Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IvM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Has anyone got a suggestion of what would be a good app on my new shiny iPad that would replace Onenote and Inkseine (and transfer the data across)?
I know it's a big ask at this stage - especially the searching in ink, but some of the iPad apps already have the combination of ink and audio, but I don't feel the strength is there yet for hundreds of records, and these two apps are the only things I miss from my Tablet PC and I love the iPad!

BoyRacer

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2003
I don't have an answer for you, sorry but I just had to post - otherwise people might conclude that no-one shares your circumstances.

Inkseine, OneNote 2007/2010, Microsoft's digital ink and related underlying TabletPC technology is the best pen-enabled touch-based inking solution currently available.

On my iPad I've been trying: NoteTaker HD, WritePad, NotesPlus, SmartNote, Noterize, NotePad Pro, SoundNote (originally SoundPaper) and Penultimate. I have a POGO/Sketch stylus. None offer digital ink in the practical sense (searchable handwriting without first requiring conversion to ascii text). All of them are clumsy to use due to the iPad's capacitive touch screen (vs the Resistive Touch screens of most pen-enabled TabletPC devices).

Microsoft's Courier appeared to be a capable mix of Inkseine, Digital Ink and OneNote 2007 but of course we'll probably never know since the project was killed in early 2010.

I wonder if its possible (certainly not probable) to port Inkseine and its underlying TabletPC technologies to iPad? Or are those underlying technologies too dependent on the Windows codebase?

HP's Enterprise version of their tablet (announced and demoed in January 2010 but not due for release until late 2010) appears to be running Windows 7 so all these technologies will be available in a form-factor almost identical to iPad. However, battery life, speed (combo of processor & memory), battery and screen-type will determine whether it will be at all practical as a replacement for my TabletPC devices (Motion LE1600 and Toshiba M700).

HP's consumer version of the tablet will run WebOS and so its likely that it will be no better than iPad for the sort of features available via Inkseine, OneNote etc.

-peter

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.