PDA

View Full Version : Ten Million Post Avatar Contest

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
MacRumors has passed its ten millionth forum post (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/29/macrumors-reaches-ten-million-forum-posts/). To celebrate, we are having a Ten Million Post Avatar Contest.

Create a new, original avatar, enter the contest following the contest rules, and you may win the coveted prize: MacRumors bragging rights!

You'll also win a "contest winner" badge http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest_winner.png next to all of your posts, the right to use your winning avatar whether or not you have 500 posts, and your place among our Past Contest Winners.

Winners will be chosen in four categories:
Best Static Avatar, General Theme
Best Static Avatar, MacRumors or Ten Million Theme
Best Animated Avatar, General Theme
Best Animated Avatar, MacRumors or Ten Million Theme

Finalists will be selected in each category by the moderators based on technical skill, creativity, humor, and theme. The winner in each of the four categories will be chosen by a public poll among the finalists.

Making an avatar

Avatars can be created with almost any graphics or image editing program. If you don't already have suitable software you can search the forums (particularly the Design and Graphics and Mac Applications forums) for recommendations.

Feel free to ask questions or provide general answers in this thread, as long as each avatar submitted for the contest is that user's own original work.

We're not giving special prizes for avatars created using an iPad, but please share your experiences if you do use an iPad app!

Entering the Contest

The contest submission period begins today and runs through June 13.

To enter the contest, see the rules in the next post. To see the contest entries, watch the threads in the Ten Million Post Contest forum.

We're holding the contest just for fun. We hope you enjoy creating avatars, seeing what others come up with, and helping select the winners!

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2010, 12:11 PM
Contest Rules

1. Dates. The Ten Million Post Contest submission period is 13 days, from today (Tuesday June 1) to end of day Sunday June 13 (midnight eastern time).

The polls for selecting winners will be open for 3 days, from Wednesday June 16 to end of day Friday June 18 (midnight eastern time).

2. Eligibility. Any active MacRumors member can enter the contest and win the contest. Contest entries are by individuals; no team entries. You do not need to have an avatar, or be eligible to have one, to enter the contest. You can enter in all 4 contest categories but can win in at most one category. MacRumors administrators and moderators may either participate in the selection of finalists or participate in the contest but not both.

3. Originality. Contest avatars must be new work done by you. You can submit as many dissimilar avatars as you want but we suggest that you concentrate on quality, not quantity. Please don't enter multiple similar avatars. Submit what you think is your best work.

4. Contest avatars. Each avatar competing in the contest must be the first and only attachment to the first post in a thread in the Ten Million Post Contest forum.

5. Avatar size. Avatars must be within the size limits for forum avatars: jpeg, gif, or png files, at most 75x75 pixels and at most 30,000 bytes (29.3K). Oversize avatars are not eligible.

6. Comments. Anyone may post comments in contest threads. Comments do not affect judging. Standard forum rules apply.

7. Etiquette. All contest entries must be family-friendly and in good taste. Do not campaign for your avatars or against other users' avatars.

Judging Criteria

Contest avatars are to be judged by technical skill, creativity, and humor.

Avatars with a MacRumors and/or Ten Million theme are to be judged on their interpretation of that theme as well.

Evaluations are not to be based on thread title, post text, which user created them, or opinions other than your own.

How to Enter the Contest

To enter the contest: Double-check that your avatar is at most 75x75 pixels and at most 30,000 bytes so it won't be disqualified.
Click here (http://forums.macrumors.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=147) to start a new thread in the Ten Million Post Contest forum.
Give the thread any title you want.
Use the Manage Attachments button to upload and attach a single contest avatar. Do not attach any other files. You may convert your avatar to an inline attachment but this is not necessary.
You may not use IMG/TIMG/URL tags to link to an image elsewhere on the Internet or even at MacRumors. Your contest avatar must be attached to your post.
One contest avatar per thread. If you want to enter another avatar, start another thread.
Optional: Describe your avatar, how you made it, where you got the idea, etc. The forum system requires that you include some text in a post so you can type "my avatar" if you have nothing else to say.
Submit your new thread!
Do not edit your contest post after the June 13 deadline or it may become ineligible. Threads submitted after June 13 will not be eligible for the contest.

You do not have to indicate which contest category your avatar is for. If your avatar has a MacRumors or Ten Million theme (in the opinion of the moderators) it will be judged in one of these contest categories:

Otherwise it will be judged in either of these categories:

Contest Winners

1. Finalists. After June 13 the moderators will check eligibility, identify the category for each avatar, select finalists in each category based on the Judging Criteria, and prepare polls to let members vote for the winning entries. A forum member can have finalists in multiple categories but at most one avatar per category.

