PDA

View Full Version : Elan Passport case for iPad in cream color now free

timdafweak
May 29, 2010, 06:46 PM
Not sure if it has been posted here. But the Elan Passport iPad case is now FREE from Griffin Technology. Just pay shipping 5.34. Only for the cream colored case though.

I am sure not many would want it in white/cream leather, but if one does, here's the link. Just click buy now, and choose the cream case.

Not sure if it is a pricing mistake... But can't argue with 5.34 for a leather case for the iPad.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad#.

Enjoy.

DeuceDeuce
May 29, 2010, 07:01 PM
Dooubt they will actually honor it but worth a shot. Thanks for sharing.

tikidoc
May 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm giving it a try. Got a receipt emailed to me. Not my first choice in colors but as backup case that I would not mind my kids trashing a bit, it's a deal.

JayMysterio
May 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
Gave it a try as well with a gift card, we'll see if they honor it.

Chip NoVaMac
May 29, 2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up.... will be interesting to see how this places out....

macswitcha2
May 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
ugly color but you can actually dye it black if you like...

Jethrotoe
May 29, 2010, 08:58 PM
Whoa! It went through. The charge appears in online banking and I got the confirmation e-mail. Are they just trying to dump them because no one ordered that color? If so, Why wouldn't they just sell it half price or something? If it's a mistake, I just made a valid business transaction with them and they charged my bank. I don't see how they can back out. But then again they can probably do what they want.

I think a lot of people must be visiting the site because it really is getting bogged down.

jeremy3721
May 29, 2010, 09:13 PM
I just ordered one. It took several tries to get the site to load correctly. Hopefully it will go through.

I may seriously try to dye it :)

Chip NoVaMac
May 29, 2010, 09:16 PM
Whoa! It went through. The charge appears in online banking and I got the confirmation e-mail. Are they just trying to dump them because no one ordered that color? If so, Why wouldn't they just sell it half price or something? If it's a mistake, I just made a valid business transaction with them and they charged my bank. I don't see how they can back out. But then again they can probably do what they want.

I think a lot of people must be visiting the site because it really is getting bogged down.

I have not searched their site.... but most sites that provide e-commerce do have a disclaimer about pricing errors... but there is hope LOL

Worked for Micro Center many years ago, and in our training they told the story of the time back in the 80's that a Laser computer was placed in a newspaper ad for their Mayfield Heights store. It was listed at $199 - should have been $1199! :eek: The story goes that they honored the price and brought in all the product they could from their others stores - they were only in OH IIRC at the time. Huge back-up on I-271 from what we were told.

While on training at that store some years later, met customers there that regaled in sharing that experience and why they still shopped at Micro Center. Just hope that Griffin takes note and tries to do the right thing...

Just a very bad timing on their part if this is a glitch in their system being a holiday weekend. :eek:

RedgeDunlop
May 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Good find...:D I ordered to Canada for the measly price of $7.50 and also got a confirmation email.

On a side note, how would you dye it?

Supac
May 29, 2010, 10:54 PM
I just ordered 5, one for backup the other going to sell. Muahmuah

kloan
May 30, 2010, 01:23 AM

And there we have it right here folks why price errors like this fail. Sometimes you can actually get away with it if there aren't people seeing dollar signs ordering a bunch to sell off.. raises a red flag for the company and in turn cancels everyone's orders.

F'in eBayers.

TxMacAddict
May 30, 2010, 02:07 AM
The cream is hideous. I can see why they are giving them away.. even with $5 shipping it seems kind of high. Whoever thought this color would be a good seller ought to be fired.

kloan
May 30, 2010, 03:39 AM
I have not searched their site.... but most sites that provide e-commerce do have a disclaimer about pricing errors... but there is hope LOL

I scoured their site, couldn't find any disclaimers about pricing errors.

JonnyIreland
May 30, 2010, 03:42 AM
Wow great find OP, many thanks for sharing.

True, the cream doesn't look so nice, but $49.99 in my bank account looks pretty good to me! It only cost $7.50 for UK shipping, worth taking a chance even if they do cancel the orders.

To those people ordering several to resell -get a grip, that is how these 'mistakes' (assuming that it is a mistake) get flagged up, which ruins it for everyone else. The OP posted this deal for the community (which is what I like to think that we are here), not for FleaBay profiteers. ;)

scottness
May 30, 2010, 03:50 AM
Hmmm... They're asking $18USD for shipping... Should I do it? It's ugly!

eTip
May 30, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hmmm... They're asking $18USD for shipping... Should I do it? It's ugly!

Nah, you can get a decent copy of the inCase convertible off eBay for less than that...shipping included.

Jethrotoe
May 30, 2010, 05:53 AM
And there we have it right here folks why price errors like this fail. Sometimes you can actually get away with it if there aren't people seeing dollar signs ordering a bunch to sell off.. raises a red flag for the company and in turn cancels everyone's orders.

