Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I heard a rumour it was cancelled for Episode 3 and we should expect a surprise instead.

I hope this is just a rumour. Or is this old news?

If it is true, this surprise better be a big slice of cake for every portal player or I'ma raging....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's not cancelled, it just won't be playable at E3. Everyones speculating that they're going to show another game instead. Speculate away!

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Press release said that press conference at E3 is cancelled and replaced with 'something special' iirc

All done in classic valve/aperture style.

No one knows what it is. Well someone does obviously.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Nothing has been cancelled. Valve does press events like this all the time. People should really learn not to take Valve seriously 24/7 :p

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
this likely has nothing to do with the game being delayed or not being playable at E3, VALVe is know for being very clever with their marketing, and this follows with the Portal series dark and dry humor. This biggest give away is the fact that VALVe had no scheduled a party for that time, so this cancellation was the first anyone had heard of a party. They are just being smart butts to drum up hype.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
thats a special brand of DUH, when you think E3 means episode 3 of a game that A does not have episodic content and B is only on its second iteration

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I heard a rumour it was cancelled for Episode 3 and we should expect a surprise instead.

I hope this is just a rumour. Or is this old news?

If it is true, this surprise better be a big slice of cake for every portal player or I'ma raging....

What is this Episode 3 to which you refer?

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
I personally don't think there will be an Episode 3, because of the long wait since Episode 2 I strongly suspect they will be announcing Half Life 3.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I personally don't think there will be an Episode 3, because of the long wait since Episode 2 I strongly suspect they will be announcing Half Life 3.

Maybe a brand new engine.... Source II?

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
According to a recent issue of Game Informer they haven't even come up with a proper design for Chell (the player) yet. The environments and everything looking to be coming along nicely though... which is probably attributed to a lot f recycled textures since part of Portal 2 uses Aperture Science Lab again.

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010

Gabe has said on a few occasions that "Half-Life 3" is the episodes. There will be an Episode 3.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Maybe a brand new engine.... Source II?

I would highly doubt a new version of the source engine, especially after spending so much time porting the current one too OpenGL. They would likely release a comprehensive update like they did when the Orange Box came out in 2007, and like they did when L4D came out in 2008. It is know that the version of the engine that L4D runs on is newer than the one that Portal runs on. Source is designed to be highly modular, and if you look in your steam content folder, there is only one version of the engine with the data files for all the Source games running off these common files. A new "source II" engine would be a huge undertaking and doubt it will happen for some time to come.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gabe has said on a few occasions that "Half-Life 3" is the episodes. There will be an Episode 3.

I've also heard that because of all the complaints of the Episode games being way too short (individually), that they're moving onto a full sequel. It has been 3 years since Episode 2 after all.

I really should bookmark these quotes.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I guess that we will have a guest/cameo appearance of Gordon Freeman and/or Alyx Vance in Portal II - and - we will have the Portal weapon in Episode 3, which will be hidden somewhere in the Aperture Science vessel that is mentioned in Episode 2.

While this is all just my guesswork, I'm pretty sure that nothing has been canceled. The Black Mesa/Aperture Science franchise is just a too great cash cow for Valve.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I guess that we will have a guest/cameo appearance of Gordon Freeman and/or Alyx Vance in Portal II - and - we will have the Portal weapon in Episode 3, which will be hidden somewhere in the Aperture Science vessel that is mentioned in Episode 2.

While this is all just my guesswork, I'm pretty sure that nothing has been canceled. The Black Mesa/Aperture Science franchise is just a too great cash cow for Valve.

I doubt that gordon or alyx will be in portal 2, one thing that VALVe has stated is that chell was placed in stasis at the end of portal and that portal 2 will take place hundreds of years in the future. so unless gordon and alyx have been placed in stasis since the end of episode 2, then it isn't going to happen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.