PDA

View Full Version : CinemaTube Impressions

danny_w
Jun 2, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have had an :apple:TV since shortly after they were first introduced. It is good as far as it goes, but it requires all media to be in an iTunes format and streaming is prone to stuttering and freezing. After living with it for quite some time I wanted to give something else a try to see what else was available. In the past I have tried WDTV (the original) and Seagate Theater+, and returned both; the WDTV could not play dvd menus and the Theater+ only played some of my video_ts folders.

I just ordered a CinemaTube and got it last night. I have not had long to experiment but these are my initial impressions. Browsing and playing media from an attached USB drive seems to mostly work although slow; most of my DVDs are stored as video_ts and most play ok but a few don't (most notably James Bond DVDs). Sometimes the menu selection highlight is misaligned, and sometimes the music plays out of sync like the channels are off by a fraction of a second (I have noticed this only on the troublesome James Bond discs). Overall I have been pleased with what it can play from a USB drive. I bought this largely to be able to play tv show collections that I have ripped, and it seems to do well on those. Now to the problems (2):

1) I have a Mac and cannot seem to get the network browser to find anything at all. All of the instructions in the manual are for Windows, but surely a Mac can be made to work. The USB drive that I have directly attached is formatted HFS+. I know the network is at least partially working because i have done 2 software updates since plugging it in last night (it prompted for both).

2) Occasionally movie playback will completely freeze. Sometimes play/pause will get it going again, sometimes chapter seek will work, sometimes only stopping and restarting the video will work. I have actually only noticed this so far on one movie (Charade).

What are the experiences of others? Does anybody here use it with a mac? Thanks in advance for your help.