PDA

View Full Version : what can I do with 200mb?

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 07:55 AM
hey

so what can I actually do with 200mb a month? I have wireless at home and the office. My social demands are low, old dad, who lives in the country. Probably want to use it more intensively on weekends or vacations.

I would use daily for:
checking emails
listening to MLB at bat
websurfing
geeking out with apps

For intensive weekends:
Google maps

prfrma
Jun 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
I've had an iphone 3d for 18 months now on o2 unlimited. I've downloaded 1.3 GB of cell network data over that time. (an average of 72mb a month) and I use it quite often for web browsing and stuff.

Honestly, if you've got wifi at home, I wouldn't sweat it.

Tankfantry
Jun 2, 2010, 08:41 AM
just don't tether and you shouldn't have a problem unless you are watching videos and downloading **** all day. I think I have had my phone for almost 2 years now and have used 6.2GB.

gloss
Jun 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah, honestly. If you're mostly text-based (IM, Twitter, Wikipedia, etc) you'll be fine on 200mb. Even 2GB is more than enough to cover the majority of people unless you're using your phone as your one and only internet connection.

chriskzoo
Jun 2, 2010, 08:49 AM
I have a similar setup (home/office) and we often go on trips where I need Maps or to veg out at the in-laws house and think my average use was about 180MB a month. As long as the spigot "turns off" when you reach the 200MB, I would jump on the $15 plan in a heartbeat. If I reached the limit after 25 days, I wouldn't really give a crap if I had to wait a few days for it to kick back in versus throwing and extra $10-15 out the window each month for a cap I would never come close to.

thelatinist
Jun 2, 2010, 08:50 AM
A couple of months ago I would have jumped on this plan, since I have never used more than 200 MB/mo in the nine months I've had my phone. But, with the possibility of videochat around the corner on the 4G, I am hesitating. I think I'm going to have to stick with my unlimited plan for now and see what things look like in a couple of months.

Small White Car
Jun 2, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have wifi at home but not at work and I tend to use about 700 MB a month of AT&T data.

Honestly, I woudn't jump on anything too quickly. Get the 'My Wireless' app from AT&T and check your data usage on it every day for the next 3 or 4 weeks. See how it goes.

I'm considering the 2 GB plan since I rarely go over 1 GB, but I'm not going to do it now. I'll keep monitoring my usage for the next month (including a week-long trip to Disney World) to make sure I'll really be safe.

There's no harm in taking a little time to be certain.

NikeTalk
Jun 2, 2010, 08:58 AM
Soon the iPhone will be so limited that it will just be a big waste of money.

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 09:02 AM
yeah I don't have an iphone because there was no way I was paying 30bucks a month for my limited data needs. If I was still living in SF, taking the bus everyday, and out and about all the time it would have been a different story. But now with the 15 dollar plan things are changing.

I am probably the demographic ATT is going for.

Small White Car
Jun 2, 2010, 09:05 AM
yeah I don't have an iphone because there was no way I was paying 30bucks a month for my limited data needs.

Ah.

Then I'd suggest asking AT&T about upgrading from one plan to another and how that works. (I'm assuming it's easy.)

If so, I'd say you should get the $15 plan and the monitoring app. Force yourself to stay within 200 MB. At the end of the month, either keep that plan or change to the $25 plan if it seemed too difficult.

I'm betting you can do it. My wife used 400 MB this month and she often forgets to sign on to Wifi at home.

zmttoxics
Jun 2, 2010, 09:06 AM
I concur with the others on this one. I have 6GB a month and use maybe 40MB. Kind of a waste, but its there incase i need to tether in emergencies.

grantsdale
Jun 2, 2010, 09:08 AM
I've had an iphone 3d for 18 months now on o2 unlimited. I've downloaded 1.3 GB of cell network data over that time. (an average of 72mb a month) and I use it quite often for web browsing and stuff.

Honestly, if you've got wifi at home, I wouldn't sweat it.

