PDA

View Full Version : Verizon Spokesman: No iPhone Plans in 'Immediate Future'

MacRumors
Jun 3, 2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/03/verizon-spokesman-no-iphone-plans-in-immediate-future/)

In a very brief response (http://www.beet.tv/2010/06/verizon-as-no-plans-for-ipod-support-in-the-immediate-future.html) to a question from Beet.tv regarding the iPhone, Verizon spokesman John Johnson notes that the company is not planning to carry the iPhone in the "immediate future", before quickly redirecting the conversation to tout Verizon's new handset offerings.Q: Let me ask you first of all about Verizon and the iPhone. What is happening, if anything? What is the status?

A: No one ever asks that question. (Smiles) So, no plans to carry the iPhone in the immediate future, but you've gotta look at the incredible excitement around the Android devices...Johnson's comments are not much of a surprise, considering that he would be unable to divulge any such plans if they did exist, but the footage is making the rounds today as a tempering of expectations for those who might be hoping for a Verizon iPhone announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference next week. One recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/28/verizon-iphone-possibly-available-as-soon-as-november/) has pegged a Verizon iPhone release for as early as November given reports of the status of the manufacturing testing process with rumored manufacturer Pegatron, although many observers see a 2011 launch to be more likely.

Article Link: Verizon Spokesman: No iPhone Plans in 'Immediate Future' (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/03/verizon-spokesman-no-iphone-plans-in-immediate-future/)

SPUY767
Jun 3, 2010, 08:55 AM
We should all know by now that any future partner of Apple's would be under a gag order. Perhaps he simply has the sense to abide by it.

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 08:57 AM
We should all know by now that any future partner of Apple's would be under a gag order. Perhaps he simply has the sense to abide by it.

Or perhaps he is telling truth ;) But then i guess since the truth is not what people really want to hear. They will continue to wait for unicorns

allendsmeet
Jun 3, 2010, 08:57 AM
This guy's a laugh. HTC... Android.... As if underwhelmed by the iPhone. He can't deny iPhone's power, or AT&T's awesomeness at handing Verizon its arse, so he makes sure to avoid Verizon + iPhone-anything.

timerollson
Jun 3, 2010, 09:00 AM
Oh well! AT&T here, I come!

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 09:01 AM
Can we now stop these Verizon iPhone/iPad rumors?

Apple will not build a CDMA device...their technology is old, slow, and lacks critical features.

asdavis10
Jun 3, 2010, 09:01 AM
All he's doing is trying not to freeze sales of Android devices because of an upcoming iPhone launch. The iPhone is definitely going to Verizon.

JPark
Jun 3, 2010, 09:02 AM
AT&T should write him a thank you. That ought to boost their Gen 4 iPhone sales quite a bit.

StuddedLeather
Jun 3, 2010, 09:02 AM
Groundbreaking.
I told you so?

RebelScum
Jun 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
A shame, but as much as I love the iPhone, I don't love it enough to abide by AT&T's new pricing policy.

I would suggest it's time to try Android.

kironin
Jun 3, 2010, 09:04 AM
Or perhaps he is telling truth ;) But then i guess since the truth is not what people really want to hear. They will continue to wait for unicorns

and of course anyone that has been saying it won't happen will be seeing this as a confirmation of what they want to hear when in reality there is no way that this guy would be giving a straight answer. :rolleyes:

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 09:07 AM
A shame, but as much as I love the iPhone, I don't love it enough to abide by AT&T's new pricing policy.

What's wrong with the new pricing policy? If you already have an iPhone, you can continue with your unlimited plan. What's wrong with more options to help reduce your costs? I'm gonna save a ton of money under the new plans.

stewart715
Jun 3, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'm not saying the iPhone IS coming to Verizon this Summer or Fall, but if it WAS, this guy wouldn't know jack ****.

deannnnn
There's obviously not going to be a Verizon iPhone next week but I think, if anything, this only provides more evidence for the rumored November/2011 launch.

bdkennedy1
Why? Steve Jobs denied the existence of both the iPhone and iPad and then 2 months later released them. "Immediate future" could mean next week.

dang...

capsfan1978

You do know that if you already have the unlimited plan you won't be affected by the new pricing policy? That's only for new subscribers and anyone who wants to change.

- I see I'm not the only one who sees it this way

ECUpirate44
Jun 3, 2010, 09:11 AM
Why? Steve Jobs denied the existence of both the iPhone and iPad and then 2 months later released them. "Immediate future" could mean next week.

I'm just considering all the things against an iphone coming to verizon. I dont think apple would develope a CDMA phone. How would it work in Europe?

bergmef
Jun 3, 2010, 09:12 AM

I remember the 'there is no reason for video on the ipod' quotes.

capsfan1978
Jun 3, 2010, 09:12 AM
And until I can surf the internet while talking on the phone on Verizon I don't care if they get the iPhone or not.

ECUpirate44
Jun 3, 2010, 09:13 AM
There's obviously not going to be a Verizon iPhone next week but I think, if anything, this only provides more evidence for the rumored November/2011 launch.

i could see that happening. Plently of time for Verizon to properly develope their 4G network and make sure it can handle the iphone. Unlike AT&T

bergmef
Jun 3, 2010, 09:14 AM
And until I can surf the internet while talking on the phone on Verizon I don't care if they get the iPhone or not.

That would be up to the handset manufacturer, Rev A network can do it.

Tyler.Schmaltz
Jun 3, 2010, 09:15 AM
Didn't the whole no contract unlimited data plan at&t offered for the ipad extend the Iphone exclusivity agreement 6 months. So wouldn't that of ended in June of 2010 so now it ends January 1 2011 which would fit with all the rumors of a 2011 release on Verizon? And it only makes sense for apple to release it phone to one of the largest U.S carriers. Yeah CDMA is a little slower and older but from a pure business stand point it would be retarded not to release it to Verizon.

rwilliams
Jun 3, 2010, 09:15 AM
Even if the iPhone was coming to Verizon next week, this guy wouldn't be able to say anything about it. You can't treat this statement as the gospel one way or the other. So in essence, everybody is still hearing what they want to hear on this subject. We'll find out for sure very soon.

jav6454
Jun 3, 2010, 09:16 AM
This should shut up Verizon fanboys for a while.

AmpSkillz
Jun 3, 2010, 09:16 AM
If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Sprint is desperate enough to give into any of Apples demands

i'm sure many will make their way to Verizon at that point anyway

alent1234
Jun 3, 2010, 09:19 AM
I'm just considering all the things against an iphone coming to verizon. I dont think apple would develope a CDMA phone. How would it work in Europe?

like CDMA blackberries do?

robo74
Jun 3, 2010, 09:20 AM

I did, not looking back either.
Perhaps if Apple deceides to stop inspecting AT&T's anal glands, and move to carriers with better coverage in my area, then I will rethink the iPhone.
Until then, I enjoy android with all the same apps I used on my touch.

Tyler.Schmaltz
Jun 3, 2010, 09:20 AM
I'm just considering all the things against an iphone coming to verizon. I dont think apple would develope a CDMA phone. How would it work in Europe? Because there cant be a CDMA version and the current one? Verizon is the largest U.S wireless carrier so it would make sense to develop a Iphone that would work on that network and still create a iphone that works on all the other networks.

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 09:21 AM
i could see that happening. Plently of time for Verizon to properly develope their 4G network and make sure it can handle the iphone. Unlike AT&T

Verizon's 4G footprint won't be big enough until 2013-2014 timeframe. They can not rely upon CDMA as a backup. ATT and T-Mobile can use their existing 3G as a backup to their 4G.....so as soon as the iPhone 4G is available, ATT and T-Mobile can exploit it....Verizon is stuck waiting once again.

R3tard
Jun 3, 2010, 09:22 AM

I tried showing my friend that exact reason why Verizon doesn't have the iPhone. Then he busted out his "Droid" as I watched him take a phone call and look up web sites and maps. It can be done...

crackbookpro
Android excuse...

Who is this guy? ...that's right, he's a spokesman.

walk along please...

cvaldes
I'm not saying the iPhone IS coming to Verizon this Summer or Fall, but if it WAS, this guy wouldn't know jack ****.
Actually, he would probably be in the inside loop. Corporate PR would be deeply involved in the launch, the scheduling of executive interviews, etc. The last people to know would be the retail sales line employees.

Apple partners clam up real tight when there's an imminent deal in the works, so Mr. Johnson's message is likely the most truthful to emanate amidst all the Verizon rumors (which were likely generated from the outside).

If Apple were to end carrier exclusivity with AT&T, the most logical step would be to bring the iPhone to another GSM-based carrier: T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile USA is very happy to have jailbroken iPhones on its network.

T-Mobile USA's silence on the matter has been deafening.

dugbug
Jun 3, 2010, 09:23 AM

Why would it need to work in europe?

