Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I'm sure this as been posted ad nauseum, but I'll be going to Mexico in August with my new iPhone in tow. I'm unsure about our resort having wifi. I guess the first thing I should ask is, does any cell provider in Mexico have micro sims? Does anyone know what the rates are for prepaid? What would be the best way to go about traveling in Mexico with my iPhone?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I'm sure this as been posted ad nauseum, but I'll be going to Mexico in August with my new iPhone in tow. I'm unsure about our resort having wifi. I guess the first thing I should ask is, does any cell provider in Mexico have micro sims? Does anyone know what the rates are for prepaid? What would be the best way to go about traveling in Mexico with my iPhone?

I would speak with AT&T about their International Roaming plan. Unfortunately, unless your iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked, you can't just pop in a new SIM from another provider.

AT&T offers a $24.99/mo roaming plan and when I went to Ireland I just signed up and canceled when I got back so I was only charged for one month. :)

daurgo2001

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2010
Hey!

I'm in Mexico, and I'm a longtime Mac and iPhone user.

The Carrier in Mexico is Telcel. It has the best coverage all over Mexico (compared to: iUsacell, Movistar, and Nextel). If you get an International plan from AT&T you'll be using Telcel when you get here.

Most decent Hotels have WiFi, so no worries there. Also, even if you don't have an International plan, you'll still be able to use your phone... it'll just be really expensive to do so.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
- David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.