PDA

View Full Version : So it arrived...

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 05:05 PM
I wasn't sure wether or not to post a whole new thread for this...then I just decided, oh to hell with it! :D

It arrived while I was at work this afternoon, and wouldn't you know it, I was on a late shift today, do'h! It was a long afternoon/evening (finish at 7pm), but finally at about 19:45 I got home and started about setting up my new baby (ahhhhhh).

Anyway, here she is, nothing all that special I know, it's no dual 2.5GHz+30", but it's all I need, and the form factor is just an absolute winner!

http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/images/imacg5_small.jpg (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/images/imacg5_large.jpg)

stoid
Oct 12, 2004, 05:15 PM
That's so beautiful man! I'm jealous in a big way. Those monitors just look so nice next to each other. Now, if only the iMac didn't have that big white space, but I guess that's the trade off for not having a tower to position.

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
hey which one is the imac? ;) congratulations you mac zealot you.

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 05:17 PM
Now, if only the iMac didn't have that big white space, but I guess that's the trade off for not having a tower to position.It doesn't bother me at all actually. I'm also waiting on (should be here tomorrow) the mini-vga to vga adapter so that one of the inputs on the middle screen can be the iMacs 2nd screen....sweetness! :D

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 05:18 PM
congratulations you mac zealot you.hahahahaha ;) We're a couple of right zealots aren't we :D

BakedBeans
Oct 12, 2004, 05:20 PM
is it fast?? what size screens are the others...is the screen nice?

is it quiet

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 05:24 PM
is it fast??Seems like it!
what size screens are the others18"
...is the screen nice?VERY, it shows the other's up now though :(
is it quietVERY. So, so, so much quieter than the Quicksilver it replaces (which is still plugged in at the moment in those shots).

Mr. Anderson
Oct 12, 2004, 05:42 PM
Replacing a quicksilver with an iMac?

Hmm - what's the speed comparisons between the two?

Congrats on the new machine....jealous here (until I actually get to order my new machines ;)).

D

homerjward
Oct 12, 2004, 05:49 PM
you're really into wireless stuff lol. that looks really good with the two other displays. that'd be nice if you could have 'em all w/ the imac :p

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 05:53 PM
Replacing a quicksilver with an iMac?Looks like it! :eek:
Hmm - what's the speed comparisons between the two?Well, hard to say really, the only thing I can say is that Safari took 3-4 bumps to open on the Quicksilver, it takes 1 on this :D
Congrats on the new machine....jealous here (until I actually get to order my new machines ;)).I think I remember you talking about what you will order when you do, and I can assure you, I will be VERY jealous then!

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 06:02 PM
VERY. So, so, so much quieter than the Quicksilver it replaces (which is still plugged in at the moment in those shots).I'm starting to take that back actually...just turned off the Quicksilver (which I thought was producing all of the noise) and it's still pretty noisy, more than a whisper without a doubt, and it's pretty much idle..god dammit. Apple are sending out replacement fans aren't they?

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 12, 2004, 06:03 PM
:eek: OH! :eek: OH! those revision A's.

edesignuk
Oct 12, 2004, 06:07 PM
:eek: OH! :eek: OH! those revision A's.Noooooooooooo! Shutup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

edit: hmmmm....rebooted and it's quiet again, have to see how this goes...

BakedBeans
Oct 13, 2004, 02:09 AM
Noooooooooooo! Shutup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

edit: hmmmm....rebooted and it's quiet again, have to see how this goes...

has it come back again yet??... that sucks if they are...

Savage Henry
Oct 13, 2004, 02:52 AM
Does the middle screen have a picture of Snow White weilding a chainsaw?

But pointless question aside ... the piece looks so cool ... I shall now commence my first of several bouts of raging jealousy I will experience during the day .....

