Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,54333,00.html

Apple 'Switch' Star Flies High
By Leander Kahney

Teenager Ellen Feiss, the "is-she-stoned?" star of one of Apple's new "Switch" ads, is quickly becoming a Web celebrity but not necessarily for reasons that would please the advertiser.

Feiss is featured in an Apple TV ad in which she criticizes her dad's Windows PC for devouring a school paper, an experience she describes as "kind of a bummer."

Soon after Feiss' ad debuted on July 17 during Macworld New York, she became the subject of heated online debate about her, um, seemingly fuzzy state of mind. Commentators at sites like Metafilter noted her speech is somewhat slow and slurred, and her eyes appear to be red.

In the last couple of weeks, a number of fan sites have popped up, created by besotted devotees who think she deserves a higher profile in American pop culture.

Feiss is not yet as famous as Mahir or the "all your base" phenomenon, but her fan base is growing -- and not just among Mac users. She has unique appeal to people who use Windows PCs.

There is Ellen Feiss, the fan site and the Ellen Fan Club: beep beep beep, which has set up a Cafépress Web store to sell T-shirts, coffee mugs and flying discs adorned with her image.

The domains ellenfeis.com and ellenfeissfanclub.com have also been registered but are currently empty.

Feiss has been turned into a set of computer icons that, curiously, can be converted to display on machines running Windows XP. She is also the subject of some wallpaper pictures that decorate a computer's desktop.

Feiss is featured in a large number of Photoshop parodies making the rounds in e-mail and chat forums. Most center on drug use or outrage over Apple's decision to charge for its .Mac Net services and the forthcoming OS X update, Jaguar.

In fact, the Feiss parodies are the only funny Switch satires so far. Unlike Apple's "Think Different" campaign, which was hilariously lampooned, most of the Switch satires have been thunderingly unfunny.

There is also at least one video remix of the Feiss ad in circulation. A short movie of her at Macworld titled Damn I have the munchies is a popular link in chat groups.

Apple's Switch ads feature about a dozen real people talking about switching from Windows PCs to the Mac. Writing in Slate, Rob Walker said the ads were one of the "the most talked-about and pervasive ad campaigns going these days."

Immediately, there was rampant speculation that Feiss was stoned. It was fueled by the ad's unavailability on Apple's website for a few hours, attributed to Apple getting cold feet. But the problem seems to have been a technical glitch; the ad is again online and airing on TV. A print version is running in magazines and on billboards.

Not much is known about Feiss, except that she's a student. She couldn't be contacted for this story, and Apple declined to comment.

Feiss is drawing a lot of comparisons to Dell's young pitchman Steven, the "Dude, you're getting a Dell" character. But a big part of Feiss' appeal is she's real.

"I can't stop watching Ellen Feiss and I'm not alone in this mini-obsession," someone wrote on Kuro5hin, a popular Web forum. "I think it's because she reminds me of the stoner girls I used to hang around with in high school ... sigh. Those were the days."

Shortly after the ad debuted and was generating discussion online, someone named Chris M., registered ellenfleiss.com and redirected it to Ellen Feiss Creative Fun, where Feiss Photoshop parodies were collected.

Jerome Maurey-Delaunay, a New York multimedia producer who ran the site, logged 11,000 visitors in five days and received about 40 Photoshop parodies from contributors. But he pulled most of them down because he felt they could be personally hurtful to Feiss.

"This was never about her personally," he said.

Brandon Caballero, 19, a student at Texas A&M University, put up his Feiss fan site in the hope of getting an e-mail from her.

"It was basically 'cos she's cute," he wrote in an e-mail. "It's the summer, and we didn't have much to do. Getting an e-mail from her would be pretty cool, but I didn't think the chances of that are too high."

Caballero said Feiss' pitch is starting to work on him. He uses a PC, but he's thinking about getting one of Apple's new iBooks. Another factor was losing 20 GB of video footage when recently trying to reinstall Windows XP.

"(I'm) in the same basket as Ellen," Caballero said. "We're both students who lost work on a PC."

Jake Brown of Glorious Noise, an online music magazine, is another PC user who created a fan site devoted to Feiss.

"We at Glorious Noise thought she deserved some kind of tribute because she's brought a smile to so many people's lives," Brown said. "I watched the ad online and thought it was brilliant and that Ellen was totally charming and funny."

The site's Cafépress Web store has sold three Feiss-adorned shirts and a couple of mugs.

Brown said his tribute to Feiss is purely platonic.

"I'd like to talk to Ellen, but I'm not a weirdo stalker maniac," he said. "I am a happily married 30-year-old guy who just got a kick out of her ad. I think she's worthy of a place in American pop culture and I want to make sure her 15 minutes -- well, 30 seconds -- of fame lasts as long as possible."