CDMA is very popular in the americas (north and south) and china. Its not inferior to GSM, just different (to respond to an earlier post). I would expect them to come out with a CDMA phone as all the other manufacturers do... no magic to it, but it is of course a development effort. The real issue is likely getting enough carrier agreements to make it worth while.

mdatwood
Jun 3, 2010, 09:23 AM
He didn't say anything about the iPad :)

Anuba
Jun 3, 2010, 09:26 AM
and of course anyone that has been saying it won't happen will be seeing this as a confirmation of what they want to hear when in reality there is no way that this guy would be giving a straight answer. :rolleyes:
Nobody was forcing him to mention anything about the "immediate future", that was his choice of words, and it was a straight answer. He didn't have to make a comment about it at all, especially 4 days before the Keynote. People on his level usually don't engage in "april fools" communication, they have stock prices to worry about. He's not lying. The key word here is "immediate", though, this leaves an opening for something on the horizon but it could be many months away.

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 09:28 AM

CDMA is very popular in the americas (north and south) and china. Its not inferior to GSM, just different (to respond to an earlier post). I would expect them to come out with a CDMA phone as all the other manufacturers do... no magic to it, but it is of course a development effort. The real issue is likely getting enough carrier agreements to make it worth while.

CDMA is inferior. Verizon's CDMA is now capped at 3 MB. They can't go any faster. Hence the rush to 4G. At least with ATT's 3G, they are upping it to 7.2MB and then 14.4MB. Also, CDMA does not support concurrent voice and data access.

SwiftLives
Jun 3, 2010, 09:29 AM
Can we now stop these Verizon iPhone/iPad rumors?

Apple will not build a CDMA device...their technology is old, slow, and lacks critical features.

Normally, I'd agree. But I've changed my stance on this a bit...

The main reason for Apple to release a CDMA phone - even if it would only be useable in the US, Japan, and one of the Koreas - is purely a defensive move to prevent Android & Google from gaining too much of a foothold in the US.

Oh - and don't think for a minute that Apple hasn't already developed and field tested (or is in the process of field testing) a CDMA-capable iPhone and iPad. Knowing Apple, they probably developed one from the very beginning - sort of like the OS X Intel transition.

Regardless, I don't expect a Verizon iPhone or iPad until 2011 at the earliest. Certainly not this year.

Although some of AT&T's latest moves could be interpreted as pre-emtive strikes against losing exclusivity - i.e. jacking the ETF fees.

Still - my gut tells me 2011.

ataboc
Jun 3, 2010, 09:29 AM
that HTC Evo is a pretty darn badass phone

capsfan1978
Jun 3, 2010, 09:30 AM

That's not what I've read. And yet not a single Verizon phone can do that.

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 09:30 AM
I tried showing my friend that exact reason why Verizon doesn't have the iPhone. Then he busted out his "Droid" as I watched him take a phone call and look up web sites and maps. It can be done...

Impossible on CDMA. He was probably on wifi for his data.

BigJimmyC
Jun 3, 2010, 09:31 AM

No, CDMA is inferior, no doubt about it. Until I can get a CDMA phone that I can unlock and take with me if I switch carriers I will never buy any CDMA device.

ryanbates
Jun 3, 2010, 09:31 AM
I definitely see a Verizon iPhone being in the works but I highly doubt that it will be announced on Monday. I think it's very possible one could be released closer to the holiday season, but if not then definitely next year.

Anuba
Jun 3, 2010, 09:32 AM

Popular or not, it's on its way out. Remember what Steve said in the D8 interview about having limited resources and therefore having to choose which horses to ride? Picking technologies that are in their spring, not their autumn? Technologies that have a trajectory leading into the future? CDMA has no such trajectory, it's a dead end. It would be very un-Apple to jump on a horse with two hooves in the grave.

likemyorbs

Really? i tried doing the same thing with my friend, and when she pulled out her droid and tried to use the internet while in a phone call, it refused to work. Maybe your friends droid was on wifi?

appledude222
He never really answered the question so what could that mean.

capsfan1978
Jun 3, 2010, 09:33 AM

If on wifi. Not on 3g. Or at least every Verizon and Droid forum I've seen says.

dernhelm
Jun 3, 2010, 09:33 AM
Ha! No soup for you!

It's too bad really, but it's all to do with the US cellular industry being the least customer focused industry in the world. If people were disciplined, they simply would not own cell phones until customer lock-in is a thing of the past, and handset manufacturers were not required to get into bed with a provider.

That's what I'm doing. I won't own a cell phone. Not until the industry (with perhaps help from the government?) figures out how to provide me with a cell service that is fair and reasonable.

K...
Jun 3, 2010, 09:34 AM
iPhone will come when Apple and Verizon agree. And probably only when Steve can make the announcement personally.

Gives us some Mac Pro rumors already! :-)

likemyorbs

No, actually it's up to the network. And Verizon's network "doesn't" even though droid "does"

Consultant
Of course not, because in competitive markets outside the U.S., where most carriers use GSM and multiple carriers got the iPhone, iPhone kills the knockoffs.

Verizon likes the knockoffs because verizon gets control over them.

fredoviola
Jun 3, 2010, 09:36 AM
Feels like I just watched an infomercial. Yuck.

pito189
Jun 3, 2010, 09:36 AM
I just don't see Apple having a 3G iPhone and a CDMA iPhone, that's not simple and would just confuse people in the Apple store, which they don't want at all.

Also no matter how many times I see it Pegatron is an awesome company name. :D

capsfan1978
Jun 3, 2010, 09:38 AM
that HTC Evo is a pretty darn badass phone

Too bad Sprint hasn't brought 4g to DC or NoVA yet or I might consider it.

diamond.g
Jun 3, 2010, 09:41 AM
No, CDMA is inferior, no doubt about it. Until I can get a CDMA phone that I can unlock and take with me if I switch carriers I will never buy any CDMA device.

Meet RUIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module). Sadly the US market has never shown interest in being able to take a handset between carriers (and they still don't since you can't do it for any 3G phone for any carrier and still have 3G work).

Qualcomm really screwed up the CDMA name calling their tech CDMA2000. Purely as a channel access method CDMA is superior to GSM (of the TDMA type). To further prove the point, GSM 3G doesn't even use TDMA.

SinfonianShrek
Jun 3, 2010, 09:44 AM

This is exactly what I came in here to say.

Well, that and there are a lot of people making noise about GSM being so much better than CDMA. Here's the thing: if a person spends a significant amount of time outside of the country then you'd be best suited to a GSM phone, provided it's got support for international bands. Otherwise the American customer just wants access. I can and have placed calls all over this country using my CDMA (Verizon) phone without issue. My data access works just as reliably. Simple truth: I'll sacrifice blinding speed at the best of times and the ability to browse while I talk in order to have reliable, moderately fast access.

Besides, CDMA is a more mature standard and is generally better implemented in this country. Like I said, it may not be as fast as GSM but I've never had a dropped call without walking/driving into a natural dead zone or a Faraday cage.

Tyler.Schmaltz
Jun 3, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just don't see Apple having a 3G iPhone and a CDMA iPhone, that's not simple and would just confuse people in the Apple store, which they don't want at all.

Not simple hows that not simple? Most phone makers make both type of phones. Also you walk into the apple store and they ask you ok what carrier you going to be using. OK heres the Iphone that works on that carrier. Done

SinfonianShrek
Jun 3, 2010, 09:49 AM

Actually, they would label it a 3G phone as well. The 3G doesn't refer to any specific data access platform so much as a rough delineation of the generation of said platform for the particular carrier. As such, Verizon refers to their EV-DO as 3G and as such the iPhone could continue to be branded 3G, though I would expect Apple to remove ambiguity through the use of parenthetical addons: 3G (GSM) and 3G (CDMA)

Thunder82
Jun 3, 2010, 09:49 AM
This should shut up Verizon fanboys for a while.

Seriously.. this Verizon/Apple thing gets SO effing old.

kyleh613
Jun 3, 2010, 09:54 AM
What is with all of the conflicting reports on Verizon carrying the iphone? I've been hearing yes and then no, over and over again for months now. For now i'm just going to assume that the CEO of Verizon is just being secretive and that they won't be carrying the iphone.

Full of Win
Jun 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
The best reply: No comment

AgingGeek
Jun 3, 2010, 09:56 AM
Gee, that's too bad.

I had FOUR dropped calls with AT&T this morning.

reggie23x
Jun 3, 2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, I didnt know that Carol O'connor (Archie Bunker) was a spokesman for Verizon Wireless...

haha... sorry young forum audience...that may only be funny to those who are in the mid-to-late 30's or older...

Amnak
Well Verizon just lost a customer for a few reasons.

One no iPhone and Two there data plans are outrages I'll be able to pick up an iPhone with only 15 $ of data were on Verizon to get a droid I need a 30$ minimum of data.

SinfonianShrek
Meet RUIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module). Sadly the US market has never shown interest in being able to take a handset between carriers (and they still don't since you can't do it for any 3G phone for any carrier and still have 3G work).

Qualcomm really screwed up the CDMA name calling their tech CDMA2000. Purely as a channel access method CDMA is superior to GSM (of the TDMA type). To further prove the point, GSM 3G doesn't even use TDMA.

*DING DING DING DING DING* We have a winner!

The simple fact is that in the US we've developed a wireless industry based around the contractual linking of customer to provider. Aside from the occasional customer who gets fed up and shifts providers out of frustration we're pretty much happy being tied to one service provider at least for the length of our cell contracts. A lot of people point at Europe as an example of how we should associate with providers. They most often buy their phones at cost and operate without a contract (or sign a very short term contract and get a minute subsidy on the phone) and will switch carriers as it suits their need or whim.