2. Voting. All active forum members who joined before June 2010 are eligible to vote once in each of the four categories. (The cutoff date is to prevent cheaters from padding vote counts by re-registering or getting friends to join.) Users should vote based on the Judging Criteria, not based on personal popularity, member status, or other factors not related to the contest.

3. Winners. When the polls close, vote counts will determine the contest winners. The final vote counts shown in the poll may be reduced after the polls close once votes by ineligible users are removed.

To prevent one very talented user from dominating the contest, winners will be determined by the MACS system (the MacRumors Algorithm for Contest Selection): Contest avatars will be sorted by eligible votes and secondarily by contest thread number (the thread submitted earlier ranks higher). The first avatar in the list wins in its category. Other avatars in that category and other avatars by that user are then removed from the list and the procedure is repeated 3 more times.

4. Ties. Because of MACS there can be no ties.

5. Rules. It is your responsibility to follow the contest rules to be eligible to win. If you have comments or questions about the contest rules and procedures, post them in this thread. If you don't follow the rules your contest submission may be disqualified without notification.

6. Prizes. The four winning users get four prizes:
Bragging rights.
Use of your winning avatar. Even if you are not yet avatar-eligible (user title 6502a or higher) you will be allowed to use your winning avatar. This is the only way in which you can have an avatar without having 500 or more posts.
Contest winner badge. The http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest_winner.png icon will appear next to your posts (under your user title) as long as you remain an active forum member.
A permanent place in our showcase of Past Contest Winners.

7. Problems. Should unforeseen circumstances arise or rule interpretations be necessary, the moderators will make the decisions. We'll do our best to keep the contest fair and fun!

Good luck, contestants!

Jun 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
Gosh, I must be tired after work...so many rules to read...I'll pass, thanks. Good luck to all participants..!

goobot
Jun 1, 2010, 12:45 PM
so many rules

nick1516
Jun 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm close to 500 posts anyways, and I suck at drawing, so I'm going to pass.:p

niuniu
Jun 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
Anyone got a TLDR? I'm guessing you just have to make an avatar and submit it before a certain date? :D

-aggie-
Jun 1, 2010, 01:17 PM
So, how much money do we win?:confused::D

jav6454
Jun 1, 2010, 01:21 PM
So, how much money do we win?:confused::D

Depends on how much and how many people will pitch in.

miles01110
Jun 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Are we allowed to use the Macrumors logo as part of the Avatar?

jds3266
Jun 1, 2010, 01:33 PM
I might be new to online contests but bragging rights? A post on a forum page? Might as well give you a copy of Windows 95...

Seriously, this is a bit lame.

miles01110
Jun 1, 2010, 01:35 PM

Oh, I guess you didn't get the memo that the contest isn't mandatory.

niuniu
Jun 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
I might be new to online contests but bragging rights? A post on a forum page? Might as well give you a copy of Windows 95...

Yeah I can see your point of view, but If you're a forum junkie then that medal would be really awesome :D

ngenerator
Jun 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, I guess you didn't get the memo that the contest isn't mandatory.

It isn't? Wth? It should be!

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2010, 02:03 PM
Are we allowed to use the Macrumors logo as part of the Avatar?
Yes you are.

Compile 'em all
Jun 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
Ok, what do I win? :p

RalfTheDog
Jun 1, 2010, 02:34 PM
Are we allowed to use the Google logo in a blender?

:)

Animalk
Jun 1, 2010, 03:16 PM
Are we allowed to modify any apple icons for our own use?

Doctor Q
Jun 1, 2010, 03:46 PM
A free Internet link to click on (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10015517&postcount=15). While supplies last.

Are we allowed to use the Google logo in a blender? Only if the top is on securely.

Are we allowed to modify any apple icons for our own use?
Fair use rules applies. It's never been an issue in the past.

JoeDRC
Jun 1, 2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I want one of those badges aha :D

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 1, 2010, 04:43 PM
So where do I post my winning avatar? Do I upload it here in this thread?

Eric S.
Jun 1, 2010, 05:34 PM

The buttons on your avatar don't even function! :rolleyes:

Just like my dog, I like my avatar even though it's not a prizewinner.

xUKHCx
Jun 1, 2010, 11:59 PM
So where do I post my winning avatar? Do I upload it here in this thread?

