PDA

View Full Version : Screen Film/Protector Recommended?

$MacUser$
Jun 2, 2010, 02:46 AM
Given the iPad's screen is glass (and not polymer/acrylic), I'd imagine the screen films/protectors would not be necessary...but what do you guys think?

mcdj
Jun 2, 2010, 08:51 AM
Given the iPad's screen is glass (and not polymer/acrylic), I'd imagine the screen films/protectors would not be necessary...but what do you guys think?

Totally unnecessary, unless you don't happen to like fingerprints and glare. And there is no shortage of people reporting scratches on naked screens.

Repeat after me...
-Glass is not scratch proof.
-Screen protectors can do more than just protect from scratches.

travistaylor
Jun 2, 2010, 09:15 AM
I just installed a PowerSupport anti-glare protector, and I must say that I vastly prefer the feel of the screen with the protector on it. The glare is gone, and the overall feel is better since the fingerprints are essentially eliminated.

nowstime
Jun 2, 2010, 09:43 AM
Power Support anti-glare is great, the vividness of the screen is a bit down but the overall feel is great and glare is gone.

GoCubsGo
Jun 2, 2010, 09:43 AM
PowerSupport Anti-Glare. It hardly affects the vivid color and sharpness. Well worth every penny.

sracer
Jun 2, 2010, 10:55 AM
I have my iPad in a folio-style case and prefer NOT to have a screen protector. Most protectors (especially the anti-glare ones) affect the sharpness of the display to some extent. Protectors can also vary in how easily fingerprints and smudges are removed. The bare glass screen is easy to clean with a typical screen cleaning cloth that comes with a MBP. Some protectors make it more difficult. If you plan on using a stylus, protectors can introduce additional "drag" or friction.

Ultimately, there is no single correct answer, but depends upon personal preference.

bassanoclapper
Jun 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
I never used to use a screen protector with my iPhone until I got a pretty hefty scratch on it. I'll be picking up a pack for my iPad next time I'm at the Apple Store

KevKaos
Jun 2, 2010, 01:55 PM
I had an Invishield put on before I ever knew that there was anything better. Still happy I did it though because the guy doing to install screwed the first one up and had to start over. The second time he did a really fine job. Much better than i would have been able to do. I would have had bubble city going on. I must say that I really liked how smoothly my finger would slide across the screen when nude, and I miss that. Fingerprints are not gone, but diminished. Glare has reduced. I understand now that there are supposedly better products, but with the lifetime warranty and the fine install job, I'm happy and I feel safer.

The Samurai
Jun 2, 2010, 02:35 PM
Zagg Invisible Shield (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvV60js82Y) ftw.

leehal
Jun 2, 2010, 02:57 PM
Does anyone know any UK stockists of the Power Support screen protectors?

felt.
Jun 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
+1 for ps ag

No glare and greatly reduced fingerprints all over display and easier to clean off what littler smudges to accumulate

$MacUser$
Jun 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
Are these easy enough to install by the end-user without bubbles/dirt/etc, or will it be a PITA?

EDIT: In the image for the powersupport film on their webpage, it doesn't look as though the hole for the button actually lines up with the button??

DenniZ
Jun 2, 2010, 04:56 PM
Does anyone know any UK stockists of the Power Support screen protectors?

Ebay is your friend here. I got some off ebay, 6 protectors for 7, so if i do somehow scratch one, i can quickly replace it. Based on the same system of static application, hence no water is required and no residue.

Cheaper than the branded power support ones.

Houls
Jun 2, 2010, 09:36 PM
I had an Invishield put on before I ever knew that there was anything better. Still happy I did it though because the guy doing to install screwed the first one up and had to start over. The second time he did a really fine job. Much better than i would have been able to do. I would have had bubble city going on. I must say that I really liked how smoothly my finger would slide across the screen when nude, and I miss that. Fingerprints are not gone, but diminished. Glare has reduced. I understand now that there are supposedly better products, but with the lifetime warranty and the fine install job, I'm happy and I feel safer.

Same here except mine is Ghost Armor installed at a kiosk outside the Apple store. Less glare, less fingerprints, lifetime warranty, piece of mind....

mcdj
Jun 2, 2010, 10:23 PM
Cheaper than the branded power support ones.

And by many accounts, more cheaply made. In depth tests posted here and elsewhere show that the PS AG film is superior to many name brand offerings, let alone random no-name brands from ebay. All films are not created equal. To call the PS "branded" would indicate they all come from the same factory...they do not.

DaddyWhale
Jun 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
I got the PS ag a couple of days ago. The negatives for me outweigh the positives. I'm probably going to take it off my iPad. But it comes down to individual preferences. My guess is, though, if you do not like the PS ag you won't like any other anti-glare screen protector either - it seems to be the best of the bunch

Positives
1. Pretty easy to put on and take off
2. Very good with fingerprints and smudges
3. Very good with glare

Negatives
1. Images are less sharp
2. Get the grainy-ness and shimmer of matte computer monitors. BUT (this is my guess) because your eyes are so much closer to the iPad screen than to a regular computer screen the effect is more noticeable.
3. I don't like the feel of the touch surface with the ag on. Prefer the feel of the glass, which lets your finger glide better

DW

leons
Jun 5, 2010, 12:19 PM
I can never put these on well. Anyone knows of anywhere in the Boston area where I can buy one and get it installed?

$MacUser$
Jun 5, 2010, 02:18 PM
Ordered the PS AG...should be here soon. I have a screen protector on my enV Touch, so I doubt any of the negatives will be an issue for me. And given I'm putting it on before I even boot the thing up, I doubt I'll know either way.

niter
Jun 6, 2010, 11:13 AM
My PS AG arrived a few days after my iPad and during the wait I wondered if I really was going to need it. The bare iPad screen is gorgeous. However, i have found that my experience has been enhanced with using the AG coating. I do not have to tone down the brightness to prevent eye strain, typing is easier with less mistakes, and overall my comfort level around two small children is increased.