Of course the US is not likely to develop the same kind of cellular environment as Europe because a lot of other factors and societal differences (views on expenses, amount of debt, population density and thus carrier choices) will prevent that from happening. Plus it would require the formal adoption of a country-wide standard for cellular service and a concrete, no-excuses, change over deadline. That's not going to happen.

NoExpectations
I truly believe we have a number of Verizon Fanboys (read employees) who want to keep giving false hope to their current customers in order to delay/avoid a mass exodus.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jun 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
So... what were people expecting them to say?
"You bet! It's right around the bend!"

I imagine even "we can't comment on that," would have gone against any potential agreement they might have with Apple. And it is reasonable to conclude that if it is coming, it won't be in the 'immediate future' anyway.

SinfonianShrek
Jun 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well Verizon just lost a customer for a few reasons.

One no iPhone and Two there data plans are outrages I'll be able to pick up an iPhone with only 15 $ of data were on Verizon to get a droid I need a 30$ minimum of data.

I've got a Droid Eris on that $30 plan. I regularly use in excess of 15 gigs of data access. How much would that cost me on AT&T's $15 plan when you count in all the overage charges I would incur?

Don't get me wrong. If you don't use a whole lot of data access then it's a great alternative. However, if you're a heavy user like I am then the $30 is more than justified.

Becordial
Jun 3, 2010, 10:05 AM
Seriously.. this Verizon/Apple thing gets SO effing old.

Even that is understatement. The obsession on this site over one carrier in one market is ridiculous. Are they really so great?

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
I've got a Droid Eris on that $30 plan. I regularly use in excess of 15 gigs of data access. How much would that cost me on AT&T's $15 plan when you count in all the overage charges I would incur?

Don't get me wrong. If you don't use a whole lot of data access then it's a great alternative. However, if you're a heavy user like I am then the $30 is more than justified.

For starters you could use all the data you want untill june 7th so get your facts straight son. And then if you have the unlimited plan you can keep it because it's grandfathered over. So no one is being forced to change.

Also i hope you have that attitude when VZW rolls out the same tiered pricing plan. LEt's see then how greener the grass is on your side then.

Tigger92
Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
Just something to consider is that in the carriers world, "immediate future" can mean only a few weeks to a couple of months. If the iPhone were slated in November, and I think this would be a good thing, it would probably be not considered "immediate future". I say this with having worked for Lucent/ATT and worked with several carriers on products.

bergmef
Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 AM
That's not what I've read. And yet not a single Verizon phone can do that.

The spec was only passed last year in the fall if I remember correctly. I'm guessing most phones right now were designed or were being designed at that time.

From Qualcomm PR (they do have it baked into chips now that are being tested in the wild).

Simultaneous 1X voice and EV-DO data (SVDO) is a new, standard-independent device feature that significantly enhances user experience without impacting the infrastructure side. In today' s networks, a device can be paged to receive 1X voice calls while in an EV-DO data session. However, no data connectivity is possible while in a voice call. SVDO changes this by establishing independent voice and data sessions using separate transmit and receive chains in the device.

The SVDO feature will be supported in new devices, and will work with 1X or 1X Advanced with EV-DO Rev. A or Rev. B. Qualcomm is planning to support the SVDO feature in all of its new EV-DO MSM chipsets.

Where did you see it that the current network could not handle it?

stewart715
Jun 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
This guy is a Verizon SPOKESPERSON. They tell him what to say to every question asked. "If asked about the iPhone, say there are no plans in the immediate future and quickly move topic to the Droid devices..."

I'm not saying there will be an iPhone this Summer or even by next year, but he just says what he's told to say. You think he'd wink at the camera and be like "maybe, we'll see..." No. This should be on Page 2.

bks691
Jun 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
And tomorrow there will be at least two new "verizon is getting the iPhone" threads. It's either that or their plugging useless android devices. They just don't get it! :D

bergmef
Jun 3, 2010, 10:15 AM
Even that is understatement. The obsession on this site over one carrier in one market is ridiculous. Are they really so great?

Personally, I don't think they are great, I'm just kinda stuck in a bad ATT spot. It's the devil that works in the area I need to be. They are all evil in my book.

icyfire
Jun 3, 2010, 10:17 AM
Didn't the whole no contract unlimited data plan at&t offered for the ipad extend the Iphone exclusivity agreement 6 months. So wouldn't that of ended in June of 2010 so now it ends January 1 2011 which would fit with all the rumors of a 2011 release on Verizon? And it only makes sense for apple to release it phone to one of the largest U.S carriers. Yeah CDMA is a little slower and older but from a pure business stand point it would be retarded not to release it to Verizon.

well the contract extension thing is on shaky grounds now that AT&T killed the $30 unlimited plan just two months after Steve Jobs announced it as one of the landmark pros of the iPad 3G. As for CDMA being slower, it doesn't matter. CDMA is the only available service for a good chunk of Americans due to AT&T's inability to build out their network.

I will admit that my hopes for a verizon iPhone are kind of dashed after hearing this guy, but I still have faith that the iPhone will be released on some other carrier on Monday because of Job's ambiguity when asked whether there would be a benefit to releasing on two carriers. Normally, he would have shot down the question by saying that they are happy with a one carrier model or something to that effect. I also feel that no one short of the top brass (president, CEO, etc) at Verizon would know whether an iPhone is coming.

charlituna
Jun 3, 2010, 10:18 AM
Johnson's comments are not much of a surprise, considering that he would be unable to divulge any such plans if they did exist

or he is simply telling the truth in a polite way without getting into the whole "because ATT has an exclusive contract with Apple for carrying the iphone until 2012, as was announced by Jobs on day one. So even if we wanted the iphone we can't have it" stuff. Since he wants the focus to be on what they do have. Given that that is his job

Kstone113
Jun 3, 2010, 10:24 AM
For starters you could use all the data you want untill june 7th so get your facts straight son. And then if you have the unlimited plan you can keep it because it's grandfathered over. So no one is being forced to change.

Also i hope you have that attitude when VZW rolls out the same tiered pricing plan. LEt's see then how greener the grass is on your side then.

Between VZdub and AT&T...it's a copy cat thing. If one makes a change...most of the time the other will. Now not always, like the roll over minutes with AT&T but still...in most cases with a major move like this, they will. I believe VZdub will roll out the same/similiar kind of changes to a tier'd pricing plan for data.

MERCY!!!! 15gigs of DATA monthly on your droid....what in the world are you doing on that thing? That is some serious data useage and your are the exception or in the 5% that uses that much. If you are just doing this solely on your droid...wow...I'm amazed and appauld you!!!! You are definitely getting your $$$ worth! I looked at what I use on my iPhone with AT&T and the most I used which they have record of is 299mb's. I am thinking about switching down to the $25 dataplus package when I get the new iPhone coming up.

As far as the iPhone coming to VZdub....I am still unsure. Common sense tells me next year but that doesn't always add up. I know for a fact Verizon employees have told people I know it is coming in October. I'm in the Chicago burbs and my AT&T coverage is great! I welcome the iPhone to Verizon because that will mean people jumping ship and even better coverage and less stress on the network. Since I'll be signing a new 2 year with the new iPhone with AT&T....I'll see where VZdub and AT&T are 2 years from now with 4G and coverage and make a decision whether I go over to VZdub. Note....I was with Verizon for 8 years before I switched to AT&T 2 years ago. Been very happy with my service with AT&T. But for those who don't get the kind of coverage I get in Chicago land...I really feel for those who really want an iPhone but get crappy coverage...I down deep believe if the iPhone would of launched with Verizon in '07, they would have very similiar problems with dropped called. NOBODY knew how popular this phone would be and if Verizon would of been smart and taken Apple Demands....AT&T would probably be in as good as shape as Sprint is right now.

SinfonianShrek
Jun 3, 2010, 10:24 AM

First off, the comment I was referencing was dealing strictly based on the price between $15 and $30. I'm well aware that current customers can maintain their $30 unlimited plan. Assuming my ignorance does little to increase the impression that you are in any way, shape, or form more knowledgeable than I in anything much less the topic at hand.

Secondly, when Verizon makes the change to a tiered plan like this then I'll simply change my habits and do most of my mobile internet consumption via WiFi. I was simply speaking of the immediate future. AT&T's plan changes in how many days? There isn't even an announced change to Verizon's service as of yet.

Thirdly, whatever happened to the idea of reasonable discussion? I state a simple truth: for that $30 I get, and will continue to get until Verizon changes its plans, unlimited data. For the $15 a person will be limited to 200MB (with $15 for every 200MB of overage) once the cut over happens. In response you assume ignorance on my part and respond in a rather demeaning manner. What is your problem?

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 10:26 AM
well the contract extension thing is on shaky grounds now that Apple killed the $30 unlimited plan just two months after Steve Jobs announced it as one of the landmark pros of the iPad 3G.

Why? It's even better now. If you are an existing ATT customer, you get to keep the $30/mo unlimited plan.

All customers can enter with $15/mo. Far better than the others who charge $60/mo.

Anuba
Jun 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
Gee, that's too bad.

What the hell is AT&T doing? They have the same infrastructure equipment as every other carrier in the world. Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent boxes. But you have to deploy tons of them, cheapskates...

