Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
On my PMG5, I have my set of Logitech speakers plugged into the audio out jack in the back, but when I plug headphones into the jack on the front of the Mac, I get audio through the headphones and speakers. With the headphones plugged in, shouldn't it cut off audio to the jack in the back where my speakers are plugged in? Thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm not sure if it's supposed to cut it off, but my PMG5 (Rev A dual-2.0) has also been acting up - or following the changing whims of Apple (can't tell). For a while, the mute key didn't mute optical out. Now it does (after an OS upgrade). For a while, the Mac muted the optical out when the headphones were plugged in. Now it doesn't.

Also, now, it seems to insist on using the internal speakers as the System Preference for sound output (after each boot, until I reset it) - even though it sends audio out via the optical port anyway. And the volume control keys (the speaker keys on the keyboard) allow me to "raise" and "lower" the optical-out volume - even though it doesn't change anything (before, the keys were disabled when optical out was chosen).

The behavior has changed so much over the past year, as I went from Jaguar through the various versions of 10.3, that I have no idea what "proper" behavior is....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We have exactly the same prob with our G5 2.5s at work.

So it's not just your machine... if that's any consolation.

Why is it like that?
Don't know, but it's annoying.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Blue Velvet said:
We have exactly the same prob with our G5 2.5s at work.

So it's not just your machine... if that's any consolation.

Why is it like that?
Don't know, but it's annoying.
maybe its normal then? kinda renders the front jack useless since the main point of them is to allow you to plugin headphones and mute the speaker. if anyone knows of a hack or something to make it work the way it should, that would be awesome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.