Start a new thread in the 10 million post avatar contest forum

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147

ethical
Jun 2, 2010, 09:00 AM
God I want one of those blue badges! Haha.
I've got a few ideas, let's just hope I've got the technical ability to fulfil them!
Good luck everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing some great 'tars.

chaosbunny
Jun 4, 2010, 05:29 AM
Are we allowed to use our contest avatars as our regular avatars (before june 13th)?

Doctor Q
Jun 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
Are we allowed to use our contest avatars as our regular avatars (before june 13th)?
Sure. That's the reason that the contest rules require that avatars be within certain size limits - so they can be used as your forum avatar.

xUKHCx
Jun 5, 2010, 06:57 AM
I'm impressed by the number of entrants so far, there are some really really good ones.

Hope we have many more entrants before the end.

harry*333
Jun 13, 2010, 09:05 AM
:eek:
Oh no last day
Good luck to all:cool:

skikid419
Jun 13, 2010, 05:25 PM
:eek:
Oh no last day
Good luck to all:cool:

last minute entry
i've always been a procrastinator ;)

Doctor Q
Jun 14, 2010, 12:48 AM
The entry period for the Ten Million Post Avatar Contest has ended. Thank you to the 39 forum members who entered 61 avatars in the contest.

Note to those members: Do not edit the first post in your contest thread since that may make your entry ineligible. But you or anyone else can continue to post comments in the threads in this forum.

The contest finalists will be determined by the forum moderators (those who did not participate in the contest themselves) based on avatar eligibility, technical skill, creativity, and humor. From Wednesday June 16 to end of day Friday June 18 (midnight eastern time) polls will be open to select the winner in each of the four contest categories:

The winners will be determined by the results of the polls as described in the Contest Rules.

May the best avatars win!

Peace
Jun 14, 2010, 12:51 AM
You mean don't edit the post after the contest is closed right ?

Doctor Q
Jun 14, 2010, 12:56 AM
You mean don't edit the post after the contest is closed right ?
Correct, since the contest is now closed. We want to "freeze" the avatars as they are now.

If any new threads are started they won't be eligible for the contest.

skikid419
Jun 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
good luck to all

Doctor Q
Jun 16, 2010, 11:00 AM
Please help select the winners of the Ten Million Post Avatar Contest.

All MacRumors members who registered for the forums before June 2010 can vote once in each of the four polls:Best Static Avatar, General Theme

Vote for your favorites!

Each of the five finalists, listed in random order, were selected by the forum moderators. Please vote based on technical skill, creativity, and humor. For the "MacRumors or ten-million" themed contests, consider interpretation of that theme as well. Do not base your vote on member status, comments in the contest threads, poll threads, or this thread, or other factors not related to the contest criteria.

This poll will be open through the end of Friday June 18, 2010, closing at midnight Eastern time. When the polls close, vote counts will determine the contest winners, as described in the Contest Rules above. The final vote counts shown in the poll may be reduced after votes by ineligible users are removed. We will announce the winners in this thread.

The four winners (guaranteed to be different) will receive priceless bragging rights, a Contest Winner badge http://images.macrumors.com/im/contest_winner.png next to all of their forum posts, and a featured spot in a contest gallery. They may use their winning avatar even if they are not otherwise eligible for an avatar by post count.

Thank you to all of the members who entered the contest or commented on the entries. Good luck to the finalists. May the best avatars win!

TheSlush
Jun 17, 2010, 12:49 AM
Is it maybe worth a reminder post on the front page (or Page 2) to maximize voter turnout at the polls? :p

harry*333
Jun 17, 2010, 09:27 AM
Is it maybe worth a reminder post on the front page (or Page 2) to maximize voter turnout at the polls? :p

That's what I was thinking

Doctor Q
Jun 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
The winners of the Ten Million Post Avatar Contest are:
Best Static Avatar, General Theme: harry*333

Best Static Avatar, MacRumors or Ten Million Theme: Tilpots

Best Animated Avatar, General Theme: ComputersaysNo

Best Animated Avatar, MacRumors or Ten Million Theme: TheSlush
The closest race was in the Avatar Contest: Best Static Avatar, MacRumors or Ten Million Theme category, with the lead changing hands several times and Tilpots finally winning by a single vote. Congratulations to all members who entered the contest. We hope you had fun. Special congratulations to chaosbunny, solarthecat, and TheSlush for making the finals in two categories.

You can see the winning avatars, avatars earning Honorable Mention, and all other eligible contest entries in the Ten Million Post Avatar Contest - Winners and Gallery thread.