I've had zero dropped calls on my iPhone 3G here in Scandinavia after Apple fixed some bugs in the iPhone OS (I had dropped calls initially but that was due to the initial release of iPhone OS 2.0... 2.0.2 took care of that).

pmz
Jun 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
Exactly the response one would expect, including the emphasis on the word immediate.

With new hardware launching on AT&T in 4 days, it will be another long summer of exclusivity. Come September, which is in no way the "immediate future" we're going to hear something regarding new carriers. By years end, there will undoubtedly be a Verizon iPhone.

But any spokesperson would be expected to say just this, "Not yet, but, look at all our great phones!"

SinfonianShrek
Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
Between VZdub and AT&T...it's a copy cat thing. If one makes a change...most of the time the other will. Now not always, like the roll over minutes with AT&T but still...in most cases with a major move like this, they will. I believe VZdub will roll out the same/similiar kind of changes to a tier'd pricing plan for data.

MERCY!!!! 15gigs of DATA monthly on your droid....what in the world are you doing on that thing? That is some serious data useage and your are the exception or in the 5% that uses that much. If you are just doing this solely on your droid...wow...I'm amazed and appauld you!!!! You are definitely getting your $$$ worth! I looked at what I use on my iPhone with AT&T and the most I used which they have record of is 299mb's. I am thinking about switching down to the $25 dataplus package when I get the new iPhone coming up.

As far as the iPhone coming to VZdub....I am still unsure. Common sense tells me next year but that doesn't always add up. I know for a fact Verizon employees have told people I know it is coming in October. I'm in the Chicago burbs and my AT&T coverage is great! I welcome the iPhone to Verizon because that will mean people jumping ship and even better coverage and less stress on the network. Since I'll be signing a new 2 year with the new iPhone with AT&T....I'll see where VZdub and AT&T are 2 years from now with 4G and coverage and make a decision whether I go over to VZdub. Note....I was with Verizon for 8 years before I switched to AT&T 2 years ago. Been very happy with my service with AT&T. But for those who don't get the kind of coverage I get in Chicago land...I really feel for those who really want an iPhone but get crappy coverage...I down deep believe if the iPhone would of launched with Verizon in '07, they would have very similiar problems with dropped called. NOBODY knew how popular this phone would be and if Verizon would of been smart and taken Apple Demands....AT&T would probably be in as good as shape as Sprint is right now.

I participate in a lot of development projects for Android. I'm working with some friends to try and develop a reasonable media player with decent codec support and that's currently my big bandwidth hog. I do almost nightly tests of builds and try to stream large files from a public server over the cellular connection.

Aside from that I have a few scripts doing regular checks on my work servers (every 5 minutes) so that I know when one of my public services goes down before the company's e-mail alert system will even register the failure.

No, I don't have good battery life but I do have great uptime.

Scooterman1
Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 AM
Immediate is a long word with a very short wait.

charlituna
Jun 3, 2010, 10:33 AM

How so?

You do know that if you already have the unlimited plan

For starters you could use all the data you want untill june 7th

Actually no. If you actually read the fine print you signed to when you got the iphone, you would recall a clause giving them the right to charge you more money if you go over 5GB so long as they give you advance warning and allow you a free out on your contract if you don't agree.

The first overage or perhaps two (if they aren't right together) they might let slide. but if you are going over 5GB every month or so they will most certainly slap you with a charge. You are that 3% they want to snag as the bandwidth hogs. Not the 97% that according to ATT rarely to never goes over even 2GB (and even the rarely according to them don't go over on a regular basis so the 1GB for $10 won't be that huge an issue)

Didn't the whole no contract unlimited data plan at&t offered for the ipad extend the Iphone exclusivity agreement 6 months.

there is zero proof that such an agreement exists.

LondonCentral
...you guys have a weird network thing going on, and as an outsider...reading about it is bloody boring!:p

I'm going to have an 02 pay as you go sim with 12 months unlimited internet browsing when I get the new iPhone.

The last thing I want is to be stuck with an 18 or 24 month contract and then having to buy myself out of it or pay over the odds to upgrade to the next iPhone (probably with an even longer contract!). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Europeans are increasingly buying their phones sans contract (and either going pre-pay or using an existing contract) and apparently more and more American consumers are doing this too.

pmz
Gee, that's too bad.

But I've had FOUR dropped calls with AT&T in 4 years....

So, perhaps you (shocker) live in an area without great AT&T coverage? I'm not excusing AT&T for any of the poor service they sell, but it doesn't mean they don't offer good or even excellent service in other, or most, areas.

kironin
Jun 3, 2010, 10:34 AM
Popular or not, it's on its way out. Remember what Steve said in the D8 interview about having limited resources and therefore having to choose which horses to ride? Picking technologies that are in their spring, not their autumn? Technologies that have a trajectory leading into the future? CDMA has no such trajectory, it's a dead end. It would be very un-Apple to jump on a horse with two hooves in the grave.

Thinking the same thing, this would be the best argument against a CDMA phone. Now it will be interesting to see how much Apple fears Android next week. If they announce a CDMA phone or even say something about a LTE phone coming, then it's a lot given Steve's statements at D8.

charlituna
Jun 3, 2010, 10:37 AM
well the contract extension thing is on shaky grounds now that AT&T killed the $30 unlimited plan just two months after Steve Jobs announced it as one of the landmark pros of the iPad 3G.

Are you willing to back up that statement with your real name and your position at either Apple or ATT. Otherwise you are spreading theories and guess work as fact.

We don't know that such an extension exists. We don't know the conditions if it does. For all we know, Jobs asked for them to lower the prices. Or at least it was done with his blessing.

jman314
Jun 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
Secondly, when Verizon makes the change to a tiered plan like this then I'll simply change my habits and do most of my mobile internet consumption via WiFi.

Wow, that's a lot of data. Just curious are you tethering or doing all of this on your phone? I thought I used a lot of data but mine is nothing compared to yours.

nevermind, your already answered. Thanks!!!!

icyfire
Jun 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
Why? It's even better now. If you are an existing ATT customer, you get to keep the $30/mo unlimited plan.

All customers can enter with $15/mo. Far better than the others who charge $60/mo.

It doesn't matter whether it's better or not. AT&T usurped Steve Jobs's announcement which I consider a big deal. Now if Steve had never announced the plan so prominently during the iPad unveiling, then it might not be as big a deal. But he pretty much made it one of the main tenents of the iPad 3G and is now made to look like a fool when AT&T changes the gameplan a mere 2 months later. Plus, if this was a joint decision, I think we would have heard Steve say something about it. I have a feeling that something fell through and the reason probably was Apple's insistence on pursuing a multi carrier model (not necessarily Verizon though, could be anyone).

Popeye206
Jun 3, 2010, 10:40 AM
Let's see.... you're Verizon and it's a week before Steve Jobs takes the stage to make "major" announcements.... maybe even a Verizon deal.... knowing that Apple gets upset when the PR apple cart is tipped, don't you think the response would be exactly what this guy said?

The iPhone on Verizon would be the biggest thing to hit Verizon in decades. They are not going to risk tainting the deal if it's in the wings.

Don't expect anything until Steve opens the box at the developers conference.

My predictions: iPhone 4G (obvious), shipping within a week or two.
More content deals.
Expanded development tools for iPhone/iPad.
Verizon Deal

I don't think we'll see a new iPad until September when the iPods get their yearly refresh. Apple is selling iPads just fine now... why rock the boat?

dwd3885
Jun 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
Verizon does have excellent Android devices. The iPhone isn't the end all, be all in the world of cell phones, as much as many of you on this site would like to think.

icyfire
Jun 3, 2010, 10:43 AM
Are you willing to back up that statement with your real name and your position at either Apple or ATT. Otherwise you are spreading theories and guess work as fact.

We don't know that such an extension exists. We don't know the conditions if it does. For all we know, Jobs asked for them to lower the prices. Or at least it was done with his blessing.

Yes, you're right I don't know whether a contract extension does exist so that's mere speculation. But knowing Steve Jobs and his control freak nature, I have no doubt that he would have announced something along with AT&T had the decision to change the data prices been mutual. Instead what we have is Apple announcing one thing and AT&T completely dismissing it, something that would have never happened in the past and especially not during mid cycle for the product (in this case, the iPad). Now if it was just the iPhone data prices being changed, that would be more palatable since AT&T was known for changing the data price when the 3G came out. But to change the iPad data price is quite a move.

Popeye206
Jun 3, 2010, 10:45 AM
But he pretty much made it one of the main tenents of the iPad 3G and is now made to look like a fool when AT&T changes the gameplan a mere 2 months later.

Huh???? The plans they announced for the iPad are pretty much what they are changing to iPhone too? I don't see any change of plans????

If anything, AT&T is offering up more choice for different types of users. Cheap for those who are casual customers and more expensive for the power surfers. Like the other poster said, still cheaper than some other plans by other carriers.

Sometimes I think people just look for ways to trash AT&T for no reason. I know they're not perfect, but they've always treated me well.

icyfire
Jun 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
Huh???? The plans they announced for the iPad are pretty much what they are changing to iPhone too? I don't see any change of plans????

Um dude, they are scrubbing the $30 unlimited plan for the iPad. Did you not get the memo?

Popeye206
Jun 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
Verizon does have excellent Android devices. The iPhone isn't the end all, be all in the world of cell phones, as much as many of you on this site would like to think.

