PDA

View Full Version : SNUGG iPad case

Ingster
Jun 3, 2010, 04:35 AM
Hello all, bought a wifi iPad on launch day, love it more than my iPhone and poor kindle is starting to gather dust on the shelf!

As i wasnt near an apple store on launch i popped into PC World (For my sins) and got my iPad there, but, they had no apple branded accessories, so i ended up with a belkin case thingy and it's ok for putting it in when i go to work but not great when you've gotta unzip it and put the case 'somewhere' when in use. I wanted an apple case, or so i thought.

I'd read on here about the razor edge on the apple case and the flap not sitting flush after being in 'picture frame mode' and started to feel none too good about that case (i fell into the brand trap with my kindle and the official kindle case - nearly broke the kindle by opening it the wrong way!).

Whilst looking on here and some other iPad sites i kept noticing the same ad following me on most sites, it was for a case called the Snugg iPad case, well i googled it and could find no linked website so i was slightly concerned, but as boredom set in i clicked the link and got sent to Amazon.co.uk, it was from a marketplace seller, so left the site cleared cache etc and went to amazon.co.uk myself and searched for snugg iPad case, and it appeared, good, not phishing!
So i bit the bullet and bought one it was just over 34 including express postage so similarly priced to the apple case and it had similar floding tendencies.

Yesterday it arrived and i couldn't be happier, it's well made of leather/letherette (can never tell which) material with reinfoced panels on the front, a nice sturdy retaining clip on the back for picture frame mode nice stiched sides with no sharp edges for when you are holding it, good cut outs which are well placed when the iPad is in it, easy to get out of the case and secure flap to hold ipad in place so all in all a well matched and thought out contender to the official apple case.

Oh and the front flap opening issue, solved - 2 small concealed magnets on the flip hold it shut when case is closed

mcdj
Jun 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
Looks exactly like the Yoobao to me.

parish
Jun 3, 2010, 08:29 AM
Thanks for posting this. Like you the Snugg ad follows me around and it does look interesting. Might order one now because of your review ( although it means I won't have an excuse to visit the Apple Store in Bath :apple:)

ABG
Jun 3, 2010, 10:01 AM
I bought one from Amazon. It works well - my only concern is the two magnets on the right hand side (to secure the flap). Not sure if this will have an impact on the iPad?
Otherwise it looks nice and fits well.

Kobra
Jun 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
It's made by Yoobao :) I've been looking for a EU seller that could get it shipped to me in Sweden. Unfortunately this seller can't or won't :(

Ingster
Jun 3, 2010, 07:37 PM
Very similar to the yoobao I must admit although there is a flap stopping the iPad from falling out when in picture mode on the snugg- and obviously snugg printed on the outside of the case ;)

Ingster
Jun 3, 2010, 07:43 PM
Ooops my bad just seen there are two versions of the yoobao case - yeah same as the new version yoobao!

photojonny
Jun 7, 2010, 11:40 AM
I've just received this. It doesn't appear to have any of the issues that the Apple case has (dust collecting, sharp edges, not staying shut) and I'm really pleased with it, although 30 really is taking the piss a bit isn't it? Apple included.

If I had to spend 30 on a case, which I did, I'm glad I got this one.

YatesLes87
Jun 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
Hi. Found a video for the Snugg iPad Case on YouTube. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uck7vfPm0vQ

Zodiak
Jun 11, 2010, 09:50 AM
Stupid question but why would Yoobao create a new product exactly like the original Yoobao case (minus what seems to be 2 magnets in the video instead of 3) with the same look and construction quality? Unless they are looking to discontinue the Yoobao?

Rvn
Jun 15, 2010, 07:14 AM
Hi

I have orded the same case.

But the magnet issue was not something I had thought about. and now I am a bit worried that the magnets used to close the case will have some sort of impact on my iPad...

Have you experienced any malfunction with your ipad when using the case?

Cheers
R - Denmark

Rvn
Jun 16, 2010, 02:00 AM
Att. Ingster

Have you had any problems with the magnets vs the iPad?

