Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuhwris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
Hi, I was wondering what's the appropriate amount to partition Windows for gaming? I'm only going to download one game and probably Microsoft office [Excel, word, etc.] At the moment, I have it set at 32 GB, is this enough for no lag? It's a MMO.

Also, when I switch over to Windows XP [Only have XP installed w/o any mac drivers] it's really laggy. Like the screen has to keep adjusting when I scroll around. I've heard that it's supposed to be fast/er than a PC usually is? Is this because I don't have any Mac drivers in it yet? Or did I install it wrong?

I'm going to purchase a Snow Leopard Install CD so I can complete the boot camp installation and use my windows partition to the fullest. But what I'm also wondering is if those CDs are one time use? 1 Snow Leopard CD = 1 Computer? Or can I borrow a friend's so I don't have to buy my own? Does that 1 CD rule apply to Windows too? Just curious.

Thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Give 32GB first and resize if needed

Windows should run fine but it needs the Boot Camp drivers. If your friend has the retail version of 10.6, you can use it (not legally but...), if it came with his Mac it won't work as those disks are system specific.

Retail version of Windows can be installed in several computers using the ssme serial but again, not legally

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I have XP installed as well as office, windows live, photoshop, illustrator, and a bunch of other programs. It's taking up 15 GB out of my 30 GB partition for windows. 4 GB of that is my outlook inbox, and 2 GB is the hibernation file. I think your windows and office install will total ~ 11 GB. I'm not sure how much the game will take up, but many games these days take up 5-10 GB of storage. You'll definitely want to make sure you have at least 2 GB free space on your hard drive or windows will run quite slow.

Hi, I was wondering what's the appropriate amount to partition Windows for gaming? I'm only going to download one game and probably Microsoft office [Excel, word, etc.] At the moment, I have it set at 32 GB, is this enough for no lag? It's a MMO.

Also, when I switch over to Windows XP [Only have XP installed w/o any mac drivers] it's really laggy. Like the screen has to keep adjusting when I scroll around. I've heard that it's supposed to be fast/er than a PC usually is? Is this because I don't have any Mac drivers in it yet? Or did I install it wrong?

I'm going to purchase a Snow Leopard Install CD so I can complete the boot camp installation and use my windows partition to the fullest. But what I'm also wondering is if those CDs are one time use? 1 Snow Leopard CD = 1 Computer? Or can I borrow a friend's so I don't have to buy my own? Does that 1 CD rule apply to Windows too? Just curious.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.