We know this... as their are good non-apple computers and MP3 players, etc.... but this IS and Apple enthusiast site... no wonder so many of us love our Apple products?

R3tard
Jun 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Really? i tried doing the same thing with my friend, and when she pulled out her droid and tried to use the internet while in a phone call, it refused to work. Maybe your friends droid was on wifi?

I was blown away. We were on a lake in Kansas. I had my Edge network on my iPhone and he had his Droid on Verizon. I like my iPhone much better, but he was able to do it. There isn't a doubt.

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
It doesn't matter whether it's better or not. AT&T usurped Steve Jobs's announcement which I consider a big deal.

How do you know that Steve was not aware and did not approve the additional pricing options?

ipadking
Jun 3, 2010, 10:50 AM
I think something is definitely up between Apple and AT&T. AT&T just basically said screw you to Steve Jobs and Apple. Looks like iPhone will definitely be on another carrier. AT&T is upset about something, next week we'll know for sure.
I think the loser won't be Apple, AT&T will be the loser. Look what happend with Adobe/Apple relationship, and who will be the long term winner, not Adobe.

If AT&T was smart, they should've played along. Dump AT&T stock, they are going to lose subscribers like crazy.

alhedges
Jun 3, 2010, 10:52 AM
Let's see.... you're Verizon and it's a week before Steve Jobs takes the stage to make "major" announcements.... maybe even a Verizon deal.... knowing that Apple gets upset when the PR apple cart is tipped, don't you think the response would be exactly what this guy said?

I would expect him to tell the truth, no matter what SJ thinks, as misleading investors violates the security exchange act, will get the attention of the SEC, and will lead to much worse consequences than anything SJ can do.

Of course, what he said was pretty nonspecific, so he should be good. But corporations *can't* just say anything they want.

Popeye206
Jun 3, 2010, 10:55 AM
Um dude, they are scrubbing the $30 unlimited plan for the iPad. Did you not get the memo?

:D:D:D Got the memo now! It was really confusing the way the article was written.

So I guess AT&T is reacting to the bandwidth issue. I'm sure they're trying to have people use their home network more for big downloads vs trying to use the 3G network to download video's and books. With WiFi so available, I don't see this as a huge issue. Business users who may rely on the iPad portability may get upset. As a consumer... no big deal.

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 10:55 AM
Actually no. If you actually read the fine print you signed to when you got the iphone, you would recall a clause giving them the right to charge you more money if you go over 5GB so long as they give you advance warning and allow you a free out on your contract if you don't agree.

The first overage or perhaps two (if they aren't right together) they might let slide. but if you are going over 5GB every month or so they will most certainly slap you with a charge. You are that 3% they want to snag as the bandwidth hogs. Not the 97% that according to ATT rarely to never goes over even 2GB (and even the rarely according to them don't go over on a regular basis so the 1GB for $10 won't be that huge an issue)

Actually there is no overage charge for overage iphone unlimited data and considering i work for AT&T i should know.

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
I was blown away. We were on a lake in Kansas. I had my Edge network on my iPhone and he had his Droid on Verizon. I like my iPhone much better, but he was able to do it. There isn't a doubt.
Sounds fishy.

Basically, your friend's phone does something on the Verizon network that no other Verizon customer can get to do. Are you sure your friend wasn't looking at cached content? Or perhaps a MiFi in his pocket?

If one was really able to talk and surf simultaneous on Verizon Wireless, don't you think they would be touting that ability?

skyehill
Jun 3, 2010, 10:57 AM
I love that the video doesn't work on an iPad. Thanks Steve. You clown.

Popeye206
Jun 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
I would expect him to tell the truth, no matter what SJ thinks, as misleading investors violates the security exchange act, will get the attention of the SEC, and will lead to much worse consequences than anything SJ can do.

Of course, what he said was pretty nonspecific, so he should be good. But corporations *can't* just say anything they want.

Wrong... just the opposite. By SEC rules, being an "insider" to big business deals he is bound not to prematurely disclose information that would affect stock prices. Nor can he trade just before big deals are announced.

He is not lying or telling the truth... he's being a smart business man and keeping his cards close.

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
Sounds fishy.

Basically, your friend's phone does something on the Verizon network that no other Verizon customer can get to do. Are you sure your friend wasn't looking at cached content? Or perhaps a MiFi in his pocket?

If one was really able to talk and surf simultaneous on Verizon Wireless, don't you think they would be touting that ability?

Exactly! You cannot talk and surf at the same on Any Verizon phone unless you are connected to wifi. I Should know because i tested the waters by purchasing a Droid when it was first released.

The only way this will be supported is when SVDO is implemented and no current phone on vZW's network can handle that.

Because it requires a completly diffrent chipset

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 11:00 AM
or he is simply telling the truth in a polite way without getting into the whole "because ATT has an exclusive contract with Apple for carrying the iphone until 2012, as was announced by Jobs on day one. So even if we wanted the iphone we can't have it" stuff. Since he wants the focus to be on what they do have. Given that that is his job
I doubt that the Verizon spokeman knows the details of the current agreement between AT&T and Apple.

You know that contracts can be changed, right? Like if you switch from a 30-year mortgage to a 15-year mortgage?

While it's entirely possible that the original contract laid out terms for exclusivity through 2012, there's also a very real chance that this contract was replaced by something else in light of the fact that AT&T stopped revenue sharing with Apple and started paying an outright subsidy.

skyehill
Jun 3, 2010, 11:01 AM

That's the nature of the Apple fanboy. If Droid has it, it's not important. If iphone has it, it's MAGICAL. Pathetic but true.

Kavik
Jun 3, 2010, 11:02 AM
I think something is definitely up between Apple and AT&T. AT&T just basically said screw you to Steve Jobs and Apple. Looks like iPhone will definitely be on another carrier. AT&T is upset about something, next week we'll know for sure.
I think the loser won't be Apple, AT&T will be the loser. Look what happend with Adobe/Apple relationship, and who will be the long term winner, not Adobe.

If AT&T was smart, they should've played along. Dump AT&T stock, they are going to lose subscribers like crazy.

I agree 100%. As opposed to what NoExpectations said above, the loss of the iPad 3G unlimited plan is not an "additional pricing option" but a major blow to Apple and a personal slap in the face to Jobs after he highlighted their "breakthrough deal" with AT&T in January. Having AT&T pull this stunt just 5 weeks after the release of the Wifi+3G has to mean something.

If it's not Verizon, then I'm hoping they have T-Mobile in the wings for Monday :D

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 11:04 AM
That's the nature of the Apple fanboy. If Droid has it, it's not important. If iphone has it, it's MAGICAL. Pathetic but true.

You have to remember though that if someone doesn't use a particular feature then it's not important to them.

I will admit when the ipod came out i was only into having my music with me all times. I didn't give a damn about video. So you can't sit there and call someone out over not wanting a feature that you want.

BC2009
Jun 3, 2010, 11:15 AM
Rather than comment on the iPhone on Verizon saga (which resurrects itself every June).....

I was curious if that video taken at the Il Forniao restaurant in Del Mar? It sure looked like the balcony at that restaurant with that view of the beach.

carthief
Jun 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
OK, the use of the word "fanboy" has gotten out of control. At least two posts in this thread refer to "Verizon fanboys." Honestly? Wireless carriers have fanboys now?

beebler
Jun 3, 2010, 11:16 AM
It'll happen sooner or later, the sooner the better. With Android across the board, the iPhone needs to be on more than one carrier.

currentinterest
Jun 3, 2010, 11:26 AM
The strange plan is the one for tethering. If I understand it correctly, one pays $20 to use up their 2GB of data faster. I could understand limiting the data and allowing tethering, but limiting data and charging more for tethering is real nonsense. And I typically like AT&T.

We will see the iPhone on more carriers in the fall, and will see no new iPad hardware until 2011. Just makes the most business sense.

JAT
Jun 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
Of course the US is not likely to develop the same kind of cellular environment as Europe because a lot of other factors and societal differences (views on expenses, amount of debt, population density and thus carrier choices) will prevent that from happening. Plus it would require the formal adoption of a country-wide standard for cellular service and a concrete, no-excuses, change over deadline. That's not going to happen.
Tmobile has changed their serivce plans to accommodate this. But the hardware exchange can't really happen with the current SIM/noSIM issues across the carriers.

Kstone113
Jun 3, 2010, 11:35 AM
I participate in a lot of development projects for Android. I'm working with some friends to try and develop a reasonable media player with decent codec support and that's currently my big bandwidth hog. I do almost nightly tests of builds and try to stream large files from a public server over the cellular connection.

Aside from that I have a few scripts doing regular checks on my work servers (every 5 minutes) so that I know when one of my public services goes down before the company's e-mail alert system will even register the failure.

No, I don't have good battery life but I do have great uptime.

Ok, that makes sense. Sounds like some good stuff. Good luck in your testing and development.

Plutonius
Jun 3, 2010, 11:36 AM

You will end up seeing similar pricing at the other cell providers.

Plutonius
Jun 3, 2010, 11:39 AM
OK, the use of the word "fanboy" has gotten out of control. At least two posts in this thread refer to "Verizon fanboys." Honestly? Wireless carriers have fanboys now?

