PDA

View Full Version : Help with iflicks and handbrake audio conversion

Steddie
Jun 2, 2010, 06:50 AM
I have been using handbrake to convert my dvd collection / lovefilm rentals with no probs but I decided to make the collection look better using metaX and / or iflicks. Like a couple of users on this forum I found MetaX quickly corrupted the original file so I moved onto iflicks. Again it works ok but converts everything to a quicktime mov in stereo only and the iflicks faq page and preferences doesnt seem to have the optiopn to retain 5:1. As a result I'm still using iflicks as a lazy way of getting art and synopsis ( it takes 1 hr per film..) which I then copy back into the original handbrake version but in doing so lose parental guidance ratings...this seems a little bit backwards to me. Are there any other suggestions?. When I just copy the artwork directly from imb.com or other site the thumbnail is very small but is the right size when sourced from iflicks - probably the main reason I'm still presevering this way.

jendrik
Jun 6, 2010, 11:19 AM
I would suggest using HandBrake to encode the video files for the device you want to use it with. Afterwards you can import the resulting mp4/m4v file into iTunes using the "Flatten to QuickTime Movie" preset in iFlicks.
That way iFlicks is able to keep the existing file and just add metadata.

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
I would suggest using HandBrake to encode the video files for the device you want to use it with. Afterwards you can import the resulting mp4/m4v file into iTunes using the "Flatten to QuickTime Movie" preset in iFlicks.
That way iFlicks is able to keep the existing file and just add metadata.
That's right. I use iFlicks all the time, but on files I've converted with HB first. Mostly the MKV downloads that are too much for ATV to play. I save them to m4v then run through iFlicks. In the "Flatten to QuickTime Movie" mode, if the file is already iTunes/ATV playable, it will only add the meta data and copy the file over (with meta data added).

Steddie
Jun 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
this worked perfectly - many thanks! Strange it isn't so clear on the iflicks website