Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google is phasing out the use of Windows company-wide due to security concerns. The move comes after news in January that Google was hacked in an attack originating in China. Those attacks used a security vulnerability in Internet Explorer for Windows. News of the report comes from FT.com who cites several Google employees.
“We’re not doing any more Windows. It is a security effort,” said one Google employee.
The majority of those moving away from Windows PCs are mostly moving to Mac OS according to another Google employee. New hires are given the option to run Mac OS or a Linux-based machine.

Google employs over 10,000 individuals worldwide.

Article Link: Google Switches Away from Windows (Mostly to Mac) Due to Security Concerns

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Kinda interesting to me considering Apple and Google haven't been getting along well. Glad to see a mass purchase of Macs by the Google giant.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
And now everyone will say how Google is stupid and that this is a sign that they are just giving in to Apple or something

HOWEVER

If you please would direct your attention to this!

I'm selling ONE THOUSAND air molecules for the low price of $5! And every 10th purchaser gets 10 THOUSAND AIR MOLECULES CALL NOW TO WIN

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I bet microsoft isen't to happy about another major company moving away from their platform.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Given the type of people that work at Google, I am betting that most of them would choose linux over OS X.

GL

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Bad PR for MS.

I see this as a mostly PR move too -- mostly due to timing. With Apple getting larger in capitalization then MS last week, Google saw blood and released this press announcement.

Also, if they want real security, there is Linux that you can tie down hard. Hell you can make a PC a web browser only machine if you feel that much need for security. Try that on a Mac or PC!

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
I'm selling ONE THOUSAND air molecules for the low price of $5! And every 10th purchaser gets 10 THOUSAND AIR MOLECULES CALL NOW TO WIN

How do I know you are selling ONE THOUSAND and no less? How are you counting them?

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
Nice - but Overkill?

My take is - you get the platform that you can be the most productive on.

If that is Windows - great, Linux, or Mac - also great.

I would certainly hate to be a Windows only guy at Google and then given a Mac.

that will be quite a learning curve and a hassle for their IT department.

Bill

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
So will this make Mac OS X a big enough target for the vulnerability exploiters?

I doubt it, it's just another 10,000 Macs out there at most. And it won't be 10,000 since there's also Google employees switching to Linux.

HOWEVER you can try winning 10,000 air molecules if you are the 10th purchaser of 1000 air molecules for $5 ACT NOW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.