Yep, whenever someone is losing an argument or wants to troll, they start throwing out the word "fanboy"

Consultant
Jun 3, 2010, 11:43 AM
This is exactly what I came in here to say.

Well, that and there are a lot of people making noise about GSM being so much better than CDMA.

That means your device is pretty much hardware locked to Verizon, as you can't use it internationally without expensive data charges from Verizoon.

GSM phones can be unlocked for traveling.

icyfire
Jun 3, 2010, 11:47 AM
That means your device is pretty much hardware locked to Verizon, as you can't use it internationally without expensive data charges from Verizoon.

GSM phones can be unlocked for traveling.

Verizon sells a couple of dual mode CDMA/GSM blackberrys that can be unlocked and used internationally. No reason that other companies can't release similar phones.

carlgo
Jun 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
CDMA is inferior. Verizon's CDMA is now capped at 3 MB. They can't go any faster. Hence the rush to 4G. At least with ATT's 3G, they are upping it to 7.2MB and then 14.4MB. Also, CDMA does not support concurrent voice and data access.

But you can make a phone call on that inferior technology.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Jun 3, 2010, 12:04 PM
No iPhone on Verizon.....CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!?!

synth3tik
Jun 3, 2010, 12:09 PM
what were is parents thinking, naming their kid John Johnson.

carmenodie
Jun 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
Att may not have the coverage like Verizon but Verizon never said they could handle the power of the iphone usage.
Coverage doesn't equal capability

louis Fashion
Jun 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
I think he is telling the truth. Verizon will not have the iPhone for a year or so. Sad, but that's life.

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 12:15 PM
what were is parents thinking, naming their kid John Johnson.
"Hey, let's make Facebook searches worthless by picking an utterly generic name!"

carmenodie
Jun 3, 2010, 12:21 PM
Here is the thing, Android isn't one phone company but a coalition of competing cell phone makers, sans Apple, that carry a free OS. Period.End of.
Besides, Google pays Apple 100 million a year to carry its search. WTF.

millertime021
Jun 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
Gee, that's too bad.

Gee, that's too bad.

I've had FOUR dropped calls with AT&T this year. (if that)

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 12:36 PM
Hypothetical Verizon iPhone

Max speed 3.1mb
No concurrent Voice/Data
No rollover minutes
Need to buy a new phone for that unexpected trip outside the US

Real ATT iPhone

Max speed 7.2mb
Concurrent Voice/Data
Rollover Minutes
Global Standard

gtg660w
Jun 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
Seriously,

This dead horse has been drug through hell and back so many times now that it's kind of to the point where idiots are now in denial. It economically and strategically does not make sense for Apple to manufacture a CDMA iphone when Verizon and Sprint are in the process of upgrading to LTE. Why would Apple want to hire more people to make a phone that will have a life span of less than a year?
Once all carriers have LTE going full blast, Apple can continue what they are doing and just focus on engineering a phone to handle an LTE signal and guess what??
Thats right - All carriers will be able to run it. **Hooray**
-- btw, that includes Verizon as well for all of you wishful thinkers.

the end.

skyehill
Jun 3, 2010, 12:56 PM
You will end up seeing similar pricing at the other cell providers.

Not in the near future I won't. With the Evo I get a better phone, a better phone OS, much cheaper costs, a better network, unlimited tethering for free (with no jail breaking or rooting required as Sprint says its ok to use). And I also get real turn by turn navigation. Why has Apple been so god awful in regards to that? I guess turn by turn isn't important until they can make it magical. Sorry Apple, Google not oly beat you to the punch, they knocked you out.

mattster16
Jun 3, 2010, 01:24 PM
Not in the near future I won't. With the Evo I get a better phone, a better phone OS, much cheaper costs, a better network, unlimited tethering for free (with no jail breaking or rooting required as Sprint says its ok to use). And I also get real turn by turn navigation. Why has Apple been so god awful in regards to that? I guess turn by turn isn't important until they can make it magical. Sorry Apple, Google not oly beat you to the punch, they knocked you out.

Sprint has bandwidth throttling for users who use over 5GB while tethering. I wouldn't say Sprint's network is better. It is pretty slow in my experience and if you leave a city coverage is sparse (I'm sure it's better in the select places they have 4G though). I do like their plans and prices.

atomicpolywog
Jun 3, 2010, 01:29 PM

I'm an apple consultant and i work with iPhones almost every day, and hold several apple certifications, so don't flame me too hard; i'm as big a Mac fan as anyone. Apple's ongoing success is how I make my living. However, I'm also stuck with Verizon due to company stuff, so I recently caved and got an HTC Incredible.

Sure, you can find nitpicks about it, just like you can with the iPhone, but it's really not a bad device all around. I'm especially fond of the Google Voice integration; Google really one-upped Apple's visual voicemail with it. Also, you can easily get apps that allow tethering that bypass the "official" tethering service that Verizon charges for, due to the somewhat-more-open ecosystem. I also really enjoy streaming pandora while I'm driving to meet clients, so i appreciate that I'm contracted now for at least two years of an "unlimited" data plan at a reasonable (compared to new AT&T pricing) price. Verizon's soft cap is 5 gigs, and at $30/mo the same thing would cost $55/mo under the new AT&T disgrace.

Sure, I'll get flamed for saying it, but after using it for about a month, I'd rather have the Incredible than a Verizon 3GS if it existed, and I'd only really feel bad if a Verizon iPhone HD does turn up next week.

As for whatever comes out with AT&T, I used 2.5 gigs of data last month, and I'm only ever going to want to do MORE with my phone, not less. So the recent change in AT&T's pricing killed any chance of me ever switching to AT&T, no matter how great the new iPhone is. Good job, AT&T!

I know Verizon's probably going tiered too soon though, so who knows where we'll be when my 2 year contract ends. Sprint maybe?

yg17
Jun 3, 2010, 01:31 PM
But you can make a phone call on that inferior technology.

I make phone calls all the time on AT&T. They never drop. What's your point?

atomicpolywog
Jun 3, 2010, 01:36 PM

Max speed 3.1mb
No concurrent Voice/Data
No rollover minutes

Real ATT iPhone

Max speed 7.2mb
Concurrent Voice/Data
Rollover Minutes
Global Standard

Spoken like an AT&T spokesperson. Could you add bullet points for 3G coverage and ACTUAL real world network performance?

DifferentialApp
Jun 3, 2010, 01:42 PM
Dang. I guess I will be getting an iPad and a Droid Incredible :(

I really needed the iPhone to come to verizon because i don't have any coverage with at&t at the house.

I really hope the iphone does come to verizon in like november.

NoExpectations
Jun 3, 2010, 02:19 PM
Spoken like an AT&T spokesperson. Could you add bullet points for 3G coverage and ACTUAL real world network performance?

I am not an AT&T spokesperson. I typically try to present 'the other side' on these witch hunts.

PC Mag just tested the speeds of all the major wireless carriers....here is the link. Nothing new...AT&T is fastest...but also least consistent.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364263,00.asp

kicko
Jun 3, 2010, 02:20 PM
The key term is "immediate future”

immediate = Right mo'f'n now!

i think we can all guess its not going to happen this summer. His comments do not decline anything beyond that.

3goldens
Jun 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
Liar!

jjo
Jun 3, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't understand why all the Apple fanboys are also AT&T fanboys.

If you love the iPhone so much, wouldn't you want it to thrive on as many outlets as possible? Being exclusive to one company isn't a good way to grow. If Apple wants to compete with Android, they need to open themselves up.

Most users who were willing to move to AT&T for the iPhone have already moved in the 3+ years it's been available. New AT&T iPhone customers can only start to decline. Sure, there will be occasional spikes once a year when Apple releases a new phone, but overall, it's a downward trend.

I don't have an iPhone. I'm on VZW. I do not love the iPhone enough to move to AT&T, but I'd buy one if it moved to VZW. If a VZW iPhone doesn't happen this year, I'll join the millions of new Android customers when my contract expires in September.

The only thing I can figure out is that Apple fanboys like to be the underdog. Once your precious product is open to the masses, you no longer are a part of an "elite" group of users, and you become just like the next guy.

And fanboys hate being like the next guy.

markusw
Jun 3, 2010, 02:54 PM
+1

marksman
Jun 3, 2010, 02:59 PM
I have been saying this for a while now.

As a MacRumors Analyst, it is not going to happen in 2010. Right now it looks like it will not happen before 2012.

mrial
Jun 3, 2010, 03:09 PM
I mean really? Would you buy a used car from this guy?

mdriftmeyer
Jun 3, 2010, 03:37 PM

Sorry, but LTE roll out at AT&T by November 2011 will be broad and solid.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30493

TheAppleGeek
Jun 3, 2010, 03:46 PM

Haha! This was before the 5G Video iPod, I presume?

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 03:48 PM
I don't understand why all the Apple fanboys are also AT&T fanboys.
Patently untrue.

I've been a longtime AAPL shareholder and Apple customer. I even own a few AT&T shares as well. However, I don't have an iPhone simply because I get zero bars of AT&T reception at home. I ditched my landline a while back.

The thing I like the most about AT&T are the dividend payouts (about 6.9%). Sure beats a money market account or CD in these volatile market conditions. That's about the limit of my AT&T enthusiasm though.

At the end of the day, a mobile operator is just a dumb pipe.