F'in eBayers.

Too true, too true.

Jethrotoe
May 30, 2010, 06:00 AM
I scoured their site, couldn't find any disclaimers about pricing errors.

The fine print is there. Took a long time to read, but's it's there. Actually it was somewhat interesting. Not just the Making Purchases part but the part where they can scan your computer for what OS, how much ram, what drives and all that. You automatically allow this by using their site. This might be true with all sites like this, I don't know.

antiprotest
May 30, 2010, 06:23 AM
The price might not be a mistake. It could be that when they received this first batch of the new color, they realized it's so ugly that they cannot get away with charging for it. So they might as well give it away and charge only shipping.

Jethrotoe
May 30, 2010, 06:29 AM
The price might not be a mistake. It could be that when they received this first batch of the new color, they realized it's so ugly that they cannot get away with charging for it. So they might as well give it away and charge only shipping.

Might be, might not be. Wouldn't they try giving it away at cost plus shipping first? Any company would.

I think we are all going to wake up Tuesday morning and find our orders canceled.

JonnyIreland
May 30, 2010, 06:34 AM
Might be, might not be. Wouldn't they try giving it away at cost plus shipping first? Any company would.

I think we are all going to wake up Tuesday morning and find our orders canceled.

Exactly, I doubt it's a "free giveaway" -when you go to your local TK Maxx/TJ Maxx/Winners and you see all that low price stock, how/why do you think most of got there? These stores are filled with old stock exactly like this that has been sold on at a discount. It would be ludicrous for Griffin to give away free $50 products -they could even sell them through a "Griffin eBay" store for 75% off and people would still think it's a bargain.

macswitcha2
May 30, 2010, 07:59 AM
Or, it could just be FREE, at least for yesterday since the site has now changed it from free to $49.99

NeuralControl
May 30, 2010, 10:51 AM
Looks like it is back to full price. Shame, as I was hoping to luck out like some of you. Let us know if the case actually is delivered.

LordOBoogie
May 30, 2010, 11:02 AM

Wow. Thanks for ruining it for everyone. I hope your order is canceled.

patp
May 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
i think all of our orders will be cancelled or we will find a charge for 49 + shipping come Monday morning!

Supac
May 30, 2010, 12:00 PM

F'in eBayers.

You see dollars when it's free that is why you are hoping to get away with it, if it was a mistake. So that makes you a:

- hypocrite
- dumb@zz

Supac
May 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Wow. Thanks for ruining it for everyone. I hope your ordered is canceled.

I'll keep you posted.

Frado
May 30, 2010, 12:28 PM
Well it's definately gone now

RedgeDunlop
May 30, 2010, 03:55 PM
i think all of our orders will be cancelled or we will find a charge for 49 + shipping come Monday morning!

They wold have to contact you before charging you more. No store (that I know of) can charge you money with our your permission. If they do, I'll just cancel the order.

So far I have no gotten any emails stating the order was cancelled though. I'll keep this thread posted on the status of my order. So you'll either hear from me on Tuesday of it was cancelled, or in a couple of week once it has been delivered.

patp
May 30, 2010, 04:17 PM
They wold have to contact you before charging you more. No store (that I know of) can charge you money with our your permission. If they do, I'll just cancel the order.

So far I have no gotten any emails stating the order was cancelled though. I'll keep this thread posted on the status of my order. So you'll either hear from me on Tuesday of it was cancelled, or in a couple of week once it has been delivered.

We shall see. I know that whoever runs that website is gonna get a spanking for sure.

macswitcha2
May 30, 2010, 06:08 PM
We shall see. I know that whoever runs that website is gonna get a spanking for sure.

Assuming that it was a mistake. It could of been done on purpose by the company. Shoot, I see this as a great way of advertisement. Write Free for a day and watch the traffic increase and why people may hate the cream color, they get to see the black ones and other products that they may like and buy.

srl7741
May 30, 2010, 06:14 PM
When I first saw this yesterday I made it all the way to the end of the process and just before clicking on the last chance button so to speak and decided to not do it.

Something just did not seem right. IDK I sure hope everyone who did order does actually get the case for free. It's a horrible p/r nightmare if they don't and it's a mistake.

It's not normal is it? Giving it away b/c of it's color? I already have the black one so the white colored one would be great especially if it's free. It's just hit me wrong and I backed out.

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. Good luck to those who have ordered.

patp
May 30, 2010, 08:34 PM
The charge has appeared on my card for $6 covering the shipping.
I'm not expecting this to go thru, but stranger thing have happened.

kloan
May 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
The fine print is there. Took a long time to read, but's it's there. Actually it was somewhat interesting. Not just the Making Purchases part but the part where they can scan your computer for what OS, how much ram, what drives and all that. You automatically allow this by using their site. This might be true with all sites like this, I don't know.