Under 'Cellular Network Data' thats all time since you've had the phone, or done a 'reset'? Just looking for confirmation.
If thats true, I only use 45mb a month on average. I'm pretty sure when I switched from the 3G to the 3GS it carried over that information, but even if it didn't its still only using 90mb a month. Guess I can switch to the 200mb plan. And even if I got close I would just switch for that month to the 2 gig plan.

thelatinist
Jun 2, 2010, 09:11 AM
yeah I don't have an iphone because there was no way I was paying 30bucks a month for my limited data needs. If I was still living in SF, taking the bus everyday, and out and about all the time it would have been a different story. But now with the 15 dollar plan things are changing.

I am probably the demographic ATT is going for.

This brings the entry-level pricing for the iPhone down from $70/mo +tax to $55/mo +tax, which may be within reach of a lot of people who otherwise couldn't justify the monthly cost of an iPhone.

For my wife and me, this has the potential to bring the total cost for two iPhones on a family plan from $129.99 to $99.99 with absolutely no change in our usage (but, as I said, I'll wait and see how things go with videochat).

thelatinist
Jun 2, 2010, 09:14 AM
Then I'd suggest asking AT&T about upgrading from one plan to another and how that works. (I'm assuming it's easy.)

Not only is it easy but, according to the press release, they're going to allow you to do it retroactively! If you get near the end of the month and have used 500 MB, you will be able to switch to the $25/2MB plan and avoid paying for any overages at all.

bova80
Jun 2, 2010, 09:22 AM
why don't you just go on your att account online and look at your monthly usage and look and see about what you average every month.

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 09:33 AM
why don't you just go on your att account online and look at your monthly usage and look and see about what you average every month.

I don't have an iphone or any other smartphone.

whsbuss
Jun 2, 2010, 09:34 AM
Here's a question. I currently have the BB Bold 9000 w/AT&T and the wife has a regular cell phone. We both plan on getting the new iPhone in August when we're eligable for a discounted upgrade. She will be fine with the $25/month plan but will AT&T let me transfer my BB data plan ($29.99) to the new iPhone?

prfrma
Jun 2, 2010, 09:37 AM
Under 'Cellular Network Data' thats all time since you've had the phone, or done a 'reset'? Just looking for confirmation.
If thats true, I only use 45mb a month on average. I'm pretty sure when I switched from the 3G to the 3GS it carried over that information, but even if it didn't its still only using 90mb a month. Guess I can switch to the 200mb plan. And even if I got close I would just switch for that month to the 2 gig plan.

Well I've never reset that area so it's basically the entire time I've used the phone. (not including wifi obviously)

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 09:37 AM
Not only is it easy but, according to the press release, they're going to allow you to do it retroactively! If you get near the end of the month and have used 500 MB, you will be able to switch to the $25/2MB plan and avoid paying for any overages at all.

where did you see that?
if that's the case. will I be able to go back down the 200mb plan the next month? If so, that would solve my have usage on vacation dilemma.

thelatinist
Jun 2, 2010, 10:04 AM
where did you see that?
if that's the case. will I be able to go back down the 200mb plan the next month? If so, that would solve my have usage on vacation dilemma.

I read it on Engadget, but I am not sure where they're getting that information. It's certainly not in the press release. This is the quote from Engadget:

The carrier's going to be very flexible about changing between the DataPlus and DataPro plans -- if you're on DataPlus, for example, and you discover that you're blowing past your allotment, you can choose either to start DataPro the following billing cycle, pro-rate it, or apply the higher plan retroactively to the beginning of your current billing cycle. That's pretty wild.

ETA: further investigation of the FAQ on the AT&T site gives this:

Question:
Can I switch back and forth between the new smartphone data plans?
Answer:
Yes, as a smartphone customer, you may decide over time that you need more or less data than what your plan provides. There is no penalty to move between the new smartphone data plans as needed.

Lyle
Jun 2, 2010, 10:38 AM
I use my iPhone to check e-mail multiple times a day. I do some "light" web browsing, and use some web-enabled apps (e.g. the Twitter and Reddit apps) as well. I rarely use my iPhone for streaming video or music (other than occasionally checking out something on YouTube).

I have Wi-Fi both at the office and at home, and as a result I don't use nearly as much (3G) data as I might have guessed. According to AT&T's web site I haven't exceeded 200MB in any of the last six months.

elephunkman
Jun 2, 2010, 10:40 AM
My lowest is about 140MB and my peak was at around 400MB. So I would have to go with the DataPro.

