PDA

View Full Version : Refreshed MacRumors Logo Design

TheSlush
Jun 3, 2010, 12:34 PM
A refreshed logo design for MacRumors, based on the current design.

The same motif of a question mark forming the right half of an apple, with the forms, curves, and colors being simplified and stylized.

sushi
Jun 3, 2010, 12:36 PM
Nice try.

However, much prefer the current one. It has more character/detail for a lack of a better word.

TheSlush
Jun 3, 2010, 12:40 PM
Nice try.

However, much prefer the current one. It has more character/detail for a lack of a better word.

So does this. ;)

http://www.digibarn.com/history/06-11-4-VCF9-Apple30/images/apple-logo1-big.jpg

jayducharme
Jun 3, 2010, 06:30 PM

Interesting. I had never looked closely at the MR logo before and just now noticed the subtle question mark.

This new version is interesting. Perhaps if it more closely imitated the real Apple logo, the stylized and simplified form would work better.

sphoenix
Jun 3, 2010, 07:02 PM
I like your version better than the current. Nice work ;)

ichorous
Aug 24, 2010, 12:45 PM
LOVE IT! This is definitely what I pictured the logo for the site should look like. They should use this and update the GUI of the website as well. The current logo has looks dated and although completely separate entity it just doesn't really feel like a macintosh associate when maybe it should?

Overall I have been checking mac rumors for a few years now and finally set up an account. This is a great resource and am glad to be here.

coachaaron
Aug 24, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm a graphic designer, and I like the new concept logo. The current logo is too busy and dated looking, and I honestly had never noticed the question mark till I read this thread.

Nice job.

ChrisGonzales90
Aug 29, 2010, 12:19 AM
I never noticed the question mark in the current logo. :cool:

i like this mock up. Apple is all about being ahead of the game. Why can't the most popular apple site be the same,

lbro
Aug 29, 2010, 12:22 AM
To me the old logo looks 3d which is why I don't like your mockup, it's to flat. Nice try though. I think the logo should stay how it is.

iMAVERICKam
Aug 29, 2010, 10:22 PM
I love it. I never even noticed the question mark in the MR logo, but I'm usually too busy thinking "QUICK, SCROLL DOWN! Whew... that thing was ugly!" when I see it.

Kilamite
Aug 30, 2010, 02:15 PM
New logo, new modern template for the site is needed. Only thing I hate about this website is the design of the forums. vBulletin from the 00's..

lbro
Aug 30, 2010, 08:17 PM
New logo, new modern template for the site is needed. Only thing I hate about this website is the design of the forums. vBulletin from the 00's..

Actually I like the site because of that. It's clean looking, and its easy to read.

Yakuza
Sep 2, 2010, 04:51 AM
I like the logo, a lot! :P

It's clean, it's visually appealing.

It communicates the idea of this forum, the old does it also but it as somewhat of a childish like drawing, i think..

This would be a big and important step for this forum, for the people of this community to have a brand new logo. Like it was said here it feels closer to the Apple brand.

If it were me, this logo would replace the current one, without disregard for the current one and the one that design it.

Dr McKay
Sep 6, 2010, 07:17 AM
I like it, much better at representing the website IMO. I never even noticed the question mark in the current one.

mac2x
Sep 18, 2010, 04:01 PM

I agree with willbro actually; have you seen the new vBulletin? It is over designed and far too "busy" IMHO. :(

Hans Brix
Sep 23, 2010, 01:21 AM
Like the new logo.

sikkinixx
Sep 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
The design is pretty good I suppose but the colours looks like "meh". I dunno, doesn't look very slick to me.

.Andy
Sep 24, 2010, 08:35 PM
Like it too. The original is cool and all but it's a bit ugly and dated. Nice job theslush :).

AppleCode
Sep 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
I like it it looks for modern and flashy kind of like apple . it kind of makes me want to lick it. :D:p

nelsencaleb
Oct 2, 2010, 03:01 PM
I don't like it. It's trying to be simple, but it's just not simple. A logo should be simple. Try again, your almost there.

mtbdudex
Oct 8, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, this is a test, this is only a test for the perceptive people out there who may or may not noticed a "?" in the current logo....

Can someone do a google cache search and see if that "?" has been there say 3-4 months ago?

I Don't remember it there....

WildCowboy
Oct 8, 2010, 03:38 PM
The question mark in the current MacRumors logo has been there since 2002.

rdowns
Oct 8, 2010, 05:17 PM
Here's a pic of the site from 2002 courtesy of the way back machine. We've come a long way in 8 years.

mtbdudex
Oct 9, 2010, 01:34 AM
thx for posting, guess my powers of observation are lacking.....so goes my CIA career :rolleyes:

kreach
Oct 9, 2010, 01:47 AM
A new logo would be nice;
the current one suddenly looks like a squinty eyed puckered face...
like the expression of someone having had something to sour...