Where did you read it, in the Privacy section? Man I read and read but couldn't find anything about price errors. As far as I'm aware, if they don't have a specific policy in place regarding pricing errors, and mention it clearly on their website, they're required to honor the mistake.

kloan
May 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
You see dollars when it's free that is why you are hoping to get away with it, if it was a mistake. So that makes you a:

- hypocrite
- dumb@zz

Not at all. But I don't expect a person like you to be able to distinguish the difference.

rKunda
Jun 1, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hello,

Your order number is xxxxxxx.

This is to inform you that due to an error on our website, the Elan Passport for iPad in Ecru was listed at $0.00. The correct price is $49.99. Due to an overwhelming number of orders for this item at the incorrect price, we have canceled all orders for this item at this time.

That settles that.

DeuceDeuce
Jun 1, 2010, 12:17 PM
My order was cancelled... Email below.

gilkisson
Jun 1, 2010, 12:19 PM
I just got my email from Griffin:

This is to inform you that due to an error on our website, the Elan Passport for iPad in Ecru was listed at $0.00. The correct price is $49.99. Due to an overwhelming number of orders for this item at the incorrect price, we have canceled all orders for this item at this time.

Well, crap. too good to be true.

JayMysterio
Jun 1, 2010, 12:22 PM
:D Just got my cancellation notice also. LOL

macswitcha2
Jun 1, 2010, 12:34 PM
Too good to be true...mines was canceled as well...

With that color, they should give it out free.

iserian
Jun 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone taking them up on the 30% offer due to the mix-up.

macswitcha2
Jun 1, 2010, 05:13 PM
Anyone taking them up on the 30% offer due to the mix-up.

Where did you here this?

Jethrotoe
Jun 1, 2010, 05:50 PM
Where did you here this?

It was in my e-mail and in the attached e-mail a few posts above.

30% is nice but I don't like it that much.

iserian
Jun 1, 2010, 05:52 PM
Yep - the 30 percent is part of the offer email telling you sorry not free but....

srl7741
Jun 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
Wow, I'm glad I backed out. I had that funny feeling. To good to be true.

That's not going to be to good for business. 30% off sort of helps tho.

macswitcha2
Jun 1, 2010, 06:35 PM
but the 30% is only off of the cream color one.

LordOBoogie
Jun 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hah! Karma is a bitch.

JayMysterio
Jun 1, 2010, 07:40 PM

Why are you glad you backed out? :confused: There was no harm, no foul. Those of us ordered, lost nothing that those who didn't. If anything, even though we got our orders cancelled, if we still want the cases we were offered a discount. It may have been to good to be true, but why not take a chance?

LordOBoogie
Jun 1, 2010, 09:34 PM
Why are you glad you backed out? :confused: There was no harm, no foul. Those of us ordered, lost nothing that those who didn't. If anything, even though we got our orders cancelled, if we still want the cases we were offered a discount. It may have been to good to be true, but why not take a chance?

Anyone can get the discount. It is effectively on sale.

JayMysterio
Jun 1, 2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry that should have been a collective 'we', hope no one felt left out.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 1, 2010, 11:55 PM
This an clip of an email I got from them....

We are very sorry for any inconvenience. You can purchase the Passport case at the correct price here:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad

Although we cannot give away the Passport for free, we are offering a 30% discount for this item should you wish to place your online order again. This offer expires 6/3/10.

Again, we are sorry for the error. Since your order never shipped, there has been no charge to your credit card.╩You may see something on your account that looks like a charge, but that's actually just a pre-authorization from the time of your order.╩ That should disappear within 3-5 business days, depending on your bank's policies.╩

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

The Customer Service Team
Griffin Technology
1930 Air Lane Dr.
Nashville, TN 37210

Will give them a call in the morning and see where it goes... not well I guess...

jeremy3721
Jun 2, 2010, 12:24 AM

Will give them a call in the morning and see where it goes... not well I guess...

I never got an email. just assume it's cancelled

GoCubsGo
Jun 2, 2010, 12:33 AM

So you've said now twice. :rolleyes: frankly if you were just grabbing it because it was free then "backing out" was a good idea. I would think anyone believing they'd honor their price isn't all that wise.

swy05
Jun 2, 2010, 01:11 AM

What do you expect to get out of your call? For them to honor the price of free?

Seriously, save your minutes.

Supac
Jun 2, 2010, 01:36 AM
Weird mine, shows that it's on transit. They charged my card $8.67 for shipping, the quantity shows 5 like I ordered. I'll post some pictures when I receive them, I am not going tosell them until I know for sure that I aownt be charged with the regular price.

3goldens
Jun 2, 2010, 09:28 AM
I thought it was a mistake. What dopes.