NJMetsHero
Jun 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
I read it on Engadget, but I am not sure where they're getting that information. It's certainly not in the press release. This is the quote from Engadget:

ETA: further investigation of the FAQ on the AT&T site gives this:

So it's like the iPad kind of, except I'm guessing you have to pay for one of the plans. That's cool. I really don't think this will affect most people.

NJMetsHero
Jun 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
My lowest is about 140MB and my peak was at around 400MB. So I would have to go with the DataPro.

So unless you need tethering, you pay $5 less per month.

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 11:13 AM

what do you do with your phone?

Nicksd84
Jun 2, 2010, 11:21 AM
Here's a question. I currently have the BB Bold 9000 w/AT&T and the wife has a regular cell phone. We both plan on getting the new iPhone in August when we're eligable for a discounted upgrade. She will be fine with the $25/month plan but will AT&T let me transfer my BB data plan ($29.99) to the new iPhone?

I don't think so. My sister has a bb I'm on the iPhone. The data plans show up as distinctive to the iPhone and bb so I don't think it can transfer. As most people said though. With 2 gb you should be fine. Especially if you use wifi wherever it's available. I will say that after you connect to the first ATT hotspot such as at a mcdonald's it's completely seemless wherever it's available.

TSX
Jun 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wow I just looked at my data and I'm already up to 487mb

am476
Jun 2, 2010, 11:41 AM
i don't consider myself to be a power user. i use 3g to check my home e-mail a few times a day at work and browse the internet. i do, however, use logmein once in a while to check in on my computer (maybe 2x a month). maybe i'll look at a youtube clip for a few minutes once or twice a month. with that level of usage, i always go above 200 mb. in april, my usage was 1.4 gb.

i just downloaded the sirius radio app and was planning to use that more often. i'm curious to see how this affects data usage. i planned on using it for any bus rides or while in the gym. streaming radio over 3g will probably bump me up beyond 2 gb a month.

this is a sad day in smartphone history if someone like me is considered a data hog even without the streaming audio.

i can only hope that the iphone will get onto other networks and thus provide at&t the much needed relief from all the data usage that is straining them so much when they lose a good chunk of their customers.

TREV21
Jun 2, 2010, 11:56 AM
Soon the iPhone will be so limited that it will just be a big waste of money.

This is all a bunch of crap from AT&T and Apple. I'm jumping ship to the EVO on Sprints unlimited $79 plan. Sick and tired of having to manage what I do...who needs the stress!

And all you future videoChat guys...your screwed as well!

davyreins
Jun 2, 2010, 12:11 PM
Just to clarify, any data downloaded over wifi does not count toward your monthly data use. I'm assuming it wouldn't because it doesn't use the at&t towers...

spyda
Jun 2, 2010, 12:13 PM
hey

so what can I actually do with 200mb a month? I have wireless at home and the office. My social demands are low, old dad, who lives in the country. Probably want to use it more intensively on weekends or vacations.

I would use daily for:
checking emails
listening to MLB at bat
websurfing
geeking out with apps

For intensive weekends:
Google maps

Load up google maps and send a 3 sentence e-mail. :D

F123D
Jun 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
Who know what type of apps and programs will be coming out with the iphone in the near future that will be data hogs on the new iphone. I'm staying with my unlimited plan and not having to worry about data usage

Branskins
Jun 2, 2010, 12:16 PM
200MB just means I won't be clicking on iADs!

F123D
Jun 2, 2010, 12:17 PM
Load up google maps and send a 3 sentence e-mail. :D

Over your limit, add an additional $15 for this billing period. :rolleyes:

davyreins
Jun 2, 2010, 12:19 PM
Who know what type of apps and programs will be coming out with the iphone in the near future that will be data hogs on the new iphone. I'm staying with my unlimited plan and not having to worry about data usage

That is why I'm a little skeptical about switching to a lower data plan. For the past 2 years I would have loved paying only $15 a month for 200mb. Since they are implementing it now though I wonder what sorts of things are coming along that will really utilize an unlimited plan.