Personally, my feelings about Ellen Feiss is that she's just so, well, rather cute. ;)

Here's a link to her switch ad.

Included in the article on the Wired website is several other links, including an Ellen Feiss remix ad and Ellen Feiss at MacWorld Expo NY. Funny stuff. :D

What do you think of Ellen Feiss? Discuss.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
"Personally, my feelings about Ellen Feiss is that she's just so, well, rather cute."

I do not know what is worse:

1. A person under drugs doing a TV add.

2. A culture that celebrates drugs in such way.

Worst than a sick person that uses drugs to be able to handle live is a cultura that think "that is the way too go"

Poor sad sick little people those ones. Now wonder Elvis Presley was such icon, a man that died because of drugs was a bout to be the most important of the 20th century in the US.

Very nice celebratting that girl, the colombian guerrilla and the drug cartel are the only ones making money out of that and making fun of all of you.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by mymemory
"Personally, my feelings about Ellen Feiss is that she's just so, well, rather cute."

Worst than a sick person that uses drugs to be able to handle live is a cultura that think "that is the way too go"

Poor sad sick little people those ones. Now wonder Elvis Presley was such icon, a man that died because of drugs was a bout to be the most important of the 20th century in the US.

Very nice celebratting that girl, the colombian guerrilla and the drug cartel are the only ones making money out of that and making fun of all of you.

Oh, don't even go there! That's all specualation with no facts to back it up! Perhaps she didn't get any sleep the night before because she was up late doing homework. That's typical of college students, you know. :p

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
ha, at one of the fan sites they sell Ellen Feiss frisbees, mugs and shirts.

That might be taking it a little too far.

I'd love to see what she has to say about all that.

D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet

I'd love to see what she has to say about all that.

D

I would guess that she's a little freaked out by it all. Maybe she is just tired, she could have discovered the joys of her new iBook and stayed up all night playing games and surfing the web.

And even if she is stoned imagine the market that Apple is reaching, if Apple sold an eMac to every stoner in the country it would really help their market share. ;)

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
So what if she is stoned, I'd be willing to bet more than half the people on this bored smoke weed avery now and again, I quit smoking three years ago, but before that I smoked everyday for awhile, got good grades in high school and College at the time.

People Smoke weed, its fine, get over it. I con't believe y'all are buying into this Drug War BS.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago

you wouldn't happen to have been on drugs when you were typing this were u? colombian guerrilla and drug cartel making money off of pot? The most profitable source of marijuana comes from high quality sensi which is grown RIGHT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES! nobody profits but the growers (in areas where you find weed with seeds, that's the cartel or gangs distributing) dont argue with me i know my chronic :D. ps elvis was an icon before he got into drugs (notice he didn't turn into a fat beast until way later in his career) Plus there is a difference between hard drugs and marijuana, one of the most important ones being you CAN NOT overdose on pot (you'd pass out first) where as a few too many toots of the coca and BOOM your dead.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by Over Achiever
I think its unianimous that she's cute, and the best lookin' girl in the switch ads. ;) As for her being stoned...
:eek:
So what if she is? She's hot!:D

Oh-my-God!

1. If she is the cutes in the campaign... may be, every body there is ugly.

2. Cute? man, you need to take a breake from your computer, a long one (3 months at list).

She is under the average at list here in Venezuela. If you live in NY, I can be agree with you (from NY to Boston there is not much you can find).

That girl could be cute if I am incredible horny (it happens), but she would be at the botton of my choices.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by edvniow
I wonder if she reads Macrumors. It would be interesting to see if she gets voted Ms. Macrumors II, I wonder if she'd be honored, or disgusted...

Man, don't you see? a person like her can hardly stand on her feet. I bet she doesn't even remember if doing that comertial was atrip or a bad dream:cool:

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
maybe she is anemic (sp?)

the disease because of the blood it makes them very tired all of the time and look stoned...one of my friends is and she talks slow so everyone thinks she is on drugs

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Shrek

Oh, don't even go there! That's all specualation with no facts to back it up! Perhaps she didn't get any sleep the night before because she was up late doing homework. That's typical of college students, you know. :p

Geesus I never sleep.
But I never look like THAT. let alone speak that way. :)

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001

Oh-my-God!

1. If she is the cutes in the campaign... may be, every body there is ugly.

2. Cute? man, you need to take a breake from your computer, a long one (3 months at list).

She is under the average at list here in Venezuela. If you live in NY, I can be agree with you (from NY to Boston there is not much you can find).

That girl could be cute if I am incredible horny (it happens), but she would be at the botton of my choices.

BRAVO! Finally some1 said it :)
I know that taste differs but.......... geesus..........

U.G.L.Y

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Heh heh. Good job on keepin' them in line there mymemory :). Sometimes I wonder if we need a bit more women on these boards. With the recent babes and "artistic women" threads, I'm starting to believe it :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.