PDA

View Full Version : iPad usb cable scratches ipad dock connector?

wesley38
May 30, 2010, 01:02 PM
Hi,
Do you all have the same issue? I found out that the usb cable the came with the iPad scratches the aluminum at the dock connector. those 2 little hooks on the cable that locks the connector in place actually scratches the aluminum on the dock connector.

jlocalled
May 30, 2010, 01:03 PM
It's the same on my iPad and all three of my iPods.

Karnivore
May 30, 2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah, happens to pretty much all devices that use dock connector cable. I am hoping that next-gen iPhone will do away with chrome trim.

saving107
May 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
Either never plug it in or never unplug it, that would avoid the wear and tear problem that your getting from the USB cable.

wesley38
May 30, 2010, 01:09 PM
its kind of annoying isn't it

Ratty
May 30, 2010, 01:43 PM
I use one of the older iPhone USB cables which has a lager shroud and allows you to depress the two metal hooks when inserting or removing. This prevents any scratching.

wesley38
May 30, 2010, 01:56 PM
I use one of the older iPhone USB cables which has a lager shroud and allows you to depress the two metal hooks when inserting or removing. This prevents any scratching.

yeah i used that too at first but after i read the battery charging support tips from Apple they say its better to charge through the orginal usb so I changed it back

DoggyByte
May 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
yeah i used that too at first but after i read the battery charging support tips from Apple they say its better to charge through the orginal usb so I changed it back

Where did you read that? I thought it was the same cable...?

wesley38
May 30, 2010, 11:43 PM
Where did you read that? I thought it was the same cable...?

Its from the apple support website, google search iPad battery charging, I dont know if it's the same cable but they specifically say use the original cable so I did

mcdj
May 30, 2010, 11:47 PM
I see no scratches on mine. I'm using the Apple case if that matters.

omgitscro
May 31, 2010, 03:19 AM
Its from the apple support website, google search iPad battery charging, I dont know if it's the same cable but they specifically say use the original cable so I did

It's the exact same cable. The disclaimer is there to prevent complaints to Apple about 3rd-party cables.

Smacky
Jun 14, 2010, 09:13 PM
Lol yeah I noticed this, don't think it matters really. Not like I spend my time staring at the connector