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 12:36 PM
I really want to get at what 200mb gets me. seriously. In one of the front page threads, I noticed a lot of people being surprised how low their data usage really was.

how much does let's say Pandora use for an hour?
how about looking up a song with shazam?
how about reading facebook for 30 minutes and posting 3 comments?
how about reading news on NYT? (ATT says visit 400 website, what does that mean?) see below:

DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video for just $15 per month.** This plan, which can save customers up to 50 percent off their wireless data charges, is designed for people who primarily like to surf the web, send email and use social networking apps. If customers exceed 200 MB in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15 for use in the cycle. Currently, 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.

TREV21
Jun 2, 2010, 12:44 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! BOHICA 35%! :eek:

Revelation78
Jun 2, 2010, 12:50 PM
I really want to get at what 200mb gets me. seriously. In one of the front page threads, I noticed a lot of people being surprised how low their data usage really was.

how much does let's say Pandora use for an hour?
how about looking up a song with shazam?
how about reading facebook for 30 minutes and posting 3 comments?
how about reading news on NYT? (ATT says visit 400 website, what does that mean?) see below:

DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for example, enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video for just $15 per month.** This plan, which can save customers up to 50 percent off their wireless data charges, is designed for people who primarily like to surf the web, send email and use social networking apps. If customers exceed 200 MB in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data usage for $15 for use in the cycle. Currently, 65 percent of AT&T smartphone customers use less than 200 MB of data per month on average.

So in essence these people will be paying $30 USD per month for 400MB of data...

Where you could continue paying $30 USD per month for "unlimited." I'm sorry these prices are screwing the consumer. Fair price would be 2GB for $15 USD per month, half the cost for half the "unlimited artificial ceiling" of 5GB.

At $15 USD it would be a fair price for the service offered. It's also BS that tethering is extra, really? If you're capped at a certain data rate, you should be able to use it as you please, not pay extra to use that same amount of data differently.

$5 USD per month is not a significant enough savings for me to drop my "unlimited" plan. I usually hit 1-1.5GB per month with tethering. There are a few times I go over 2GB, rare, yes but not worth the $5 USD savings. I'll just keep my unlimited plan and use it as I see fit and not worry about overages.

Fair rates: (per month)
200MB - $5 USD
1GB - $10 USD (includes tethering)
2GB - $15 USD (includes tethering)
4GB - $20 USD (includes tethering)
"unlimited" - $39 USD
"unlimited + tethering" - $60 USD

Bawstun
Jun 2, 2010, 12:55 PM
On my AT&T wireless bill it says:

Subtotal of KB's 923,146 KB

How many MB/GB's is this?

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 12:59 PM
check out this data calculator from ATT
http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/index.html

so with 200mb a month it says I can:

1- send and receive 30 email a day (no attachments)
2- no music streaming
3-no video streaming
4- visit 30 webpages
5- 2 social media post with photos

or
1- 3 minutes of streaming video
nothing else

thelatinist
Jun 2, 2010, 01:15 PM
I think they went about this the wrong way. They should have implemented this as automatic month-to-month discounts:

$15 (50%) off for those using less than 200 MB
$5 (16.7%) off for those using less than 200 MB

They would have been praised for that step. Then in six months they could announce that they were being forced by a few excessive data users to raise the price for the unlimited plan to $50 but that they were at the same time instituting deeper discounts for those who use less data:

$35 (70%) off for those using less than 200 MB
$25 (50%) off for those using less than 2 GB

This would have almost the same effect on their network and on their bottom line, but think how much better it would sound in the media.

-aggie-
Jun 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
Well, I took a look at my usage and I'm always above 200 MB for the most part, so it looks like I'll keep my unlimited data for awhile. It's been really bad for the past several months, since my wifi is rarely working, so I'm averaging 1 or more GB's.

Cougarcat
Jun 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
So in essence these people will be paying $30 USD per month for 400MB of data...

Not if you catch your excessive data usage in time. If you notice you are running out you can change to the 2GB temporarily and have it retroactively apply to your current billing cycle.

Revelation78
Jun 2, 2010, 01:31 PM
Not if you catch your excessive data usage in time. If you notice you are running out you can change to the 2GB temporarily and have it retroactively apply to your current billing cycle.

