PDA

View Full Version : Darwine on OS X 10.4.11

crayZsaaron
May 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm having a hell of a time trying to run Darwine on this ol' eMac. I installed Xcode so that I could use MacPorts to install Freetype because it seems to be required for Darwine. So, every time I attempt to run a program, it goes through its font checks, and afterward, it tells me the following:

Failed to open the service control manager.
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"msxml3.dll": dlopen(/Users/Lydia/Desktop/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/wine/msxml3.dll.so, 2): Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/Lydia/Desktop/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/../lib/wine/msxml3.dll.so
Reason: Incompati
wine: Unhandled alignment at address 0x0 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
wine: wineprefixcreate failed while creating '/Users/Lydia/.wine'.
wineserver: could not save registry branch to /Users/Lydia/.wine-77LUdN/user.reg : No such file or directory

Am I doing something wrong, or is Darwine just never going to work for me?

Thanks.

roadbloc
May 30, 2010, 04:18 PM
I think it may be because Darwine needs an Intel mac. I may be wrong though.

max
May 30, 2010, 04:38 PM
I think it may be because Darwine needs an Intel mac. I may be wrong though.

darwine is supposed to run on powerpc macs (wine is what darwine is based on, and that only runs on intel), but even if you get it to run it will be horribley slow

iThinkergoiMac
May 30, 2010, 08:38 PM
You need an Intel Mac to actually make any use of Darwine. The binaries will install and run on PPC, provided you don't actually try to run a Windows exe through it. Since Darwine is not emulation, but a compatibility layer, Intel is required.

MacHamster68
May 31, 2010, 05:12 PM
what is it you want to do actually , if you want to run windows on it just install virtual pc for mac that comes with windows xp , ok its emulation but runs reasonable on my Mac mini g4 1.42 , emulated processor is a pentium with 600mhz , fast enough for windows to try things out :)

max
May 31, 2010, 06:08 PM
600mhz:eek: last time i tried i got 32mhz, it's kinda funny taking 2 days to install xp and another hour to start up:D

MacHamster68
Jun 1, 2010, 02:08 AM
thats what it says on my mini g4 ,600mhz and 256 mb ram
on my eMac it wil even get 512 mb ram with virtual pc for mac

but i tried another emulator too

i tried Q emulator and there i had this problem of having only a 150mhz processor emulated but 1.5gb ram(on my eMac with 2 gb ram and tiger)), and using windows 2000
which was kinda usable , but q is really funny ,
i managed on it to run windows 2000 emulated on a pentium with 150mhz and then installed q again in windows 2000 to run ubuntu which then run at a 32mhz pentium and 1gb ram installed q in ubuntu and run free dos within ubuntu then running on a 20mhz pentium with 256mb ram :D
yes right i installed a emulator within a emulated OS which itself run in a emulated OS so i could run 4 operating systems at once , and all that without freezing :p these g4 processors are great :p

max
Jun 1, 2010, 05:36 AM
thats what it says on my mini g4 ,600mhz and 256 mb ram
on my eMac it wil even get 512 mb ram with virtual pc for mac

but i tried another emulator too

i tried Q emulator and there i had this problem of having only a 150mhz processor emulated but 1.5gb ram(on my eMac with 2 gb ram and tiger)), and using windows 2000
which was kinda usable , but q is really funny ,
i managed on it to run windows 2000 emulated on a pentium with 150mhz and then installed q again in windows 2000 to run ubuntu which then run at a 32mhz pentium and 1gb ram installed q in ubuntu and run free dos within ubuntu then running on a 20mhz pentium with 256mb ram :D
yes right i installed a emulator within a emulated OS which itself run in a emulated OS so i could run 4 operating systems at once , and all that without freezing :p these g4 processors are great :p
Last time a tried i was using q om my 1.25Ghz g4 mini

MacHamster68
Jun 1, 2010, 06:08 AM
q is alright ,despite being a bit slower then virtual pc
but ok common sense back wouldn't try to play games on a emulated os , but everything else works fine

and running multiple OS at once looks great on the screen :D