....or maybe just wtf was in the last cigarette....

motulist
Oct 9, 2010, 01:54 AM
Don't fix what ain't broken.

Lostanddamned
Oct 10, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'd never actually noticed the question mark before...
I really like proposed new design, much more modern...

Salacion
Oct 10, 2010, 09:22 AM
This entire site needs a redesign, it's stuck in a vortex of antiquity.

sushi
Oct 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
That would be my vote.

I would beg to differ.

Personally, I like the current simple and clean look of MacRumors.

...but that's just me. :)

TorontoLRT
Oct 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
To be honest, I think the new logo looks a bit amateurish. The current one is nice and professorial. If you wanted a redesign, I'd say something more focused on the typography.

Apple OC
Oct 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
the logo is very nice ... perfect re-brand ... reflects Modern and Hip

TheBritishBloke
Oct 27, 2010, 04:42 PM
I think that design just looks rather... Cheap.

Aleco
Nov 4, 2010, 02:36 PM
Here's a pic of the site from 2002 courtesy of the way back machine. We've come a long way in 8 years.

Lol, Messanger 3.0.

The first I would do to this site if I was Arn (right now), is maybe convert to IPB. That might not be ideal because of the number of posts MR has, however also purchase a custom skin design to match the "new" homepage that was been in the talks for about a year.

Back to topic: I think your approach is getting there however not perfect, though I'm sure a few effects and touches here and there will do the trick. ;)

vincenz
Nov 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
So does this. ;)

http://www.digibarn.com/history/06-11-4-VCF9-Apple30/images/apple-logo1-big.jpg

I vote for this one

XboxEvolved
Nov 13, 2010, 10:37 AM

The same motif of a question mark forming the right half of an apple, with the forms, curves, and colors being simplified and stylized.

It is a nice logo however there are a few things I don't like about it:

-I don't like any use of gradient and it could just be because I woke up and my eyes are kind of blurry but it looks like it has a gradient.

-It looks like it took about 3 minutes to create

-It looks suspiciously to much like some other logo I've seen before but I can't put my finger on it........:apple::apple::apple::apple:

o'glory
Nov 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
I love this version. I personally like it so much better than the current version (no offence to anyone at all). I think the site could use the Apple magic with design and interface. vBulletin has many options... an upgrade wouldn't hurt in my opinion. :)

Stridder44
Feb 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
Wow, yeah, never realized how dated the MR logo looks now. I'm just so used to it after all these years I guess. :P

Jonze
Feb 17, 2011, 06:43 AM
Never looked that closely at the MacRumours logo before. Never noticed the question mark. But I still prefer the existing one.

Big D 51
Feb 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
Never looked that closely at the MacRumours logo before. Never noticed the question mark. But I still prefer the existing one.

x2.

bayxsonic
Feb 20, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm glad you're going to work on your horse =)
>> Henry Ford reference

Couldn't agree more

motulist
Feb 20, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm glad you're going to work on your horse =)
>> Henry Ford reference

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/02/212957-Member_500000.jpg

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024603

That definitely ain't broken, and there's definitely no reason to think that a redesign would do anything other than REDUCE the success of this forum. This site works *astoundingly* well for its purpose. There should DEFINITELY not be a change just to make a change that makes it "updated." New doesn't mean better.

Yakuza
Feb 21, 2011, 08:40 AM

are you serious?

couldn't agree more

the logo is very nice ... perfect re-brand ... reflects Modern and Hip

for sure :p

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/10/02/212957-Member_500000.jpg

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1024603

That definitely ain't broken, and there's definitely no reason to think that a redesign would do anything other than REDUCE the success of this forum. This site works *astoundingly* well for its purpose. There should DEFINITELY not be a change just to make a change that makes it "updated." New doesn't mean better.

wouldn't be awesome if apple had been stuck with iMac G4 till today?. why bother moving on? It worked fine then i'll bet it will do for todays tasks wouldn't you say?

c'mon, are you serious? a redesign of the MR logo would reduce the success of the forum.

i don't know why every companies on the world redesign there logos, i really do not understand i guess they're wrong. Hey! can anyone tell them that they are waaaaayyy wrong, and to fire those marketing monkeys?

while you at it, let's make a letter to apple to bring the old newton logo with the three and all that, it would look soooo amazing on the back of my iMac.

And at the time i'm thinking, why did we improved vaccines? architecture and....well almost everthing around us more or less everthing changes. we still could be living in caves...so why aren't we?

why change?!

smileyborg
Mar 24, 2011, 09:15 PM

I like.

jake4ever
Mar 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hrm, a slight redesign would be nice.