You're assuming that it will.... I will continue to assume that AT&T, or any carrier, will not do something that BENEFITS the consumer and not their bottom line.

You also have to assume that AT&T's "meter service" is up to date. I can't count how many times it beens a few days late in showing my true data usage.

Again, I will stick to my unlimited plan and continue to tether for free.

**EDIT**

There are too many assumptions in there that will benefit AT&T more than I if those assumptions are proven invalid.

Cougarcat
Jun 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
You're assuming that it will.... I will continue to assume that AT&T, or any carrier, will not do something that BENEFITS the consumer and not their bottom line.

I'm not assuming anything, it was in the Engadget article:

The carrier's going to be very flexible about changing between the DataPlus and DataPro plans -- if you're on DataPlus, for example, and you discover that you're blowing past your allotment, you can choose either to start DataPro the following billing cycle, pro-rate it, or apply the higher plan retroactively to the beginning of your current billing cycle.

If it is true about AT&T's meter service being inaccurate, that is unfortunate. Hopefully now that unlimited plan is gone AT&T will spend some time improving it.

dork420
Jun 2, 2010, 01:43 PM
i have to say the 15 bucks a month for limited is ok for me I guess. If I NEED more usage due to vacation, or emergency then the higher fee is worth it to me for the service.

like I said 90 percent of the time I am home or at work. At these place I have wifi and computers.

I know there are people who are against the change but I would love to hear from people who like the idea of the 200mb plan and why?

ratbatblue
Jun 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
On my AT&T wireless bill it says:

Subtotal of KB's 923,146 KB

How many MB/GB's is this?

1 MB = 1,000 KB
1 GB = 1,000 MB or 1,000,000 KB

For MBs, divide by 1,000 (move the decimal point 3 places to the left). For GBs, divide by 1 million (move the decimal point 6 places to the left).

923.146 MB
.923146 GB

Cougarcat
Jun 2, 2010, 01:47 PM
I know there are people who are against the change but I would love to hear from people who like the idea of the 200mb plan and why?

Same reasons as you, essentially. Wifi everywhere. I've always wanted an iPhone but $30 for data I would rarely use wasn't worth it. 200MB will be fine, and for the times where I need more (like vacations) I can go up to 2GB temporarily for that month.

goobot
Jun 2, 2010, 01:53 PM
and i haven't been using much data lately. im gana be cranking it up in the upcoming months

lasuther
Jun 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
The $15 200MB plan is exactly what my wife has been waiting for. We didn't want to add another $30 data plan, but at $15 she probably will pick one up. She doesn't need any more data than that.

nfl46
Jun 2, 2010, 02:01 PM
Well, I have a Nexus One and I just checked my ATT data usage on the website and I"m at 774.52 MB of Unlimited as of right now. Oh crap. 200MB is NOTHING for me. :( But I'm always connected to 3G and barely use my home wifi on my phone.

ratbatblue
Jun 2, 2010, 02:04 PM

It will make me truly comfortable (as in guilt-free) about having an iPhone for the first time since the data plan went to $30. For the little bit of data I use, $15 is just barely fair. I gotta say that I'm concerned about missing out on, or being raped for, future data-hungry apps. But there's nothing on the visible (or Macrumors) horizon that interests me enough to keep throwing away $15 a month for. Hell, I wish they'd offer a 100MB plan for $10.

powaking
Jun 2, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm at 2gb now and I still have 10days to go until the end of my billing cycle. Although I must say this is probably the most I've ever consumed (usually between 700-1.5 gb). I may jump on this, $5 is $5.

I'm curious to see how many minutes does Skype use up in 2gb? I guess we may now never see Google Navigation on the iPhone? If it were set to 3gb I probably wouldn't think it was so bad but man 2gb? Thats really not a whole lot. I mean make it $15 or $20.

davyreins
Jun 2, 2010, 02:48 PM
Just to clarify, any data downloaded over wifi does not count toward your monthly data use. I'm assuming it wouldn't because it doesn't use the at&t towers...

I meant to phrase this as a question, but the answer is that data over wifi does not count toward your usage. I guess most people knew this, and it seemed logical, but I never read it anywhere until now.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_16034/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=0QM3TWNp