PDA

View Full Version : Apple Composite AV Cable on iPad

franz222
Jun 3, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I am trying to use the Apple Composite AV Cable

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

in combination with the iPad. However I can somehow not to get it to play back any image information (video or pictures). I have tested it now on three different TV sets, all without any positive results. The only thing I get is audio playback if I try to play a movie. I have the RCA connectors connected to the respective (red, yellow for audio and white for video signal) connectors of the TV set. I also tried many different settings, including FBAS and YC signal input. Also different TV norms (NTSC and PAL, I am located in Germany, so PAL should be the correct choice), and I also tried to enable and disable widescreen. Also tried to change between NTSC and PAL on the TV set but also without success.

I also tried movies from youtube, and still images via the Photos> slideshow feature. No success. The movies also always play on my ipad screen. May be someone with an US version of the ipad can report on the settings>video menu. I basically have the choice: TV Out and then only widescreen (on and off) and TV signal (PAL or NTSC), so there is nothing else I could alter. Does the US version have something like TV out on or so?

Look forward to your answers!

Martinsalas310
Jun 3, 2010, 10:43 AM
Is your iPad jail broken or not?

franz222
Jun 3, 2010, 10:46 AM
No it is not yailbroken. Just normal "out of the box", Version reports: 3.2 and it is an 64 GB 3G Model (sorry for not posting this in the first place).

Cinab1mt
Jun 3, 2010, 10:56 AM
I have the Air Video app, that I couple with my off-brand Component cable (for HD) and it works fine.

However, with this setup, I can usually only play video, haven't tried pictures yet. I haven't messed around with it too much but videos haven't been a problem.

Does your TV support HD hookups? Component etc? Try returning the cable and getting some for HD quality, it will do you much better in the long run as well. Good luck!

bilibug
Jun 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I am trying to use the Apple Composite AV Cable

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

in combination with the iPad....

I have the RCA connectors connected to the respective (red, yellow for audio and white for video signal) connectors of the TV set...

The app you are trying to use must have TV Out enabled. Not sure which ones do. However, isn't the Yellow connector video, not the white one?

franz222
Jun 3, 2010, 11:50 AM
The app you are trying to use must have TV Out enabled. Not sure which ones do. However, isn't the Yellow connector video, not the white one?

Well you are right, but nevertheless, nothing happens when I connect it to the TV.

The reason for going with the Composite-AV cable was, that most of the TV sets I want to connect the ipad with, have these inputs, and not the "more featureful" Component connectors...

Well for the TV out enabling: The only thing I can see is really the entry in Settings>video. So at least it should work with the video app.

Could it be something with the video files I have? They play fine on the ipad, but may be one needs a special resolution or so?

ReallyBigFeet
Jun 3, 2010, 11:58 AM
Not video file related...if it plays on iPad then you are fine.

For vids, the app must support video out. Netflix and Air Video do, good reader does not. Native video player does.

Pictures only display out while in slideshow mode. You can't just pop one up on the screen and have it simulcast to external display.

Mine works with both an Apple composite output and a Belkin component output cable. Both of these are from my old iPod 1st gen Touch.

Bad cable maybe? There may also be something 3G related at work here. Try disabling your 3G radio before attaching the cable and see if that makes any difference. I know when attaching the component output to my iPhone, I get that little interference warning box....reaching, but who knows?

sonofpismo
Jun 3, 2010, 01:28 PM
One TV did cause issues for me. I had to try plugging the cables in before launching the app... or starting video playback, then plugging in the cables, etc...

My home TV never has an issue, but some other sets (in hotels specifically) have been finicky. But I have always got it working.

Good luck...

GreenTentacle
Jun 3, 2010, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure if it's just a mis-wording, but in your post it looks like you may have swapped around the plugs. yellow is video, red (right) and left (left/mono) are audio.

mshaf
Jun 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
I use mine fine on several different tvs (old and new). Check your connections like the previous poster stated.

I'm not sure if it's just a mis-wording, but in your post it looks like you may have swapped around the plugs. yellow is video, red (right) and left (left/mono) are audio.

Brammy
Jun 4, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have an SD TV. Will this let me play protected iTunes files on it?

franz222
Jun 4, 2010, 06:53 AM
I use mine fine on several different tvs (old and new). Check your connections like the previous poster stated.

Well, checked it. Still does not work :-(. Also tried all different combinations (in case somehow one of the connection cables is mixed up. The farthest I get is to get audio playing right. Interestingly also the video "does not stop" on my iPad, when I play it on the iPad. Using the VGA out cable and connecting the iPad to a monitor plays the video correctly on the monitor, and stops playing it on the iPad.

Well could it be that somehow there might be a problem with European (PAL) TV sets? Any posters using their iPad in combination with a PAL TV set? However I also tried on one TV to switch to NTSC input and also switched the iPad to NTSC, of course it did not alter anything - still not working.

lsh
Mar 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
I am having the same problem with my new Ipad and a composite cable trying to use the Directv streaming app. According to my googling, I need to use mirroring for this app and that will only work with the VGA or HDMI connections, not Composite. Apparently Directv app doesn't support TV out.

I haven't tried that yet - I have another TV and the HDMI connection that I can try it with.

If anyone else has experience with this app, I'd love to hear it!

lsh
Mar 18, 2012, 01:20 PM
I can confirm that mirroring with directv app, hdmi iPad adapter cable works. It didn't with composite cable. Unfortunately, I'll have to unmount the tv to hook up an hdmi cable on the tv I wanted to use, that's why I was hoping composite would work.

I get a message that the hdmi adapter is not supported. I just bought it a couple months ago, but I heard a new one is out. Does anyone know the difference? I believe my part number is A1388.