Cheers

Kobra
Jun 19, 2010, 05:35 PM
Stupid question but why would Yoobao create a new product exactly like the original Yoobao case (minus what seems to be 2 magnets in the video instead of 3) with the same look and construction quality? Unless they are looking to discontinue the Yoobao?
Have you ever heard of the term OEM (original equipment manufacturer):cool:

parish
Jun 22, 2010, 03:43 AM
I've just received my so-called Snugg case from Amazon.

The invoice says "The Snugg All-in-one....." but underneath it says

"It is not embossed with SNUGG tag as it is not an [sic] Snugg case but it exactly the same"

The name on the box is 'rucigchi'. It has a very odd smell that doesn't smell like leather to me and looking closely at the construction I don't think it is leather.

Not a happy bunny.

NickRno77
Jun 22, 2010, 04:01 AM
I've just received my so-called Snugg case from Amazon.

The invoice says "The Snugg All-in-one....." but underneath it says

"It is not embossed with SNUGG tag as it is not an [sic] Snugg case but it exactly the same"

The name on the box is 'rucigchi'. It has a very odd smell that doesn't smell like leather to me and looking closely at the construction I don't think it is leather.

Not a happy bunny.

I've just ordered 1 from ebay, this is the description from seller :

"The extremely popular Snugg iPad Case is here! A protective polyurethane black leather premium case and flip stand for the Apple iPad. Functions both as a portable travel case as well as a flip stand to improve typing or your viewing comfort. Folds horizontally or vertically for bookstand picture frame slideshows, watching movies or typing onto the iPad keyboard."

Listen to the video the guy describes the material as PU Leather which is not real leather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uck7vfPm0vQ&feature=player_embedded#!

I thought it was leather as well, hey its "Animal friendly Vegetarian Leather" :)

parish
Jun 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
I've just ordered 1 from ebay, this is the description from seller :

"The extremely popular Snugg iPad Case is here! A protective polyurethane black leather premium case and flip stand for the Apple iPad. Functions both as a portable travel case as well as a flip stand to improve typing or your viewing comfort. Folds horizontally or vertically for bookstand picture frame slideshows, watching movies or typing onto the iPad keyboard."

Listen to the video the guy describes the material as PU Leather which is not real leather!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uck7vfPm0vQ&feature=player_embedded#!

I thought it was leather as well, hey its "Animal friendly Vegetarian Leather" :)

I've just looked at Snugg's own page on Amazon (I bought from another seller who now doesn't show the cases as being Snugg!!!) and that says

Snugg Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand for the Apple iPad

but in the Technical Details it says

Protective lightweight PU Leather with magnetic closure

NickRno77
Jun 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
I've just looked at Snugg's own page on Amazon (I bought from another seller who now doesn't show the cases as being Snugg!!!) and that says

Snugg Leather Case Cover and Flip Stand for the Apple iPad

but in the Technical Details it says

Protective lightweight PU Leather with magnetic closure

Just had the Snugg case delivered from ebay seller, doesn't smell like leather, it does have Snugg embossed on case.

Kobra
Jun 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
I've just recieved my Snugg case, looks like leather but I'm not sure :confused: If pressed I'd say its PU. But I'm cool with that :cool: Comparing it to the pictures of the Yoobao case I'd say they're made in the same shop. People who has bought the Yoobao have complained of a weird smell as well...

NickRno77
Jun 22, 2010, 11:32 AM
. People who has bought the Yoobao have complained of a weird smell as well...

:confused::)Must say I agree it does smell a bit funny, sort of plasticky:eek:

Kobra
Jun 22, 2010, 12:43 PM
I think it smells like a pair of new sneakers :) (which is logicall as it's made of the same material... )

NickRno77
Jun 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
Lots of info on PU Leather here :- http://www.puleather.com/

wrkactjob
Jul 14, 2010, 06:54 AM
Got the Snugg for my new pad and am delighted with it. Quality item looks really smart, love the way it totally closes. eBay 30.

Recommended.