PDA

View Full Version : Airport help

Natalia81
Oct 11, 2004, 08:30 PM
So here's my situation....aka PROBLEM:

I have a PC running windows 2000 and a powerbook. Now wired, I have no problem sharing between the two (although, I'm still having problems sharing folders (or external drive) on my mac outside the home folder). I just got an airport express. Set up was easy...no problems connecting to the internet. However, I cannot access my windows machine from my PB wirelessly and vice versa. From my PC I can ping the airport express, and from my PB I can ping everything...router, PC, airport express, etc.

I've got the cable modem going directly to the Netgear wired router, my PC is directly connected to that, as is the Aiport express.

I did a search here and found that one person just typed in the IP address to make the connection, but I don't know where this is done in Mac.

Westside guy
Oct 11, 2004, 09:18 PM
One of the main points of NAT (Network Address Translation) - which is what your Airport Express is doing - is that computer from the outside aren't supposed to be able to see what's going on past the NAT device. So what you're experiencing is exactly what is supposed to happen. FYI this is also one of the advantages of having the Netgear router between your personal computer and the cable modem, since it is doing NAT and will prevent direct access to your PC from the outside world.

You can set up port forwarding for the Airport Express, and this will let you connect from the PC to the AE, which will forward that to your laptop. Check the documentation for the Airport Express.

The Powerbook is behind the Airport Express, and so can see everything outside (such as your PC) just fine.

Natalia81
Oct 12, 2004, 06:53 PM
So i tried disabling NAT on my airport express. Manually configured it to have a certain IP address within my router's range. Router 192.168.0.1; Aiport 192.168.0.4; PB (wireless) 192.168.0.151; PC 192.168.0.2; Well, on the PC I can't see my PB in network neighborhood, can't ping it (but can ping the Airport Exp. However, I can map my PB by IP address\usernameonPB. But my PB can not see or even ping the PC. Internet works fine. I have gone back to the original settings I had before using DHCP and NAT on my airportexp. I have done plenty of searches online and on this forum for port forwarding, but have come up with no clear answer.

Can some help me configure my port forwarding? I know that in the Airport util it's called port mapping, right?

:(