Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I read in my manual that I should make my computer sleep only if I will be away for awhile.
Can anyone council me on whether I should shut it down each night like I do?
Brenda

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
The only time you should shut down your computer is if you will be away for 48 hours or more. Otherwise, putting your iMac to sleep when you are away is just fine.

It is not uncommon for people to go over a month without restarting OS X. The OS is just that good.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Blue Velvet said:
Once in a while, I run MacJanitor. It's free.

This is a good recommendation. The UNIX underpinnings of OS X run certain jobs, called cron jobs, daily, weekly, and monthly. They are scheduled to run at 2AM, but if your computer is asleep or shutdown, they will never run. MacJanitor is an easy way to run the jobs yourself, at your convienance. If you don't leave your computer on (and not asleep) 24/7, then running the cron jobs yourself is an important part of keeping your Mac in good health.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Thanks all

Utadas very interesting Elan.

Elan0204 said:
This is a good recommendation. The UNIX underpinnings of OS X run certain jobs, called cron jobs, daily, weekly, and monthly. They are scheduled to run at 2AM, but if your computer is asleep or shutdown, they will never run. MacJanitor is an easy way to run the jobs yourself, at your convienance. If you don't leave your computer on (and not asleep) 24/7, then running the cron jobs yourself is an important part of keeping your Mac in good health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.