Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

053805-product-front-15.jpg

A newly leaked Intel processor roadmap reveals that the company will be releasing a speed-bumped Core i7 processor this fall. The upcoming Core i7-640M will run at a base frequency of 2.8GHz with "turbo boost" speeds up to 3.46GHz. This new processor draws the same power as the current MacBook Pro processors so should be a natural upgrade for Apple.

The MacBook Pro presently tops out at 2.66GHz with the Core i7 processor. It is available in both 15" and 17" models. Apple last updated the MacBook Pro this past April. It's unlikely that Apple will refresh the whole lineup this fall, but could offer the new processor as a build-to-order option. They've done these quiet upgrades in the recent past with the the Mac Pro.

Article Link: MacBook Pro Targeted 2.8GHz Core i7 Processors Due Later This Year

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
fall is Sept-Oct. That would be the next expected update timeframe anyway. I would expect an update in that time.

KayMacRum

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010

new mbp updates later this year?

Great so we can expect it to happen in 2012 sometime.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
The title is a bit misleading....at least use a question mark..

We just have a leaked intel roadmap, I don't read any rumor about a MBP speedbump...

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
It's a licensing issue between Intel and Nvidia iirc

I think that's what he was getting at, hence the need for a bigger case to accommodate the Intel integrated GPU and the NVidia option. Though I could be wrong!

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Yes! An honest to God Mac Rumor! :D

Turbo boost speeds up to 3.46GHz sounds great. How does Turbo Boost work anyways? Is that speed sustainable for prolonged periods? Say hours of continuous rendering on both cores?

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
You define love as a discrete graphic card (with slightly hotter machine, slightly shorter battery life, and slightly larger case) + i5/7 processors?

Sounds good dude. I could live with those caveats if it meant I got a bit more portability than a 15 and a machine that doesn't hang horribly when using Spaces with hot corners.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
as an option :)

I'd be happy to see the back of optical drives altogether..

Same. I'd rather Apple didn't include optical drives in their Macs too but the DRM on iTunes movies makes it necessary for a lot of people to rip their movie collections. I guess external is good though for that single task.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I think that's what he was getting at, hence the need for a bigger case to accommodate the Intel integrated GPU and the NVidia option. Though I could be wrong!

That was my thoughts also; we're all on the same page here.

as an option :)

I'd be happy to see the back of optical drives altogether..

AXE the optical, asap I reckon too! (I want a more elegant solution than Optibay.)

The mini and Air got the treatment, now the 13" please!

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Not really all that great of a speed-bump over what we have now (2.66GHz>2.8 would be more or less unnoticeable). Hopefully Apple offer's better graphics solutions and I/O options (doubtful though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.