PDA

View Full Version : install discs= spit out by rom.. imac g4 17" flat panel

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 12:13 PM
hi there.. can anyone help me please??? i have a 17" imac g4 flat panel pc 1.25ghz.. the problem with this machine is it can't find the OS installed in it( as i was told in my previous post) so i bought two OS's namely a 10.3.4 and a 10.5.4 in ebay.. now, the problem is that whenever i try to start it up(to boot from cd rom) after a few minutes, the cd drive will just open and comes out the cd.. both installers came out one after the other... is there a problem with this machine? or i am the one making the mistake?

help me please... thanks..

p.s the installers are in cd format and not dvd ( i think):confused:

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 12:57 PM
and when i tried the apple hardware test, the following message was displayed: apple hardware test does not support this machine.. two options available, either to shut down or to restart..what does this mean??

i used the mac os version 10.3.4 cd..

thanks...

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 01:25 PM
and now the cd is stuck inside the rom.. getting impatient with apple products.. they won't work without a mouse.. additional expenses again.. i have to buy a mouse.. :c

666sheep
Jun 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
According to this: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_1.25_17_fp.html your Mac had 10.2.3, so discs with 10.3.4 are from other machine and contains incompatible AHT version. AFAIR, 10.3.4 should be on DVD not CD, and every 10.5 version is on DVD DL certainly. If your optical drive reads AHT, so i guess that's no problem with it. Discs are not working problably because they are dedicated to other machine type.
BTW, every USB mouse will work, i guess you have one around.

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 05:25 PM
According to this: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_1.25_17_fp.html your Mac had 10.2.3, so discs with 10.3.4 are from other machine and contains incompatible AHT version. AFAIR, 10.3.4 should be on DVD not CD, and every 10.5 version is on DVD DL certainly. If your optical drive reads AHT, so i guess that's no problem with it. Discs are not working problably because they are dedicated to other machine type.
BTW, every USB mouse will work, i guess you have one around.

so what can i do? i really want to repair this mac coz i spent money on it already.. :(

do i need to buy the 10.2 version of mac os?

what about i just buy a new hard disk for it, maybe that way i wont need to buy another OS.. what do you think? :p
p.s please tell me the size, type & etc. of the hard disk so that i can find one as soon as possible.. :p thanks a bunch...

this will be my project.. :p

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 05:46 PM
witch of these dvd's dose the 10.5.4 dvd look like

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 05:49 PM
witch of these dvd's dose the 10.5.4 dvd look like

i have the gray ones.. why? maybe i bought the wrong install discs? :eek:

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 05:53 PM
yeah, gray ones are machine specific, dose it say something like "mac pro" or "imac" on the disc

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 05:56 PM
what do you mean by machine specific?

the 10.5.4 - Mac pro
the 10.3.4 - power mac g5

did i make a mistake buying these? :(

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 06:00 PM
it means they are only meant to work on one type of mac, it is still possible to get it to work with your discs, do you have another mac?

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 06:10 PM
ah.. no, i don't have any.. this is my first and only mac at the moment.. just wanted to experiment on apple products.. is there anything else can i do? :(

so this installers i have? are they like for single use only? or family pack? coz i'd sell them back if they won't be able to fix my mac? i just bought them thinking that because they're apple products, they'll work on any apple products.. my mistake,, huhu..

sorry i have so many questions,, my first time having an apple and hopefully not the last.. :o

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 06:15 PM
no probs, do you have any friends with macs? if so do you have a memory stick that is at least 8gb

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 06:23 PM
no probs, do you have any friends with macs? if so do you have a memory stick that is at least 8gb

no one likes apple computers here, the only apple product they like is the iphone and that's it.. all of us have microsoft computers here.. hehe..

what do you need the 8gig memory stick for? it's really impossible to fix it right? :c

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
it's just if you knew someone with a mac and had a 8gb memstick you could have restored the i0.5.4 install dvd to the memstick and replaced some files so it would work on your imac, but if you don't know anyone with a mac you should probably consider selling the dvd's and buying a 10.5 dvd that looks like this

hucchund22
Jun 3, 2010, 06:44 PM
thanks for the info.. i have to get the dark colored cd's ... hehehe.. tsk3x.. i was excited for nothing, i thought i could use this imac already.. huhuhu..

but anyways, thank you so much..

