PDA

View Full Version : Emac 700Mhz shuts off = Bad power board?

donwolfkonecny
Oct 11, 2004, 04:46 PM
Hello all

My eMac (1.5 years old) shuts off on it's own. Usually after a few minutes after turning on or waking up, sometimes not for several hours, sometimes shuts off a number of times (after being restarted each time).

I called CompUSA and they said it might be the 'power board'
Diagnostics = $120 and the board = $600

this makes the machine not worth maintaining. Any advice?

Is this likely to be the 'power board'? If so, any leads on used ones or something (haven't found one on EBay) and how difficult to replace.

If this was a WinTel machine I would have already replaced the power supply myself no biggie. But I preferred underdog mac but now I feel like I screwed myself with their propietary hardware.

emails welcome

donWolf

slooksterPSV
Oct 11, 2004, 04:57 PM
have you tried checking logs to see if there was an inconsistency in a file (corrupted file or that). I'd try disk-aid to fix any problems.
My computer had a corrupted file and it would shut down automatically when it would try to load a needed program. How did I find out about the file? Because I had another program that had to use the DLL and it said like ERROR-49 Corrupt file or something like that with the name of the DLL File. So I did scandisk and it fixed it up.

mklos
Oct 11, 2004, 05:07 PM
D'oh...if you would of only spent the $169 to buy the 2yr. AppleCare Extended Warranty before the original warranty ran out the parts and labor would of been FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :(

Sounds like its a power board. The only other thing I can think of is if either the hard drive or the optical drive has a short in it somewhere which causes the computer to power down unexpectedly. I seriously doubt thats the problem, but I'm just throwing another possible problem out there for you.

point665
Oct 11, 2004, 05:51 PM
I dont know about the eMac but you can probally use a ATX powersupply and leave it outside the case but plug it in to everything and that would tell you if its powersupply or not...

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html that may help you out with powersupply.

Macmaniac
Oct 11, 2004, 06:11 PM
ACK NO! You cannot use an external power source for the eMac, I have fixed a few of these and their are two major parts. The logic board, and the tube assembly. The tube assembly holds the power board and everything else. Also CompUSA is giving you bogus numbers the tube assembly does not cost that much..... find an independent Apple repair shop and they will probably repair it for a lot less. I strongly believe something within the tube assembly is causing your problem, the eMac for some reason has some weird power problems, especially electrical fluctuations. If the repair is under $450 then go for it, if its more scrap it and get a new eMac, and GET APPLECARE!