PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro 2.1 vs 4.1

mfka
Jun 1, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone.

I have a chance to change my Mac Pro 2.1 (8-core) 3.0 GHz for
Mac Pro 4.1 quad 2.66 GHz.
80% of time i use Illustrator and Indesign and 20% Cinema 4D.

So my question is, should i change my current MP or not?

Thank You in advance.

mf

Hellhammer
Jun 1, 2010, 09:53 AM
You still have pretty decent machine and I think quad core would be downgrade, don't have any statistics so more like a guess. I would wait till new Mac Pro, then sell it and get a new one

mfka
Jun 1, 2010, 10:09 AM
That sounds reasonable, the problem is that i always get horny
when i hear “Nehalem”.

I think i will wait, i just checked geekbench and its not worth it.

Thanks.

Hellhammer
Jun 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
That sounds reasonable, the problem is that i always get horny
when i hear “Nehalem”.

I think i will wait, i just checked geekbench and its not worth it.

Thanks.

Doesn't "Gulftown" sound even better? ;)

mfka
Jun 1, 2010, 10:19 AM
hehe, dont do that mate. :D ;)

costabunny
Jun 1, 2010, 10:30 AM
is it wrong for a girl to feel 'warm n fuzzy' when she see's guys talking about Mac Pro's ...... :S

(Stick with the MP you have - benefit is not worth replacing for your uses)

Etherviz
Jun 1, 2010, 10:30 AM
Doesn't "Gulftown" sound even better? ;)

Westmere, more likely, as Gulftown doesn't support multiple processor configurations.

Hellhammer
Jun 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Westmere, more likely, as Gulftown doesn't support multiple processor configurations.

Westmere is the name of 32nm architecture which includes Arrandale, Clarkdale and Gulftown. Gulftown is the name of the six-core chip and there are DP versions of it, e.g. Xeon X5680

nanofrog
Jun 1, 2010, 01:29 PM
is it wrong for a girl to feel 'warm n fuzzy' when she see's guys talking about Mac Pro's ...... :S
:eek: You're awful.... :D :p

BTW, nice to see you back. :)

(Stick with the MP you have - benefit is not worth replacing for your uses)
Definitely.

Depending on budget (assuming it's fairly limited, given the initial consideration of a Quad), the current Nehalem systems should be available at a discount, which will make them more attractive. Grab the fastest Octad possible, and it should serve the OP well (ideally improving as the software advances to be able to utilize Nehalem's architecture). ;)

Umbongo
Jun 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
Westmere is the name of 32nm architecture which includes Arrandale, Clarkdale and Gulftown. Gulftown is the name of the six-core chip and there are DP versions of it, e.g. Xeon X5680

Intel naming fun! Westmere EP is the "brand name" for the 5600 Xeons, Gulftown for the Core i7 ones and I've seen both used for the Xeon 3600s. Oh Intel.

Hellhammer
Jun 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
Intel naming fun! Westmere EP is the "brand name" for the 5600 Xeons, Gulftown for the Core i7 ones and I've seen both used for the Xeon 3600s. Oh Intel.

Hmm, yeah, could be. Intel tries to make it hard for us :p I usually talk about Gulftown when talking about the six-core Westmere as it seems logical