max¥¥
Jun 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Happy to help, i did the same thing to a imac g3 i got for free:)

hucchund22
Jun 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
thanks a lot.. :D

mrchinchilla
Jun 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
I haven't read through this in a heap of detail, but a word of advice if you're planning to install 10.5 on a 17" iMac G4 FP – don't bother. It's sluggish and frustrating. I suggest you install Tiger (10.4) as it runs like a treat.

hucchund22
Jun 6, 2010, 01:45 PM
I haven't read through this in a heap of detail, but a word of advice if you're planning to install 10.5 on a 17" iMac G4 FP – don't bother. It's sluggish and frustrating. I suggest you install Tiger (10.4) as it runs like a treat.

nice.. Thanks a lot mate.. It just happens that i won in ebay a 10.4 o.s.. What a coincidence.. Ehehe.. So, the 10.5 wont be good for my imac even if i put 2gb ram on it.? Thanks

mrchinchilla
Jun 6, 2010, 03:45 PM
nice.. Thanks a lot mate.. It just happens that i won in ebay a 10.4 o.s.. What a coincidence.. Ehehe.. So, the 10.5 wont be good for my imac even if i put 2gb ram on it.? Thanks

2GB? Now I haven't tried that with an iMac G4. I first installed Leopard on one with 768MB of RAM and then upgraded it to 1.25GB; both times it was far too slow (at least by my standards, and the animation was choppy at best), but that may just be my luck. However, I find Tiger runs superbly on my G4.

hucchund22
Jun 6, 2010, 04:58 PM
2GB? Now I haven't tried that with an iMac G4. I first installed Leopard on one with 768MB of RAM and then upgraded it to 1.25GB; both times it was far too slow (at least by my standards, and the animation was choppy at best), but that may just be my luck. However, I find Tiger runs superbly on my G4.

yup, 2gb.. i dont have the 200pin ram yet but i already have the 184 pin.. anyways, it doesn't really matter cause i'm just trying to upgrade it and see how good it can get,. don't have anything else to do.. :p

ubt luckily, i'll have the tiger, maybe i'll just stick to it at the moment.. :p

drewdle
Jun 7, 2010, 11:38 AM

I run Safari, iTunes, Adium, Mail, and Open Office (with Growl, Perian, and iStat Pro loaded up in background) on the machine in my signature. Sluggish is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. Is it as responsive as my MacBook? No. But it's still quick on it's feet when the basics are involved. I chose Leopard over Tiger because of the software support disappearing from many major programs (Growl, Firefox, Opera, just to name a few, and Safari 5 could be out soon right?), the Time Machine function, and the fact that I ran both systems back-to-back doing the same tasks and could see negligible difference. Neither version could muster the guts to render Flash video. Made attempts with v8 through v10 of Flash.

Anyways, with all my programs (except OpenOffice) running smoothly, I've got 479Mb free memory, and the system's been up for three hours.

mrchinchilla
Jun 7, 2010, 02:41 PM
I chose Leopard over Tiger because of the software support disappearing from many major programs (Growl, Firefox, Opera, just to name a few, and Safari 5 could be out soon right?), the Time Machine function.

I don't use Firefox, Opera, Growl etc., and a lot of new software is "10.4.11 or later", seeing as the APIs and libraries on Tiger and Leopard are — near to — identical and how do you think Safari 5 will run on a G4 system? Whether if it's running Leopard or not. And it's really not all that hard to back up your system on your own, in fact, prior to Time Machine, there were already a few automated back up management applications out there.

and the system's been up for three hours.

Well, that's where we differ – my uptime is days, not hours.

It's ultimately preference.

hucchund22
Jun 8, 2010, 05:43 AM
hi there.. another problem..

i bought the black install discs and not the gray one.. but still the same problem.. the rom will still spit it out.. what could be the problem? maybe the cd/dvd rom is not functioning properly? should i buy a new one? btw, the O.s i bought is tiger.. thanks

mrchinchilla
Jun 8, 2010, 11:51 AM
hi there.. another problem..

i bought the black install discs and not the gray one.. but still the same problem.. the rom will still spit it out.. what could be the problem? maybe the cd/dvd rom is not functioning properly? should i buy a new one? btw, the O.s i bought is tiger.. thanks

Do you have four CDs or a DVD? And by the sounds of it, it sounds like you have a faulty disk drive. Do you have an external one? I think I had that very same problem with a G4, some Macs have temperamental optical drives. :rolleyes:

Or do you have a USB flash drive with 2GB+ of memory?

hucchund22
Jun 8, 2010, 04:58 PM
Do you have four CDs or a DVD? And by the sounds of it, it sounds like you have a faulty disk drive. Do you have an external one? I think I had that very same problem with a G4, some Macs have temperamental optical drives. :rolleyes:

