PDA

View Full Version : WhatsApp for iPad

Jinkst
May 30, 2010, 03:23 AM
For those that don't know, WhatsApp is a message app that sends messages to other iPhone/BlackBerry users over data rather than the normal SMS methods, whilst still coming from your mobile number, unlike Ping or any IM app. However at the moment it is only compatible with iPhone and apparently iPod touch (and BlackBerry).

Couple of questions.

1. Has anyone come across an iPad compatible app that runs like this already? (with a mobile number rather than needing a registration and username like Ping)
2. Has anyone used it on an iPod Touch and can confirm it does indeed work?

Reason I ask is that it doesn't have a sim, and hence is definitely completely void of the need for one for the app to work. I tried running the iPhone/iPod version on my iPad but it didn't work. I'm assuming due to this running OS 3.2...

astrorider
May 30, 2010, 03:49 AM
For those that don't know, WhatsApp is a message app that sends messages to other iPhone/BlackBerry users over data rather than the normal SMS methods, whilst still coming from your mobile number, unlike Ping or any IM app. However at the moment it is only compatible with iPhone and apparently iPod touch (and BlackBerry).

Couple of questions.

1. Has anyone come across an iPad compatible app that runs like this already? (with a mobile number rather than needing a registration and username like Ping)
2. Has anyone used it on an iPod Touch and can confirm it does indeed work?

Reason I ask is that it doesn't have a sim, and hence is definitely completely void of the need for one for the app to work. I tried running the iPhone/iPod version on my iPad but it didn't work. I'm assuming due to this running OS 3.2...

They have a FAQ at their site that covers use on an iPod touch

KandyKane
Jun 1, 2010, 06:53 AM
Is there a way of making it work on iPad? Whatsapp has heavily reduced my phone bills =)

reiichiroh
Jun 1, 2010, 11:47 AM
TextPlus has an ad-free $2.99 and free ad-supported app for iPad.

The WhatsApp devs were interviewed and said they had no plans to develop for iPad unfortunately.

Jinkst
Jun 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
TextPlus has an ad-free $2.99 and free ad-supported app for iPad.

The WhatsApp devs were interviewed and said they had no plans to develop for iPad unfortunately.

Ah that's a shame. Hopefully when 4.0 is released on both devices it will work across both. It'd be a lot easier if everyone used the same ala BlackBerry Messenger. Too many options on the iPhone in regards to this.