Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lynnpye

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi all,

I currently own a TiBook 800 with 1GB RAM. I use it for, well, everything. But the reason I am considering an upgrade has to do with development. I do Java development and also run an instance of the Firebird database (the OSS spin off of Borland's Interbase product). I've found that during testing, the database performance is quite bad compared to the performance of a recently purchased PC laptop (please don't ask why we're developing database apps on laptops).

Now I understand this can have as much or more to do with tuning the database for the specific platform its on as well as OS specific code in the ports as it does the hardware I'm running on, but as I'm considering an upgrade in any case, my question is:

Will upgrading to the current 15" (1.5 Ghz G4) with 1 GB RAM help much at all in this case?

I recognize that databases are typically I/O bound. That said, given the bottleneck on the speed of the bus to the RAM, how much help will the increase in CPU speed really afford me?

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Lynn

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
The Bottleneck question I think is a very good. While I don't have an answer, I too am curious as to how much it is a limiting factor. The new iMacs have something like 533, and 600 Mhz. The PMs are even higher.

This is the one issue I want look more into as I am thinking about a new PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.