PDA

View Full Version : eMac 700mhz usable for streaming itunes?

Finnxeon
Jun 2, 2010, 11:09 AM
basically I am looking to use an original eMac 700mhz with 768MB RAM in my living room to stream itunes from our other computers. Only reason i am even considering it is because eMacs are way cheap on eBay, less than an airport express for use with airtunes, plus i could check email etc on it.

What I am wondering is, can it handle it? I'm assuming it can, I just don't want to waste my time, as its really not wasting me any money.

Cheers

zen.state
Jun 2, 2010, 11:14 AM
100% yes.

You could do what you want on a G3 300MHz.

Finnxeon
Jun 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
100% yes.

You could do what you want on a G3 300MHz.

thats what a figured...thanks for the confirmation. I did hear that these original can have power problems...is it something i should be concerned about?

zen.state
Jun 2, 2010, 11:41 AM
thats what a figured...thanks for the confirmation. I did hear that these original can have power problems...is it something i should be concerned about?

Any of the ones with problems would already be dead. If it still runs then it was a good one. Plus with being a 700MHz it is the oldest model so it's had lots of time to die and hasn't. I think the failure rate was only about 3% anyway.

Besides.. even if it did somehow die just buy another emac and use the old one for parts. I have 2 spare sawtooth towers which will keep me deep in PowerPC goodness for years or even decades. :)

MacHamster68
Jun 2, 2010, 11:52 AM
if its only emailing and itunes server
yes the eMac can handle it,
the iMac g3 can handle it ,
if you use airtunes to stream your itunes collection you can even use any Mac that can run OS9 .. ;)

yes the eMac is ideal , as it has good speakers in general and the nvidia graphics eMac's still have the good harman kardon speakers like the iMac g3 or the iMac g4

Finnxeon
Jun 2, 2010, 04:39 PM
awesome guys, thanks, just went ahead and bought it. Can't wait to see it...prefer the looks of the emac over the iMac g3 even though it is a beast of a machine

zmttoxics
Jun 3, 2010, 09:32 AM
Both of my eMacs were 1.25ghz, one was free, and the other was $50. If this 700mhz is anything more then that cost, I would say its not really worth it. An iPod touch with docking stereo might be a better purchase. Especially considering the power savings.

Edit: Oops, missed the last post where you bought it. Hope it works out!

brayden8181
Jun 8, 2010, 06:31 PM
It will serve well, however I suggest a G4 mini as they take up a lot less space than an eMac. I use my intel mini that I found for a good deal($150.00 for 1.83GHz core 2 duo, 80GB hard disk) for video streaming, music streaming and a file server. You don't need much power to do this, you could really use any machine that supports Tiger(I would be a bit cautious with anything so old it wont even support tiger)
I used to have an eMac and I think you would be much happier with the mini as it has a very small power consumption compared to the eMac, it takes up little space, and is extremely quiet(literally silent if you dont let it get so hot the fans turn on)

MacHamster68
Jun 8, 2010, 09:52 PM
we know the intel mini's are more powerful ,but for streaming itunes its overkill and the op did ask if he can use a eMac , and yes he can use a eMac for streaming itunes , he can even use a iMac g3 for that which is even more quiet then a mini ,at least mine is :p

brayden8181
Jun 8, 2010, 10:08 PM
we know the intel mini's are more powerful ,but for streaming itunes its overkill and the op did ask if he can use a eMac , and yes he can use a eMac for streaming itunes , he can even use a iMac g3 for that which is even more quiet then a mini ,at least mine is :p

There is nothing quieter than a Mini for apple, I have owned a g4 iMac, g3 imac for a short period of time, powermacs you name it. I am a used dealer so I've seen them all. Just because you don't need the extra power doesn't mean you can't use the unit anyways. What I'm getting at is the mini takes up a MUCH smaller footprint. You could use an ancient powerbook if you really wanted to, I never said you need more power. All I can tell you is my min i is whsiper quiet, I can't even here it unless I start doing some HD video or other heavy apps.

In a simple, small written sentence for those too lazy to read the entire post is that with the mini's you get more bang for your buck, even if it doesn't need to be used right away you may find it useful in the future. :cool:

zen.state
Jun 8, 2010, 11:22 PM
There is nothing quieter than a Mini for apple, I have owned a g4 iMac, g3 imac for a short period of time, powermacs you name it. I am a used dealer so I've seen them all. Just because you don't need the extra power doesn't mean you can't use the unit anyways. What I'm getting at is the mini takes up a MUCH smaller footprint. You could use an ancient powerbook if you really wanted to, I never said you need more power. All I can tell you is my min i is whsiper quiet, I can't even here it unless I start doing some HD video or other heavy apps.

In a simple, small written sentence for those too lazy to read the entire post is that with the mini's you get more bang for your buck, even if it doesn't need to be used right away you may find it useful in the future. :cool:

Good for the mini. The guy who started this thread is asking about a PowerPC mac doing a certain task or not. Not the things you like about mini's.

People come here to talk PowerPC. There is a whole mac mini section here in the hardware forum where posts about the intel mini will be welcomed.

MacHamster68
Jun 9, 2010, 05:14 AM
and when we are at quiet operation , i fitted a zalman fanmate in my eMac and its now not much louder then my g4 mini without overheating ,
apple had over engineered the heatpipe and fan
to make sure the eMac doesn't overheat if used
in a desert at temperatures of around 130F i suppose , so its easy to drop the rpm's a bit and you can just hear the fan spinning
btw its a good idea to open up the eMac once in awhile to clean it inside as due to this big and quiet powerful fan its like a little hoover and collecting loads of dust over the years as nobody seems to bother with cleaning them inside ;)