I wish that PS offered samples of their products. It was hard to decide between the crystal clear protector and the antiglare one-no one has really reviewed the crystal clear one. My spouse thinks he would enjoy the crystal clear one as he does not care for the AG effect (it is like a matte computer screen). However he is near sighted and i am farsighted and wear reading glasses. I like this effect and the ease on my eyes so tremendously that i am considering opting for matte vs gloss in my next Mac laptop.

$MacUser$
Jun 6, 2010, 03:05 PM
I got the AG. It arrived a yesterday...if only Apple had forwarded me an iPad at the same time...

...I've never used, nor really cared for gloss computer screens, so I'm assuming the anti-glare was the right choice for me.

sonofpismo
Jun 6, 2010, 03:50 PM
Normally I would have said not necessary, but since I had been baby-ing my iPad since April 3rd... and using it mostly at home... I have two faint scratches on the glass.

They are only visible when the screen is off and at a certain angle. But they are there.

Next time I will have a screen protector ready to apply right after un-boxing.

$MacUser$
Jun 6, 2010, 06:06 PM
Normally I would have said not necessary, but since I had been baby-ing my iPad since April 3rd... and using it mostly at home... I have two faint scratches on the glass.

They are only visible when the screen is off and at a certain angle. But they are there.

Next time I will have a screen protector ready to apply right after un-boxing.

This is exactly what I intend to do. I'm so OCD about my gizmos that if I get any kind of imperfection like that it drives me nuts.

I think the PS AG was the right choice. I'm just hoping it isn't a PITA to install. Doesn't seem like it will be, but if I have any kind of bubbles, dust, etc, I get all uptight about it.

raymond lin
Jun 6, 2010, 06:22 PM
Where can you get the Power Support anti-glare protector in the UK? I can't even find it on ebay? :(

$MacUser$
Jun 7, 2010, 12:04 AM
Where can you get the Power Support anti-glare protector in the UK? I can't even find it on ebay? :(

You'd have to order from Power Support direct.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/

jzeddy
Jun 7, 2010, 11:24 AM
I wish that PS offered samples of their products. It was hard to decide between the crystal clear protector and the antiglare one-no one has really reviewed the crystal clear one. My spouse thinks he would enjoy the crystal clear one as he does not care for the AG effect (it is like a matte computer screen). However he is near sighted and i am farsighted and wear reading glasses. I like this effect and the ease on my eyes so tremendously that i am considering opting for matte vs gloss in my next Mac laptop.

I had the PS AG for 4 weeks, but decided to change to the Crystal this weekend. It really is a matter of personal taste, but for me the rainbow effect made reading e-books and webpages less than enjoyable. So much so, in fact, that I had gone back to my Kindle for reading books.

The Crystal version does attract more fingerprints than AG, but less than the screen alone. And I don't mind wiping it with whatever is around because I know that the screen is covered. As for glare, I do miss having the anti-glaring properties, but it is (like all things) a trade-off. I do love having the bright and clear screen back. (Of course, I did put my AG screen protector away carefully as a hedge, in case I change my mind.)

$MacUser$
Jun 7, 2010, 03:40 PM
What's this rainbow effect you speak of? Please tell me I didn't just wate $25 on "the best" screen protector...

jzeddy
Jun 7, 2010, 03:54 PM
What's this rainbow effect you speak of? Please tell me I didn't just wate $25 on "the best" screen protector...

If you want anti-glare properties, then many (both expert reviewers and users) agree that the PS AG is the best combination of anti-glare and clarity. Many who use the PS AG protector love it for all uses. And it is a great product.

However, there are some (myself included) who are bothered by the rainbow effect when you have a white or near-white background. Basically, when reading e-Books, I notice very small specks of colors, primarily red and blue, throughout the screen that is created by the matted nature of the screen protector. It reminds me of the old LCD large screen rear projection TVs that were popular 5-10 years ago. Some people complained about the "screen door" effect and the individual colors that they saw with white backgrounds (such as when there was a pan of a scene with snow). Most users (of such TVs and the PS AG screen protectors) don't seem to be bothered by it at all.

$MacUser$
Jun 7, 2010, 04:15 PM
I really wish they would state these shortcomings clearly in product literature. I notice the rainbow effect on DLPs...this will probably drive me nuts on the iPad.

Prolanman
Jun 7, 2010, 08:07 PM
Has anyone had a problem getting their AG Sheild from Power Support. I ordered over 3 weeks ago and have emailed them, but I guess they don't seem to care about their customers enough to respond to them.

$MacUser$
Jun 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
Has anyone had a problem getting their AG Sheild from Power Support. I ordered over 3 weeks ago and have emailed them, but I guess they don't seem to care about their customers enough to respond to them.

They've always been very good at returning my emails in a timely fashion. I'd suggest calling them.

Zepaw
Jun 7, 2010, 10:57 PM
Had my iPad for a month and not a scratch. I tend to have it in a sleeve when not in use. I probably would get a protector but I am not very confident in my ability to put it on and I did not have much left after buying the iPad itself.

brentsg
Jun 7, 2010, 11:01 PM
I purchased a crystal film from Power Support.

I could see some imperfections that looked like like bubbles on the film (pre-installation) as well as one slight crease (likely from shipping).

I figured this stuff would work itself out upon installation, with a bit of time to cure. Unfortunately all the imperfections are perfectly visible, as is the crease.. which looks the worst.

I'll give them a call or drop them an e-mail to see what they offer for support, but so far I'm unimpressed.