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 02:58 AM
has it come back again yet??... that sucks if they are...Yeah, it got worse again, gonna have to get on the phone to Apple this morning...bloody hell :rolleyes:

caveman_uk
Oct 13, 2004, 03:16 AM

Looking at it it looks like some sort of anime-style character giving the finger....admittedly Snow White with a chainsaw would be a cool background :D

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 03:18 AM
Does the middle screen have a picture of Snow White weilding a chainsaw?lol, no, it's this (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/desktops/nothingpersonal_1280x1024.jpg) :)

cb911
Oct 13, 2004, 03:32 AM
nice setup. :cool:

looking at the thumbnails, i wondered what the hell your talking about? this guy calls a new monitor his 'baby'? :eek: upon closer inspection... ;)

dual-screens on the iMac will be sweet. are those keyboards easy to use like that? ever tried them side by side?

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 03:51 AM
dual-screens on the iMac will be sweet. are those keyboards easy to use like that? ever tried them side by side?Tried 'em side by side a long time ago, but I find it better like this to be honest. I use the Mac keyboard most of the time, and the PC one is wireless so it's easy enough to move them around when I want.

Savage Henry
Oct 13, 2004, 03:59 AM
lol, no, it's this (http://upload.yo-momma.net/uploads/desktops/nothingpersonal_1280x1024.jpg) :)

Oh now I see ... I still think the age-old classic of a bunny with a pancake on it's head makes more of a radical statement for today's yoof culture .. I know I salute every time I see it....

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.. the earlier point you made about the quality of the screen compared to the others is very valid. The first time I saw one it really screamed quality, but was stood on it's own. It's good to actually see it shine in a line up. Nice comparative shot. :)

cb911
Oct 13, 2004, 04:30 AM
edesignuk, i just came accross some older pics of your setup from 2001/2002 i think. it's greatly improved now. :)

AmigoMac
Oct 13, 2004, 04:35 AM
Congratulations, your new baby does look great, is it noisy because you were expecting a totally silence machine or because it bothers the concentration totally? you know, if you were used to a quicksilver noise, noise couldn't be that loud, but if you're at work and can't concentrate ... :eek: Have you heard an eMac ? that's pretty loud...

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 05:02 AM
edesignuk, i just came accross some older pics of your setup from 2001/2002 i think. it's greatly improved now. :)lol, yeah, was was a real tip back then, but things have moved on a notch :D

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 05:03 AM
Congratulations, your new baby does look great, is it noisy because you were expecting a totally silence machine or because it bothers the concentration totally? you know, if you were used to a quicksilver noise, noise couldn't be that loud, but if you're at work and can't concentrate ... :eek: Have you heard an eMac ? that's pretty loud...
No, it's noisey, no where near whisper quiet, and keeps making this weird high pitched noise on and off. I've spoken to Apple this morning, and they want me to turn the sreen brightness down when it next does it :confused:

BakedBeans
Oct 13, 2004, 05:16 AM
No, it's noisey, no where near whisper quiet, and keeps making this weird high pitched noise on and off. I've spoken to Apple this morning, and they want me to turn the sreen brightness down when it next does it :confused:

tell them you dont want to turn the screen brightness down as you want to be able to se what your doing and tell them NO I DONT WANT TO PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

its not on man...tell them to get you a new one or new parts asap, its obviouly a problem

BakedBeans
Oct 13, 2004, 05:19 AM

the new eMac.. Concorde quiet ;)

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 05:20 AM
tell them you dont want to turn the screen brightness down as you want to be able to se what your doing and tell them NO I DONT WANT TO PUT IT IN THE FREEZER

its not on man...tell them to get you a new one or new parts asap, its obviouly a problem
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at fault :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

wordmunger
Oct 13, 2004, 05:34 AM
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at foult :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

Definitely, don't put up with it. My wife's 20-incher is whisper quiet all the time.

Nermal
Oct 13, 2004, 05:39 AM

Both the left and middle ones are from here (http://www.applegeeks.com/downloads/).

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 05:42 AM
Both the left and middle ones are from here (http://www.applegeeks.com/downloads/).
heh, didn't know that. I got 'em out of a massive desktops torrent I downloaded a while back :D

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 07:39 AM
I don't think they're saying this is the solution, but they claim that if the noise does go when I do this then it is the PSU at foult :confused: whatever, I'm not gonna go away until they fix it!

