Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjock

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Hello.

What is the solution to prevent having several songs from the same artist independantly listed on my ipod.

For example if I have several beatles songs sourced from various compilation cd's I may have a few "beatles" entries on the ipod.

I would prefer to have one "beatles" list which contains all of the songs by this artist regardless of where the songs were sourced.

TIA

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
This is what I do, maybe it works. Often 'Coheed and Cambria' shows up as 'Coheed & Cambria' resulting it in being listed as two artists.
1. I highlight the songs I want to change in iTunes and hit command-I or whatever the function is to bring up the tag info.
2. Change the artist, select it and copy it.
3. Hit next and paste the new info.
4. Finish for all songs.

You can change whatever info you want in there and might help you.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello.

What is the solution to prevent having several songs from the same artist independantly listed on my ipod.

For example if I have several beatles songs sourced from various compilation cd's I may have a few "beatles" entries on the ipod.

I would prefer to have one "beatles" list which contains all of the songs by this artist regardless of where the songs were sourced.

TIA

First, take the advice from the previous poster: Make sure the artist names are actually the same.

Also check View->Column Browser->Group Compilations, which turns a compilation into an album of its own or into separate artists, depending which setting you choose. You might want that turned off.

And check View->Column Browser->Use Album Artist; that is useful if you have an album by one artist, and he does a duet and that song has two artists listed, and you want all the songs appear under the same heading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.