") and sent me a very, very nice gift as a "token".

Just curious... what did they send you?

Chaszmyr
Oct 11, 2004, 08:56 PM
In general, it seems like a disproportionately-high fraction of stuck pixels are ones where the blue component is the one that is permanently on.

Between all the LCD screens that me and my friends and family have owned I've seen about 5 dead pixels, and they were all red most of the time.

Sometimes, they change colors depending on the color that is supposed to be displayed. I've actually never seen one appear blue though.

Mechcozmo
Oct 11, 2004, 09:13 PM
My Windoze box has a LCD screen. 2 stuck pixels. 1 blue, 1 red. But depending on the screen colors, sometimes the red will become normal or sometimes the blue. I just ignore it, but if it really bugs you try asking the Genius Bar folks. They might be able to help...

noahsnyc
Oct 11, 2004, 09:16 PM
Just curious... what did they send you?

Alas, not wanting to sound bait-ing or silly, I'd rather not say.

When I received a phone call from an Apple Corporate employee, they basically asked if there was anything they could offer that might make me feel better about staying loyal and working with the company. I've been an Apple customer most of my life.

They basically offered me a choice of some very nice "tokens of appreciation" (I'm sure you could think of them if you tried), and then asked me if there was something specific they made or sold that I might prefer. There was, and I asked for it. So, while I'm sure you could easily guess what they might offer to someone, what I got was something I personally wanted and was a little idiosyncratic.

That's the long, vague answer.

The short, vague answer is this: None of your business and it was pretty sweet. :)

Cheers,

N.

QCassidy352
Oct 11, 2004, 09:29 PM
I have a stuck pixel on my 20" Apple cinema; it's pink and mid-right, high up. Yes, it's annoying... but it's not really that bad. I don't even notice it most of the time.

You're pixel is stuck too, not dead, by the way. Stuck is better because it can come back, such as with massage, as suggested earlier (or even on its own). (I've fixed quite a few stuck pixels this way.) Dead pixels are never colored, always just dark (off).

Other than the massage technique, I'm not sure there's anything you can do. Unless it's very central, you won't really notice it much. And as others have said, this is a problem with all LCDs, not just apples, and I don't know of any company that will exchange it for just one pixel.

Calvinatir
Oct 11, 2004, 09:38 PM
i actually have a red stuck one on my powerbook 17" outside the screen area. It's rather bizarre; when the screen is black or during a movie i notice it, almost as if i had an extra row of pixels outside the standard on the right side of my screen. I guess if you were to have a dead pixel that would be the best place...heh