Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Im having trouble understanding how to work this. I read the instructions up and down and it does not indicated anything what so ever. I just plugged in my second ATA hard drive into my mac g5(dual 2.5) I now want to copy everything on my original harddrive onto the harddrive I just put in. HOW? Everyone keeps telling put just click copy everything, and Im aware of that. But whhere do I copy it to? It says "New Disk Image or Choose Disk Image" I cant find my other hard drive in either of those options. My source disk is my original hard drive but I do not know how to target my new drive. Help PLease !

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Close CCC

Open up Disk Utility

Select the new drive from the menu on the left. On the right side, click on the 'Restore' tab. Drag old drive from left onto the 'Source' area on the right, and the drag the new drive from the left to the 'destination' are on the right. Hit restore

Presto.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 4.21.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 4.21.32 PM.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 55

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
The new hard drive is not formatted because I do not have the 10.5 disk. All i have is 10.3 but I want 10.5 on it. Is it possible to copy everything over to it including the OS X on the old hard drive?

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
The new hard drive is not formatted because I do not have the 10.5 disk. All i have is 10.3 but I want 10.5 on it. Is it possible to copy everything over to it including the OS X on the old hard drive?

You don't need the OS discs to format a HDD.

Cologero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Ok so how exactly would I do it. I did what you wrote, but when I try to drag over the old hard drive to the new one in disk utility nothing happens. I got the old hard onto the source, but when I drag the new one there it doesn't work, because underneath the new one, it doesn't say "HD". It just says "931.5GB WDC. The old one says " 157.2 GB Maxtor w/ HD underneath. Do i have to make a copy of the old hard drive in CCC and then use that as an image in disk utility or what? Or do i need to format the new one first before i do so, and if so how do it without the disk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.