TheAppleGeek
Jun 3, 2010, 03:48 PM
Gee, that's too bad.

I've had FOUR dropped calls with AT&T this year. (if that)

I think I might have had one dropped call from September '09 to May'10. I guess my area has great service.

tshepo
Jun 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
Android SUCKS nuff said!

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 03:57 PM
Android SUCKS nuff said!
That's a decidedly short-sighted stance.

Apple customers benefit when there are strong and smart competitors. That encourages Apple to continue innovating and bringing competitively priced products to market in a timely fashion. Lack of competition leads to stagnation in innovation as well as higher prices. Is that what you wish for?

firewater101
Jun 3, 2010, 04:06 PM
How about a T-Mobile deal? No need to change the technology and way better pricing. They also offer plans where you can pay up front for the phone and get a better deal on the monthly service. This actually saves you money over two years compared to a subsidized phone with a r@pe your a$$ AT&T plan.

mrkowalski
Jun 3, 2010, 04:13 PM
If Apple developed the iPhone for CDMA, wouldn't that require certification by the FCC, which would be public information? If that is so, we will know in advance when the iPhone is coming out for Verizon.

Plutonius
Jun 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
Not in the near future I won't.

Yep, get the good plans while you can :D

Plutonius
Jun 3, 2010, 05:06 PM
If Apple developed the iPhone for CDMA, wouldn't that require certification by the FCC, which would be public information? If that is so, we will know in advance when the iPhone is coming out for Verizon.

Yep but the logic of your argument is ignored since it clashes with the idea that Verizon is getting the iPhone in the near future.:rolleyes:

JediZenMaster
Jun 3, 2010, 05:33 PM

Not really. There are ways that they mask the information to keep it confidential.

psalm234
Jun 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
If anything I'm guessing Sprint will carry the iPhone before Verizon (subsidized anyway)

Or T-Mobile!

slffl
Jun 3, 2010, 06:26 PM

Wow skyehill, what a hypocrite you are. You have the cajones to call other people 'fanboys' when looking over your previous posts (click his username to see for yourself), all you do all day long is troll these forums like the anti-Apple zealot you are.

skyehill
Jun 3, 2010, 08:04 PM
Wow skyehill, what a hypocrite you are. You have the cajones to call other people 'fanboys' when looking over your previous posts (click his username to see for yourself), all you do all day long is troll these forums like the anti-Apple zealot you are.

I don't hate Apple at all. I also don't blindly love them and all of their stupid mistakes. I don't think the iPad is MAGICAL. I hate that my iPhone didn't have basic functionality available to users of other, better networks (turn by turn being the biggest). I also don't love that it's tied to a network that sucks at doing what a phone should do best - make and maintain phone calls (SHOCKING). I hate seeing Google completely run circles around Apple's phone OS in such a short amount of time. But it happened, and much like the PC market, Apple will have to be content being a niche, which would be fine if they excelled at their niche, but their lack of basic functionality in their phone speaks volumes about why they're losing me as an iPhone customer.

louis Fashion
Jun 3, 2010, 08:24 PM

Honestly, is proper MacRumors usage: FANBOI? and PL = FANBOZ? Or is it fanboy? We must have standards.

heffeque
Jun 3, 2010, 08:30 PM
The reason is simple: iPhones will always have a world wide standard compatability: that means iPhones will always be GSM.

Verizon will get iPhones when both iPhone and Verizon go LTE.

Remember that UMTS, HSPA and LTE are all GSM standards and only a few countries in the world use CDMA.

kdarling
Jun 3, 2010, 08:34 PM
Android SUCKS nuff said!

You just signed up a day or two ago, so you could grace us all with your wisdom... and that was all you had to contribute as your very first post ??

Sigh. Summer vacation must've begin.

BrettJDeriso
Jun 3, 2010, 09:27 PM
All he's doing is trying not to freeze sales of Android devices because of an upcoming iPhone launch. The iPhone is definitely going to Verizon.

Precisely.

This is exactly the same strategy demonstrated by Sprint reps when asked why they weren't making more noise about their upcoming HTC Hero release (at the time), when Android was making so much more press than the Palm Pre. To paraphrase, wireless providers will go out of their way to avoid suppressing sales of their existing handset portfolio, regardless of how immanent a new product rollout is.

Need more proof? The HTC EVO has been a known upcoming Sprint release for months, yet they didn't started advertising it in earnest until this month, because they didn't want to kill HTC Hero and Samsung Moment sales in their 4G markets.

A definitive acknowledgement of a Big Red iPhone in the offing would bring all other Verizon handset sales to a screeching halt. This guy's answer is typical of the industry, and doesn't divulge anything conclusive -other than to suggest that VZ is still too far out from an iPhone acquisition to risk the impact to their sales of other devices. But they're absolutely going to get their hands on it. It is inevitable.

marksman
Jun 3, 2010, 09:30 PM
It is good to note in his recent comments about the television space, Steve Jobs specifically mentions the ability to go worldwide with a single type of technology as being a key factor that limits the tv from being a good target.

Reading between the lines, you might take this to support the idea that there will be no verizon iPhone on CDMA at any point.

Chwisch87
Jun 3, 2010, 09:36 PM

Max speed 3.1mb
No concurrent Voice/Data
No rollover minutes

Real ATT iPhone

Max speed 7.2mb
Concurrent Voice/Data
Rollover Minutes
Global Standard

Real world atnt iPhone test.

Actual download speed on "full bars 3G Atlanta" standing still 1.997 mb/second. (just tested).
Size of 3G network ... fail.

Fluffy Bunny
Jun 3, 2010, 10:08 PM

Sprint has 4G and the Evo, why would they want to downgrade? :eek:

P.S. What part of 2012 AT&T exclusivity don't people understand?

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 11:15 PM
Sprint has 4G and the Evo, why would they want to downgrade? :eek:

P.S. What part of 2012 AT&T exclusivity don't people understand?
We don't actually know if the original agreement is still in force.

You know that you can switch from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage pretty easily, yes?

It is entirely possible that Apple and AT&T drew up a new agreement since the original one, possibly one that changed the termination date of the agreement.

For all we know, AT&T might only have exclusivity for a few more days.

Remember, AT&T originally had a revenue-sharing agreement with Apple but later switched to an agreement where a one-time subsidy was paid out. With this kind of switch, it would be easier for exclusivity to end very quickly since there would be no long-term financial obligations requiring on-going exclusive partnership.

Same deal with any other market where Apple has marketed the iPhone.

Agreements can be rewritten very easily if all parties find a compelling reason(s) to do so. Maybe Apple told AT&T, "hey, we'll reduce your required subsidy payment if you relinquish exclusivity. Oh, and you don't need to promise unlimited data anymore as we previously required. Charge what you want."

marksman
Jun 3, 2010, 11:22 PM
We don't actually know if the original agreement is still in force.

You know that you can switch from a 30-year to a 15-year mortgage pretty easily, yes?

It is entirely possible that Apple and AT&T drew up a new agreement since the original one, possibly one that changed the termination date of the agreement.

For all we know, AT&T might only have exclusivity for a few more days.

Remember, AT&T originally had a revenue-sharing agreement with Apple but later switched to an agreement where a one-time subsidy was paid out. With this kind of switch, it would be easier for exclusivity to end very quickly since there would be no long-term financial obligations requiring on-going exclusive partnership.

Same deal with any other market where Apple has marketed the iPhone.

Agreements can be rewritten very easily if all parties find a compelling reason(s) to do so. Maybe Apple told AT&T, "hey, we'll reduce your required subsidy payment if you relinquish exclusivity. Oh, and you don't need to promise unlimited data anymore as we previously required. Charge what you want."

I think you are reading recent activities backwards. They hint more towards an on-going and continued negotiation and not a terminated one.

I suspect Jobs has been telling Verizon they need a $15 data plan to get the iPhone and Verizon has rudely laughed at him, like they always do when he tries to negotiate with them. :)

cvaldes
Jun 3, 2010, 11:41 PM
I suspect Jobs has been telling Verizon they need a $15 data plan to get the iPhone and Verizon has rudely laughed at him, like they always do when he tries to negotiate with them. :)
Your opinion is duly noted. We will see shortly what Apple has up its sleeve.

Here's my totally unsubstantiated prediction: AT&T's exclusivity rights have ended. Apple will announce a new iPhone and the addition of a new U.S. carrier: T-Mobile USA. Perhaps initially, T-Mobile will retain their "unlimited data" plans to attract new customers, but eventually, I think the industry will move to tiered data.

My guess is that Apple will bring a CDMA iPhone to market only if it has commitments from multiple CDMA carriers, not just Verizon and/or Sprint. They need some of the international CDMA operators to sign the dotted line. If there is some all-in-one GSM/CDMA/3G/LTE chip, yeah, I can see the iPhone on all four major U.S. mobile operators, but right now, the likelihood of this happening diminishes every day.

Again, these are entirely personal opinions from me, a complete nobody with a very imperfect understanding of the complexities of the U.S. cellular telephony market.

bmwhd
Jun 3, 2010, 11:51 PM
So many rumors, so few facts :)

I'm sticking with what I do know - a good friend, deep in the Verizon data org., is both clearly in the know about something interesting and unusually mum on the subject. Going to be interesting either way...

gprice2000
Jun 4, 2010, 02:15 AM
The reason is simple: iPhones will always have a world wide standard compatability: that means iPhones will always be GSM.

