PDA

View Full Version : DealExtreme iPad stylus, thin tip- anyone try this?

Super Intendo
Jun 3, 2010, 03:57 AM
Looks to be the best iPad / iPhone stylus around, based solely on the tip, though i doubt its that great, being that there arent more like it and that it costs $3. Anybody try one yet?

Mowgli21
Jun 3, 2010, 04:13 AM
I haven't tried one but it looks exactly what I'm looking for. Let me know if you try one and how it works. Very interested.

satter
Jun 3, 2010, 04:15 AM
I ordered two of them a few days ago. I figure at that price, even if they don't work, I'm not out that much. I'm leaving in a couple days on vacation though, so I probably will have to wait a week or better before I get to try one out.

Mowgli21
Jun 3, 2010, 04:20 AM
I ordered two of them a few days ago. I figure at that price, even if they don't work, I'm not out that much. I'm leaving in a couple days on vacation though, so I probably will have to wait a week or better before I get to try one out.

Cool, post back the forum when you try it please :)

Nikos
Jun 3, 2010, 04:26 AM
Just ordered one. I'll upload a video of it to www.youtube.com/techthrow when I receive it.

cc2096
Jun 3, 2010, 05:40 AM
You all realize that the pointy tip will only work for resistive touchscreens. You will need to the use the other end (the eraser side) for capacitive touchscreens like the iPad which means it won't be any better than the ones already out there.

orlandocano
Jun 3, 2010, 05:43 AM
You all realize that the pointy tip will only work for resistive touchscreens. You will need to the use the other end (the eraser side) for capacitive touchscreens like the iPad which means it won't be any better than the ones already out there.

At least they will have 12 more dollars in their pocket vs the pogo sketch

TheMacBookPro
Jun 3, 2010, 07:45 AM
Saw a bunch in a local phone-mall here in Hong Kong. The pointy bit is only for resistive touchscreens (like my N900) and the other end is a thick rubbery like thing for capacitive touchscreens (like my 940SH and iPad).

Basically a two-in-one. Would be useful I guess if I still used my N97 (which didn't have an internal slot for the stylus) so I would only have to carry around one stylus for both my devices.

N900 has an internal slot for the stylus so I didn't buy it. Just using my Pogo stylus which I bought last year for my iPhone3G. Just as thick as the DX stylus on the capacitive end.

satter
Jun 3, 2010, 08:31 AM

Ah well... at least the price is right. :o

CristobalHuet
Jun 6, 2010, 09:07 AM
I just ordered a few of these styluses (I know, I know, but the thought of being able to sketch and doodle some notes by hand is intriguing) from DealExtreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23061

3.88 each, free shipping. It's got Pogo packaging, so this may or may not be a knockoff. Either way, the reviews are pretty solid, and it's damn cheap, so I'll give it a shot.

Just letting you know.

sracer
Jun 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
They look to be the legitimate Pogo stylus for the iPod Touch and iPhone. (those don't have the clip on the stylus and have the bracket that snaps onto an iPhone/iPod Touch to hold the stylus)

Thanks for the heads up.... just ordered a bunch. I have the "Sketch" and these work great on the Macbook too.

CristobalHuet
Jun 6, 2010, 11:30 AM
They look to be the legitimate Pogo stylus for the iPod Touch and iPhone. (those don't have the clip on the stylus and have the bracket that snaps onto an iPhone/iPod Touch to hold the stylus)

Thanks for the heads up.... just ordered a bunch. I have the "Sketch" and these work great on the Macbook too.

No problem. If they are indeed the legit Pogo stylus, then that's just flat out awesome...no need to shell out $15 + shipping for one. :D

Can't wait to get mine. I ordered a bunch as well, two for myself and two more for a couple of guys at work who are getting the iPad and I know will appreciate the stylus (old-school). :)

JayMysterio
Jun 6, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have one of those, they work alright. My one complaint is how small they are, it is roughly the same size as the IPhone. So it isn't pencil/pen size, but more like working with a piece of chalk or charcoal.

I do prefer the size of the Pogo Sketch.

Good price though.

CristobalHuet
Jun 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
I have one of those, they work alright. My one complaint is how small they are, it is roughly the same size as the IPhone. So it isn't pencil/pen size, but more like working with a piece of chalk or charcoal.

I do prefer the size of the Pogo Sketch.

Good price though.

Is it usable forr jotting down some rough notes in an app like Penultimate? Any chance you can snap a picture comparing its size it to the iPad and iPhone? :)

JayMysterio
Jun 6, 2010, 11:59 AM
I don't use mine for writing, so I have no idea. I just mine for sketching in sketchbook pro.

Also could not do the comparison to the IPhone's size, since I use it for taking the pics, so I included my IPod Classic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/JayMax/Misc/securedownload-4.jpg

LOL Even smaller than I remembered.

CristobalHuet
Jun 6, 2010, 12:39 PM
:(

That's WAY too small for what I want it to do. Reading some reviews from iPad users on Amazon, it's unusable for handwriting.

I just cancelled my order...thanks for helping me out. :p

Duke10020421
Jun 14, 2010, 05:44 AM
Wrote on another macrumors threat re: pogo stylus. A little hard to write with cause of blunt tip. Ended up buying the Pendel www.pendel.com.au (http://www.pendel.com.au) which is good. A little thick but works well. They only sell them in 3 packs, which is handy as they don't fit in my iPad cover and already misplaced one :)

sracer
Jun 14, 2010, 08:10 AM
Wrote on another macrumors threat re: pogo stylus. A little hard to write with cause of blunt tip. Ended up buying the Pendel www.pendel.com.au (http://www.pendel.com.au) which is good. A little thick but works well. They only sell them in 3 packs, which is handy as they don't fit in my iPad cover and already misplaced one :)
threat?! :confused:

sracer
Jun 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
I just received my Pogo stylus from Deal Extreme. They are indeed the genuine deal. I bought 4 of them for the family. Great price.

lotusindigo
Jun 14, 2010, 01:40 PM
threat?! :confused:

I can only imagine he works for the Pendel company. His only two posts are about the Pendel. Who else would consider the Pogo a threat?

Fry-man22
Jun 14, 2010, 02:05 PM
I can only imagine he works for the Pendel company. His only two posts are about the Pendel. Who else would consider the Pogo a threat?

:) maybe you shouldn't imagine then, the logical assumption is that it was a typo for another macrumors threaD since it's only one character off...

Not saying he's not an employee of the company, but I think that was a typo.

lotusindigo
Jun 14, 2010, 02:16 PM
Depends on the logic you use. IMO it was a Freudian slip.

Bytor65
Jun 22, 2010, 08:12 AM
Depends on the logic you use. IMO it was a Freudian slip.

Agree. The only mention of Pendel on the web, is someone marketing it in a few message boards and comment sections. Basement operation with cheapest marketing available.