PDA

View Full Version : Screen problems *Pixels or Cord* issue?

my2geldings
May 31, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hey guys,
I'm going to be going through the threads but I haven't found anyone posting about this yet. If there is something, please let me know. Thanks for reading

I am also having some screen issues. My apple Macbook which is just over a year old(and has been dropped once about 6 months ago), has been having some screen issues over the last week. From the word "Window" and for a full 3 inches to the ring, there is a vertical strip all the way to the bottom of the screen with pixels. If you press your fingers against the apple logo on the back of the screen, sometimes it makes it go away, but generally comes back and stays there.

Anyone had this issue? something that can be fixed or not worth the money? I have been looking into getting a new laptop just because of the amount of media I now run..

All advice welcome, thanks again!

revbarabbas
May 31, 2010, 09:42 PM
I am also having some screen issues. My apple Macbook which is just over a year old(and has been dropped once about 6 months ago), has been having some screen issues over the last week. From the word "Window" and for a full 3 inches to the ring, there is a vertical strip all the way to the bottom of the screen with pixels. If you press your fingers against the apple logo on the back of the screen, sometimes it makes it go away, but generally comes back and stays there.

I would say you are getting dead pixels which is pretty common for all computers. Buy Applecare and they will replace the whole screen for the cost of Applecare, otherwise you are looking a $459+labor to repair it...but if you can live with it then that's up to you. Just don't tell them you dropped it.

my2geldings
Jun 2, 2010, 10:59 AM
I would say you are getting dead pixels which is pretty common for all computers. Buy Applecare and they will replace the whole screen for the cost of Applecare, otherwise you are looking a $459+labor to repair it...but if you can live with it then that's up to you. Just don't tell them you dropped it.

Waw even at a year old? dang! I guess I'm going to have to look into getting a new Macbook because I didn't purchase Applecare. What a pain in the crack!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

my2geldings
Jun 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
Got an update!
Thought it might be of interest to those of you who followed the thread, or to those of you who have had or are having the same problem.

Forgive my explaination on this. I really don't understand how things work or connect and I understand and know very little about the functions my computer actually has... :confused:

The Apple store called me yesterday with an update as to what was going on with my computer screen. I had hoped as per the post above, that it was just a lose plug, but unfortunately learned that it wasn't the case. There is a part in the computer that has to do with the main "motherboard"?? of the computer. A thin part that is layerd and connects the computer screen to the rest of the computer. I was told in some computers, somethimes, this "sandwiched" part loosens which causes the computer to get those pixels(and eventually gets worse) and eventually either crashes the computer itself or the screen.

Something that would have been covered by applecare had I bought it 2 years ago....

The cost to replace it was $783.00 and of course a new laptop is $1,000 so not worth fixing. Luckily I just bought a new laptop 2 days ago with the student discount(which ends in 1 month!).

So moral of the story? GET APPLECARE folks!

l.a.rossmann
Jun 5, 2010, 10:18 AM
Got an update!
Thought it might be of interest to those of you who followed the thread, or to those of you who have had or are having the same problem.

Forgive my explaination on this. I really don't understand how things work or connect and I understand and know very little about the functions my computer actually has... :confused:

The Apple store called me yesterday with an update as to what was going on with my computer screen. I had hoped as per the post above, that it was just a lose plug, but unfortunately learned that it wasn't the case. There is a part in the computer that has to do with the main "motherboard"?? of the computer. A thin part that is layerd and connects the computer screen to the rest of the computer. I was told in some computers, somethimes, this "sandwiched" part loosens which causes the computer to get those pixels(and eventually gets worse) and eventually either crashes the computer itself or the screen.

Something that would have been covered by applecare had I bought it 2 years ago....

The cost to replace it was $783.00 and of course a new laptop is $1,000 so not worth fixing. Luckily I just bought a new laptop 2 days ago with the student discount(which ends in 1 month!).

So moral of the story? GET APPLECARE folks!

What model is this? If it's A1226 or A1260 then you should go back there guns blazing!

If it's the newer Unibody model, maybe they mean that piece of the screen at the bottom that the LVDS connector plugs into that hangs off? It's hard to tell from the description.

BurningJah
Jun 6, 2010, 05:50 PM
I had the EXACT same problem with mine! My MB was a 1 year old 3 months out of warranty when this happend!
tapping on the back like you said helped for a moment or two but It always reappeared! I was really godsmacked because after all I paid 12OO for it!
So I went to easyware ( apple reseller ) and the repaired it for me ( took about two weeks ). because they had to see if it was still under warrenty! wich it wasn't but I can't complain! I got a new screen and lid! because when I got it back all the scratsches where gone
Thank you easyware