Verizon will get iPhones when both iPhone and Verizon go LTE.

Remember that UMTS, HSPA and LTE are all GSM standards and only a few countries in the world use CDMA.

I'm not sure if anyone else has been reading about the LTE network, but every major carrier outside of sprint (uses wiMax) are switching to LTE. LTE will be running on the 700mhz which is the old analog tv frequency and will have speeds of 100mb/s down and 50mb/s upload. LTE network will have swappable SIM cards, similar to those found in today's GSM-capable handsets, so it will eventually not be an issue.

As for anything else i have to say, its been said many times already, looking forward to iphone on verizon, not switching carriers ever, and would rather have verizon's mifi + an itouch duct taped together. I'll make skype calls.

calvy
Jun 4, 2010, 03:09 AM

Actual download speed on "full bars 3G Atlanta" standing still 1.997 mb/second. (just tested).

My parents pay 80 bucks a month for DSL that is slower than that. And you are bitching.

Becordial
Jun 4, 2010, 05:17 AM
...you guys have a weird network thing going on, and as an outsider...reading about it is bloody boring!:p

I'm going to have an 02 pay as you go sim with 12 months unlimited internet browsing when I get the new iPhone.

The last thing I want is to be stuck with an 18 or 24 month contract and then having to buy myself out of it or pay over the odds to upgrade to the next iPhone (probably with an even longer contract!). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Europeans are increasingly buying their phones sans contract (and either going pre-pay or using an existing contract) and apparently more and more American consumers are doing this too.

Does this mean you can buy an iphone in the UK completely without contracts and network locks? I thought even through different carriers (and Tesco's etc) it's still difficult to get it without contract and network locked.

marksman
Jun 4, 2010, 05:20 AM
So many rumors, so few facts :)

I'm sticking with what I do know - a good friend, deep in the Verizon data org., is both clearly in the know about something interesting and unusually mum on the subject. Going to be interesting either way...

The Android Supercalifraglisticexmealadocious is coming out?

marksman
Jun 4, 2010, 05:21 AM
Your opinion is duly noted. We will see shortly what Apple has up its sleeve.

Here's my totally unsubstantiated prediction: AT&T's exclusivity rights have ended. Apple will announce a new iPhone and the addition of a new U.S. carrier: T-Mobile USA. Perhaps initially, T-Mobile will retain their "unlimited data" plans to attract new customers, but eventually, I think the industry will move to tiered data.

My guess is that Apple will bring a CDMA iPhone to market only if it has commitments from multiple CDMA carriers, not just Verizon and/or Sprint. They need some of the international CDMA operators to sign the dotted line. If there is some all-in-one GSM/CDMA/3G/LTE chip, yeah, I can see the iPhone on all four major U.S. mobile operators, but right now, the likelihood of this happening diminishes every day.

Again, these are entirely personal opinions from me, a complete nobody with a very imperfect understanding of the complexities of the U.S. cellular telephony market.

Don't sell yourself short. You are a MacRumors Analyst like me.

millertime021
Jun 4, 2010, 03:13 PM

7.2 is for their fastest towers. Not all cities have 7.2 yet.

I'm usually around 3-3.2 in the Phoenix area.

millertime021
Jun 4, 2010, 03:16 PM
My parents pay 80 bucks a month for DSL that is slower than that. And you are bitching.

+1

Apparently he can't torrent fast enough through the Nation's fastest 3G network. :p

ChocolateOne
Jun 4, 2010, 04:11 PM

Still in denial huh? lol!

ChocolateOne
Jun 4, 2010, 04:55 PM
Lets see a CDMA Sidekick!

:rolleyes:

It's one phone!!!!

Get over it people!!!!

Get an Incredible and stop whining!!

It's just so funny that everyone is downplaying the fact that this one device has set the world on fire. Nobody said anything in the ten plus years the Sidekick has been exclusive to Voicestream/T-Mobile, or the Chocolate to Verizon, but because everyone hates AT&T like people hate the Yankees.

Simple fact is the phone is amazing. You all want it....lol!

ChrisGonzales90
Jun 4, 2010, 05:21 PM
Lets see a CDMA Sidekick!

:rolleyes:

It's one phone!!!!

Get over it people!!!!

Get an Incredible and stop whining!!

It's just so funny that everyone is downplaying the fact that this one device has set the world on fire. Nobody said anything in the ten plus years the Sidekick has been exclusive to Voicestream/T-Mobile, or the Chocolate to Verizon, but because everyone hates AT&T like people hate the Yankees.

Simple fact is the phone is amazing. You all want it....lol!

Expect no one uses a sidekick expect 14 year old teenagers.

and everyone hates ATT? ha I think most who "hate" them dont even have their service!

tshepo
Jun 4, 2010, 05:41 PM
That's a decidedly short-sighted stance.

Apple customers benefit when there are strong and smart competitors. That encourages Apple to continue innovating and bringing competitively priced products to market in a timely fashion. Lack of competition leads to stagnation in innovation as well as higher prices. Is that what you wish for?

Actually I agree with you completely, i'm glad that there is finally a company that comes kind of close to Apple, only to motivate Apple even more to put them in their place. I have a Droid phone (because I'm with Verizon and am unwilling to put up with AT&T), although I don't hate my phone, I just think it falls short in so many ways, sure with Android being more "open" it has some advantages, but just like Windows it comes with it fair share of problems. Just like Steve Jobs says, when anybody can develop on their own terms the quality of the apps is severely lessened.

ChocolateOne
Jun 4, 2010, 08:56 PM
Expect no one uses a sidekick expect 14 year old teenagers.

and everyone hates ATT? ha I think most who "hate" them dont even have their service!

lol! i know right?

ChrisGonzales90
Jun 5, 2010, 01:02 AM
lol! i know right?

exactly.

typical text of a 14 year old girl:

<insert girls voice> OMG becky look at her butt it is so big....

<insert guys voice> why is she looking at other girls butts? she a lesbian?

Kristenn
Jun 5, 2010, 05:35 AM
Typical stereotype of 14 year old girls. I guess when someone says 14 year old teenager it automatically means 'girl'. Sad.

As for Verizon not coming to the iPhone, that's a shame. If my dad can get dropped calls in Los Vegas not far from an AT&T cell tower there is surely a problem. Okay, their service can't be as bad as everyone says but it's really bad in some places.

Sure would be nice if Apple would just open the iPhone to at least one more carrier. I mean, it's 2010 now not 2007. iPhone took hold of the market. There is nothing to worry about because I'm pretty sure the iPhone is here to stay.

cubist
Jun 7, 2010, 08:00 AM
They call it something like 'Global Phone' but atm it is limited to their data products. I think they are building infrastructure before making any announcements. At some point they will support both CDMA and GSM, and then slowly migrate customers.

ChocolateOne
Jun 8, 2010, 01:24 AM
Typical stereotype of 14 year old girls. I guess when someone says 14 year old teenager it automatically means 'girl'. Sad.

As for Verizon not coming to the iPhone, that's a shame. If my dad can get dropped calls in Los Vegas not far from an AT&T cell tower there is surely a problem. Okay, their service can't be as bad as everyone says but it's really bad in some places.

Sure would be nice if Apple would just open the iPhone to at least one more carrier. I mean, it's 2010 now not 2007. iPhone took hold of the market. There is nothing to worry about because I'm pretty sure the iPhone is here to stay.

Sorry dont mean to stereotype.

But as for the coverage. Your dad may wnat to check his SIM card or have his settings reset on his phone. i am in vegas frequently and been in and out of almost every hotel and never dropped a call. I don't see why people say its so bad when i travel the country and never have any problems. maybe im just lucky i guess. but i am definitely getting the iphone 4 asap!

Kstone113
Jun 9, 2010, 05:56 AM
Sorry dont mean to stereotype.

But as for the coverage. Your dad may wnat to check his SIM card or have his settings reset on his phone. i am in vegas frequently and been in and out of almost every hotel and never dropped a call. I don't see why people say its so bad when i travel the country and never have any problems. maybe im just lucky i guess. but i am definitely getting the iphone 4 asap!

I'm always one to defend AT&T since I get good service in the Chicago area however in Vegas, I will openly admit I dropped quite a few calls talking on 3G. That problem is easily solved switching over to Edge for the calls. In fact, I don't think I've ever in my 2 years with AT&T dropped a call on the Edge network. I know talking to AT&T employees, most of them keep their iPhones on Edge and only switch to 3G for data. For any of you out there, if you have problems making calls, try turning off 3G and go to edge, it makes a huge difference.

I can't wait to order the iPhone 4 next week!!!

ChocolateOne
Jun 9, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm always one to defend AT&T since I get good service in the Chicago area however in Vegas, I will openly admit I dropped quite a few calls talking on 3G. That problem is easily solved switching over to Edge for the calls. In fact, I don't think I've ever in my 2 years with AT&T dropped a call on the Edge network. I know talking to AT&T employees, most of them keep their iPhones on Edge and only switch to 3G for data. For any of you out there, if you have problems making calls, try turning off 3G and go to edge, it makes a huge difference.

I can't wait to order the iPhone 4 next week!!!

i sold my 3g already and am getting the 4 on the 15th during preorder