Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
I have a G3 Beige Minitower (233MHz model) that I recently upgraded with a A/V Personality card I got from a friend of mine. It booted with the new personality card just fine.

Now I got ahold of a G3 450MHz ZIF processor card and I put it into my G3, swapping out the old 233MHz one. I also took off the red jumper block and put some jumpers in place for a 450MHz processor. (Thanks to MacAddict Issue 30 for the pinouts, see "Overclocking your G3")

Now I got it booting, chiming and the power light going green, but no video coming out of the onboard video card (that came with the machine).

I also have another Hard Drive, a Ultra-Wide SCSI card and a USB card, all 3rd party.

Is there a simple remedy for this problem?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
check that the video cable is screwed in securely and that the monitor is actually powered up. If that doesn't work then try reseating the video card, because maybe you bumped it out while you were working inside the case. If that doesn't work, try swapping in the old cpu and seeing if the video works, that way you'll know if the new cpu is the problem.

urbanracer34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
The video cable was secure. I double checked it.
I swapped the old 233MHz processor along with resetting the jumper settings and she booted back up right away.
Thanks for the help.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Have you tried pressing the CUDA button? If it chimes with the new CPU then it works. If the CUDA button doesn't fix things then try clearing the PRAM.

Just to clear something up.. any working CPU will NOT prevent the video from working as motulist suggested. The CPU does not power the video. When a Mac chimes that means that at least the PSU, CPU, RAM and motherboard work fine.

Sometimes with a major hardware addition an older Mac needs a board reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.