Or do you have a USB flash drive with 2GB+ of memory?

i have the dvd... i can buy an external dvd drive if u will suggest it, but it would be more cost effective it i just replace the internal drive,. can you tell me what type of dvd drive i should buy? the specifications of it and etc, if you can thanks,, :p

and while i'm at it, i was planning to upgrade the hard disk also, can you also tell me the specifications of it? size, brand, etc.? thanks so much.. :p

a usb drive can be arranged, can i use it instead? and how?

sorry for asking so many questions.. i graduated from a medical course and not from a electrical or whatever you call it course.. ehehhe.. ty..

666sheep
Jun 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
Any ATA (IDE) HDD and DVD RW drive will work with 1.25 GHz Lamp.
There's no limit of HDD capacity. Even 500 GB will do. Limit is only your imagination and budget ;) You can even fit there SSD drive using SATA to IDE adapter and Scythe bay rafter or other 2.5" to 3.5" mounting kit.

hucchund22
Jun 8, 2010, 05:54 PM
Any ATA (IDE) HDD and DVD RW drive will work with 1.25 GHz Lamp.
There's no limit of HDD capacity. Even 500 GB will do. Limit is only your imagination and budget ;) You can even fit there SSD drive using SATA to IDE adapter and Scythe bay rafter or other 2.5" to 3.5" mounting kit.

oh man, i didn't understand what you just wrote,.:eek: i only understood until the word budget... hehehe.. me--->stupid.. :D

by the way, about the dvd rw drive.. is it like a plug and play? once i install it inside the lamp, i wouldn't need any installers for it or anything?

666sheep
Jun 9, 2010, 06:51 AM
oh man, i didn't understand what you just wrote,.:eek: i only understood until the word budget... hehehe.. me--->stupid.. :D

by the way, about the dvd rw drive.. is it like a plug and play? once i install it inside the lamp, i wouldn't need any installers for it or anything?

Is my english that bad? ;) :p It could be :D
Seriously now: any HDD from this category (http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/Internal-External-Hard-Drives-/16178/i.html?Internal%252FExternal=Internal&LH_ItemCondition=1&Read%2520Speed%2520RPM=7200%2520RPM&Form%2520Factor=3%252E5%2527%2527%2520%252DDesktop&Interface=IDE&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Computing_HardDrives_RL&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282) (IIRC your'e in UK) will work with your Lamp.
DVD RW must be IDE too (not SATA) - see specs before buying one. This is only requirement.
Installation is plug & play, you must only set jumpers on HDD and DVD correctly (HDD master, DVD slave or simply like you got on those already installed).
Before OS installation, you must partition new HDD: after booting from Install DVD, choose Disk Utility from menu. Rest is well described here (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html), with all possible options. When you got right formatted drive, next step is to install OS.
Tiger and Leo will work well with any (Apple or non Apple) DVD RW, so additional installers are not required.
To get inside Lamp, you will need these tools, and this step by step guide will help you a lot (http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/imac/g417hd/), especially when you never done it before.
Don't forget about applying new thermal paste before closing your unit, i remember that some one did mention about it in your other "lamp thread".

hucchund22
Jun 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
your english is great, it's just that some terms you're using are not familiar to me.. hehehe.. i have bought this king of dvd drive and hard disk: 300G SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200 rpm ide and a LG GCC-4120B DVD/CR-RW COMBI DRIVE ide.. i hope those are the right parts,, hehe :D

i have opened the imac today and found a loose wire taped at the tip and i have no idea if it affects anything,, i have made a new thread for it.. :p

i had difficulty trying to get the dvd drive and hard disk out.. :o

666sheep
Jun 10, 2010, 01:12 PM
LG GCC-4120B? You didn't wanted DVD RW drive? It's combo i.e. reads (not writes) DVD and burns CD/CDRW.
It could be a little difficult to pull out HDD/CD cage in Lamp for the first time, i agree :).

hucchund22
Jun 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
LG GCC-4120B? You didn't wanted DVD RW drive? It's combo i.e. reads (not writes) DVD and burns CD/CDRW.
It could be a little difficult to pull out HDD/CD cage in Lamp for the first time, i agree :).

it's alright, i dont really burn cd/dvd's.. either way, i have my laptop that does all the burning.. :D and it was also the cheapest drive that i saw.. hehe..

had difficulty especially pulling the power supply for the dvd drive and hdd.. :)