Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I have an 8 GB 2G touch, never been jailbroken. It worked fine this morning. I charged it on my MBP and now I get no sound. There is no sound with any apps, and when I go to play music and hit the play button, it immediately switches back to pause. The volume is up. There is no sound with headphones. I have restarted, and restored using backup, no help. I am now going to restore and start from scratch and just put some music and a few apps, and I am in the process of downloading a software update that iTunes just told me I needed.

The fact that it refuses to go into play mode makes me think this is a software problem. It is out of warrantee and the nearest Apple store is 2 hours away, so that is not an option.

Suggestions?

tikidoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Update - restored again, put nothing but some music on it. Still no sound, still automatically goes back to pause when you try to play in the music app. The software is updated. Ideas? Oh, and no it has not gotten wet or been dropped.

Hieu

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
Just recently I've started to have this problem too. Have you fixed it?

Moocher

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
NE Atlanta area
Two weeks ago I took a friend's 3g touch to the apple store for him with the same problem. The audio and video play buttons would not stay on. I suspected that the problem was an unusual hardware issue probably from water damage. Prior to this I had restored it a couple times on different computers to different accounts to no avail, so I was pretty sure it wasn't software.

The genius immediate suspected a software issue but when I explained about the restores and he figured out that I knew what I was talking about he looked at the water sensors with a flashlight. Indeed, one of them was discolored.

You might get out a small flashlight and shine it into your orifices to look. :) If they are okay or you get lucky with a genius on a good day you may get a replacement - if it's under warranty. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a new one, I suspect.

Mooch

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
i guess apple or ebay are your only options.... you could sell it for parts on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.