PDA

View Full Version : iPad wifi and mywi on 3GS

pre3l2s
May 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hi all,

Just jailbroken my 3GS and using mywi to tether 3G to my iPad.

Got a few questions about using wifi on the iPad.

1) can o2 (my network provider) distinguish between iPhone and iPad data usage

2) if the answer is yes to the above, will they charge?

3) when I create a virtual wifi network using mywi, once I have finished browsing and switched off the network my iPad still says I am connected to the virtual network.

Any answers would be much appreciated!

fs454
May 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
I don't think they are able to tell, just don't use a ton more than you were on your phone or be doing 500mb app downloads, that's what flags them.

When you're done, switch your ipad's wifi off and on again, or connect to a different network, it's a known problem that it thinks it's still connected even though the mywi app is long gone.

pre3l2s
May 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
I don't think they are able to tell, just don't use a ton more than you were on your phone or be doing 500mb app downloads, that's what flags them.

When you're done, switch your ipad's wifi off and on again, or connect to a different network, it's a known problem that it thinks it's still connected even though the mywi app is long gone.

fs454 - thanks for the answer.

phpmaven
May 30, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi all,

Just jailbroken my 3GS and using mywi to tether 3G to my iPad.

Got a few questions about using wifi on the iPad.

1) can o2 (my network provider) distinguish between iPhone and iPad data usage

2) if the answer is yes to the above, will they charge?

3) when I create a virtual wifi network using mywi, once I have finished browsing and switched off the network my iPad still says I am connected to the virtual network.

Any answers would be much appreciated!

They can easily tell just by looking at your user agent string when you browse the web. Whether or not they will charge you, who knows. AT&T hasn't done that to anyone yet that I'm aware of, but it's in their terms of service and they could do it at any time. There is a chance that they could charge you.