Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Not sure if it has been posted here. But the Elan Passport iPad case is now FREE from Griffin Technology. Just pay shipping 5.34. Only for the cream colored case though.

I am sure not many would want it in white/cream leather, but if one does, here's the link. Just click buy now, and choose the cream case.

Not sure if it is a pricing mistake... But can't argue with 5.34 for a leather case for the iPad.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-passport-ipad#.

Enjoy.

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
I'm giving it a try. Got a receipt emailed to me. Not my first choice in colors but as backup case that I would not mind my kids trashing a bit, it's a deal.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
Whoa! It went through. The charge appears in online banking and I got the confirmation e-mail. Are they just trying to dump them because no one ordered that color? If so, Why wouldn't they just sell it half price or something? If it's a mistake, I just made a valid business transaction with them and they charged my bank. I don't see how they can back out. But then again they can probably do what they want.

I think a lot of people must be visiting the site because it really is getting bogged down.

jeremy3721

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I just ordered one. It took several tries to get the site to load correctly. Hopefully it will go through.

I may seriously try to dye it :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Whoa! It went through. The charge appears in online banking and I got the confirmation e-mail. Are they just trying to dump them because no one ordered that color? If so, Why wouldn't they just sell it half price or something? If it's a mistake, I just made a valid business transaction with them and they charged my bank. I don't see how they can back out. But then again they can probably do what they want.

I think a lot of people must be visiting the site because it really is getting bogged down.

I have not searched their site.... but most sites that provide e-commerce do have a disclaimer about pricing errors... but there is hope LOL

Worked for Micro Center many years ago, and in our training they told the story of the time back in the 80's that a Laser computer was placed in a newspaper ad for their Mayfield Heights store. It was listed at $199 - should have been $1199! :eek: The story goes that they honored the price and brought in all the product they could from their others stores - they were only in OH IIRC at the time. Huge back-up on I-271 from what we were told.

While on training at that store some years later, met customers there that regaled in sharing that experience and why they still shopped at Micro Center. Just hope that Griffin takes note and tries to do the right thing...

Just a very bad timing on their part if this is a glitch in their system being a holiday weekend. :eek:

kloan

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
I just ordered 5, one for backup the other going to sell. Muahmuah

And there we have it right here folks why price errors like this fail. Sometimes you can actually get away with it if there aren't people seeing dollar signs ordering a bunch to sell off.. raises a red flag for the company and in turn cancels everyone's orders.

F'in eBayers.

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
The cream is hideous. I can see why they are giving them away.. even with $5 shipping it seems kind of high. Whoever thought this color would be a good seller ought to be fired.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Thanks OP!

Wow great find OP, many thanks for sharing.

True, the cream doesn't look so nice, but $49.99 in my bank account looks pretty good to me! It only cost $7.50 for UK shipping, worth taking a chance even if they do cancel the orders.

To those people ordering several to resell -get a grip, that is how these 'mistakes' (assuming that it is a mistake) get flagged up, which ruins it for everyone else. The OP posted this deal for the community (which is what I like to think that we are here), not for FleaBay profiteers. ;)

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
And there we have it right here folks why price errors like this fail. Sometimes you can actually get away with it if there aren't people seeing dollar signs ordering a bunch to sell off.. raises a red flag for the company and in turn cancels everyone's orders.

F'in eBayers.

Too true, too true.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
I scoured their site, couldn't find any disclaimers about pricing errors.

The fine print is there. Took a long time to read, but's it's there. Actually it was somewhat interesting. Not just the Making Purchases part but the part where they can scan your computer for what OS, how much ram, what drives and all that. You automatically allow this by using their site. This might be true with all sites like this, I don't know.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
The price might not be a mistake. It could be that when they received this first batch of the new color, they realized it's so ugly that they cannot get away with charging for it. So they might as well give it away and charge only shipping.

Jethrotoe

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Somewhere over there.
The price might not be a mistake. It could be that when they received this first batch of the new color, they realized it's so ugly that they cannot get away with charging for it. So they might as well give it away and charge only shipping.

Might be, might not be. Wouldn't they try giving it away at cost plus shipping first? Any company would.

I think we are all going to wake up Tuesday morning and find our orders canceled.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Might be, might not be. Wouldn't they try giving it away at cost plus shipping first? Any company would.

I think we are all going to wake up Tuesday morning and find our orders canceled.

Exactly, I doubt it's a "free giveaway" -when you go to your local TK Maxx/TJ Maxx/Winners and you see all that low price stock, how/why do you think most of got there? These stores are filled with old stock exactly like this that has been sold on at a discount. It would be ludicrous for Griffin to give away free $50 products -they could even sell them through a "Griffin eBay" store for 75% off and people would still think it's a bargain.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Or, it could just be FREE, at least for yesterday since the site has now changed it from free to $49.99

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Looks like it is back to full price. Shame, as I was hoping to luck out like some of you. Let us know if the case actually is delivered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.