Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
I know, it must be a silly question but I am still going to ask.

Is there a way to copy the OS or the whole hard drive from a PC and use in a Mac under Bootcamp?

I currently need Windows XP in order to work from home, but don't want to pay a ridiculous amount for something that I am only going to use for a few weeks. I noticed that the cheaper version of Acer Revo nettop PC comes loaded with Win XP and can be found for under $200. The downside is that I don't need the Revo for anything else and it may not be powerful enough for my work tasks. If there is a way to make a bootable copy of Win XP (as we do with Carbon Copy Clooner on Mac), I can actually copy the OS to my Mac and give the Revo to my in-laws so that they can use it as an HTPC.

Does anyone think that it's possible?

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure you could do that via the latest version of VMWare Fusion, it converts the contents on the PC to a virtual disk. I'm not sure you could do that at bootcamp tho.

johnhw

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
e28e62d397fba8a943fd5a9860447ef7.png

You could do it via VMWare fusion, as what I've said, use the Migration Assistant that comes with VMWare..tho it costs 75 bucks, there is a 30-day trial so you could use XP for 4 weeks within the trial. ;)

redmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
e28e62d397fba8a943fd5a9860447ef7.png

You could do it via VMWare fusion, as what I've said, use the Migration Assistant that comes with VMWare..tho it costs 75 bucks, there is a 30-day trial so you could use XP for 4 weeks within the trial. ;)

Thanks a lot for the tip. I will certainly consider this option.

redmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
Once you've got it as a VMWare VM, you could migrate that over to the free VirtualBox.

B

After reading VMWare forums for a while, I noticed that people have been having difficulties copying their OEM versions of Windows. It seems like I can't copy the OS from a new PC unless I have the CD or the product key.

It was too good to be true. Thanks anyway for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.