PDA

View Full Version : Weird question about the apple wireless keyboard...

Gahau
Jun 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
Hey guys I am new here =)
I have a question concerning the wireless keyboard or any wireless bluetooth keyboard...
Can I sync the keyboard to 2 machine? One being my iPad and the other to a PC...
I really don't want 2 keyboard on my desk LOL
Is there an app for that?
Any one using the apple wireless keyboard? Happy? or recommend another keyboard?
The reason I might go and purchase the apple one is well, like all apple product it looks HOT!
Another candidate was the Logitech diNovo Edge (but its larger)

What do you guys think?

THANKS

Brookzy
Jun 1, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hey guys I am new here =)
I have a question concerning the wireless keyboard or any wireless bluetooth keyboard...
Can I sync the keyboard to 2 machine? One being my iPad and the other to a PC...
I really don't want 2 keyboard on my desk LOL
Is there an app for that?
Any one using the apple wireless keyboard? Happy? or recommend another keyboard?
The reason I might go and purchase the apple one is well, like all apple product it looks HOT!
Another candidate was the Logitech diNovo Edge (but its larger)

What do you guys think?

THANKS

Yes, you can use it with both devices. Once the keyboard has been paired with both devices, they should remember the keyboard and easily connect. But you will have to reconnect the keyboard to each device every time you change devices. So no need for 2 keyboards.

In my opinion the apple wireless keyboard is one of the best keyboards you can get. And it's not because it's apple, (I hated the old apple keyboard), it's because the keys only need a tap not a press to register and it's quite small so I move my fingers around the keyboard and not my hands, so it's lovely to type on. It's also the only keyboard I can touch type on.

Hope this helps.

Gahau
Jun 1, 2010, 11:19 AM
Yes, you can use it with both devices. Once the keyboard has been paired with both devices, they should remember the keyboard and easily connect. But you will have to reconnect the keyboard to each device every time you change devices. So no need for 2 keyboards.

In my opinion the apple wireless keyboard is one of the best keyboards you can get. And it's not because it's apple, (I hated the old apple keyboard), it's because the keys only need a tap not a press to register and it's quite small so I move my fingers around the keyboard and not my hands, so it's lovely to type on. It's also the only keyboard I can touch type on.

Hope this helps.
Great!
Apple here I come

DougFNJ
Jun 1, 2010, 12:22 PM
Definitely a great keyboard. I recently finally jumped up to an HD TV, occasionally I Plug my laptop across the room to the TV to use it as a monitor. My Apple Bluetoth keyboard that I got specifically for the iPad as well as my Bluetooth Mouse work perfect for across the room :D

I particularly love that it is so portable, I pop my iPad and my keyboard in my briefcase...perfect dual purpose accessory.

Gahau
Jun 1, 2010, 04:46 PM
Definitely a great keyboard. I recently finally jumped up to an HD TV, occasionally I Plug my laptop across the room to the TV to use it as a monitor. My Apple Bluetoth keyboard that I got specifically for the iPad as well as my Bluetooth Mouse work perfect for across the room :D

I particularly love that it is so portable, I pop my iPad and my keyboard in my briefcase...perfect dual purpose accessory.

The actual concern I got is how well does it work with a PC?

Anyone knows?

Thanks

Brookzy
Jun 1, 2010, 04:49 PM

Anyone knows?

Thanks

The keyboard will function with windows, however the controls on the top (brigtness, volume, play/pause etc.) won't work out of the box. They are designed for a Mac. I'm sure you can get some sort of key mapping software, but I haven't tried myself.

DougFNJ
Jun 1, 2010, 05:50 PM

Anyone knows?

Thanks

sorry....should had stated, the laptop is my Primary PC....it runs Windows 7. What I meant was, I occasionally when not watching TV, plug my Laptop into the TV to use a nice 46 inch monitor. Because the laptop is now across the room, I use my Wireless keyboard and mouse on the coffee table, it's a great setup. Typing is perfect if thats all you need the keyboard to do. I never ran media functions off my keyboard....just typed, and if that's all you are looking for it to do....you will be happy.

Gahau
Jun 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
Greaaaat Thanks for all the inputs!

vynn
Jun 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
Try using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to customize the keys that don't work natively in Windows.:

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?FamilyID=8be579aa-780d-4253-9e0a-e17e51db2223

danpass
Jun 5, 2010, 05:01 PM
Do you need a Mac to initiate the keyboard?

Doesn't seem like you should, its just bluetooth, but I was reading the label on the box and it says the same thing the website says:

Minimum System Requirements
iPad

Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, Aluminum Keyboard Software Update 2, and existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup

Two AA batteries (included)

Gahau
Jun 5, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well I works just fine with the iPad... I'll get the BT dongle in a week or so I'll let u guys know
Thanks for the keyboard layout!

dmo1028
Jun 8, 2010, 03:20 PM

Doesn't seem like you should, its just bluetooth, but I was reading the label on the box and it says the same thing the website says:

iPad

Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, Aluminum Keyboard Software Update 2, and existing keyboard and mouse for initial setup

danpass, I'm interested in knowing the answer to this too!

Brookzy
Jun 8, 2010, 03:25 PM

iPad

A Mac is not needed.

Apple won't advertise their keyboard to work with a PC, the keyboard and the function keys are designed for Mac.

The software update is only needed on a Mac, it resolves an issue from a while ago where if the keyboard was used in conjunction with the Magic Mouse, the Mouse's battery died fast.

So no Mac to initiate.

lillumultipass
Jun 9, 2010, 04:41 AM
In my case, I share the BT keyboard between my iMac and the iPad.

The thing is, as I found it a bit cumbersome to have to unpair the keyboard each time, I found an applescript that toggles bluetooth ON/OFF and then I can toggle it back ON with Rowmote Pro on the iPad and quicksilver on the Mac.

danpass
Jun 9, 2010, 08:59 AM
A Mac is not needed.

Apple won't advertise their keyboard to work with a PC, the keyboard and the function keys are designed for Mac.

The software update is only needed on a Mac, it resolves an issue from a while ago where if the keyboard was used in conjunction with the Magic Mouse, the Mouse's battery died fast.

So no Mac to initiate.
Great, thanks :)