So did you turn it down and did it fix the problem? That really sucks, sorry to hear about it - especially since I just ordered a 20" for my mother in law - well, sent her the order to approve, she'll probably order it this week. Since I'll be setting it up its good to know this might be an issue before we transfer all the files and install the apps....

Good luck.

D

edesignuk
Oct 13, 2004, 07:45 AM
So did you turn it down and did it fix the problem?
Don't know yet, had to leave for work before I could try it, I'll find out tonight though hopefully, and report back!

Other than the noise, it's a fantastic machine :)

Savage Henry
Oct 13, 2004, 10:02 AM

:cool: Man, that is sucha cool site ... more resource to fuel my pro-Apple subversion at work :D

Back on the machine, that's a bummer about the noise. I'd have to admit that it is the only part of the design that I've got my doubts about. My 2nd gen is so quiet that I hate the noise it makes when it reads a CD, or even the click on the mouse (but only when I'm in a really bad mood).

Hope there is a simple uncomplicated fix that never brings this problem to light again.

kjgnola
Oct 13, 2004, 12:22 PM
Gatorron posted this a while back in the iMac shipping thread, couldn't find it if I tried most likely. But anyway he said that his experience was that he turned down the thermostat in his house a bit and that took care of it for him.

I noticed the same thing yesterday, once I got the room cool the fans were quiet again.

What I think this proves is that either the iMac must be run in a cooler to be quiet or the fans are not truly "whisper" quiet.

I never get the high pitch noise that some complain about, but they do get noisy once they get up and running. The crazy thing is the loudest they do get is when I am printing. I print wirelessly through AP Extreme so it seems rather strange that that is when the machine is at its hottest.

Or I guess we could all just run up our electric bills by cranking up the AC year round.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 12:32 PM
Or I guess we could all just run up our electric bills by cranking up the AC year round.

That's such an elegant fix :D :p

I hope that Apple does have a real fix for this, though. So what's a good ambient temp? Reminds me of the computer labs back in college that were always chilly...

D

cb911
Oct 13, 2004, 08:57 PM

nice one Nermal. :D you could head over to the Wallpaper Sites Directory and add it in there if you like... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=37144&page=1&pp=25

and Mr. Anderson, helping the outlaws with computer purchases, that's awfully nice of you. :)

oop, did i say that? i mean in-laws of course. :D ;)

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 09:00 PM
and Mr. Anderson, helping the outlaws with computer purchases, that's awfully nice of you. :)

Actually just ordered it tonight :D

20" iMac and an iSight. The fun has just begone - I get to set it up over Thanksgiving and install a few apps.

I'll also be adding folding to that as well :D

D

Macmaniac
Oct 13, 2004, 09:02 PM
That looks so sexy, congrats man, I wish I had an awesome setup like that.

Mechcozmo
Oct 13, 2004, 09:40 PM
So, what is happening to that Quicksilver?

:D

Really nice, but isn't there something about the iMacs not being able to use dual screens, they can just mirror, or am I hallucinating again?

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 09:50 PM
Don't know yet, had to leave for work before I could try it, I'll find out tonight though hopefully, and report back!

So what happened....I'm hoping that this isn't a wide spread issue...especially since I'll be ordering another one in a couple months for my wife.....

D

ebook
Oct 13, 2004, 10:04 PM
Well, I'll tell you what edesignuk...if they say they will send you something it's not just going to be a couple of fans, it will be the whole midplane assembly...read COMPUTER. It's not hard to replace, just make sure your airport extreme card still works...check out my problems...

I hope you get everything figured out.

ravenvii
Oct 13, 2004, 10:28 PM
So, what is happening to that Quicksilver?

:D

Really nice, but isn't there something about the iMacs not being able to use dual screens, they can just mirror, or am I hallucinating again?

Yeah, but there's a hack to override that.