PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Chat and the iPad.

ItalianBoston
Jun 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
How come when I go to the facebook website the chat option doesn't show up?

I am guessing because it uses flash?

martynmc7
Jun 3, 2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah possibly, or it's related to the reason why you can't see the 'hide' button on wall posts, though that may have more to do with the fact that requires a mouse-over to become visible.

Looks like we'll have to continue waiting on that Facebook app before we can use features like chat.

ItalianBoston
Jun 3, 2010, 05:45 PM
Anyone know how to contact FB to ask about this?
I can't find a contact option anywhere.

redgaz26
Jun 3, 2010, 06:39 PM
I just downloaded facebook chat from the app store. Works pretty good

ItalianBoston
Jun 3, 2010, 06:51 PM
I know you can download it from the AppStore. Just wish it was in the browser.

Coukos34
Jun 3, 2010, 07:57 PM
Just use a browser like A1 (love it!), and have it render as another browser. I just tried it and works fine

Zazoh
Jun 3, 2010, 08:07 PM
If you tap the top of the post, the hide button appears. I disable chat so didn't know it didn't work.

pound4pound30
Jun 3, 2010, 09:45 PM
I bought the iPad the day it came out. (April 3rd) When I went to Facebook it had the chat option there and I used it for the first couple days. Then all of a sudden it disappeared and hasn't come back.

ItalianBoston
Jun 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
I bought the iPad the day it came out. (April 3rd) When I went to Facebook it had the chat option there and I used it for the first couple days. Then all of a sudden it disappeared and hasn't come back.

Really?

It was never there for me.

bubbagumpshrimp
Jun 3, 2010, 10:31 PM

This is correct. Although it would get a little messed up sometimes.. Which is why they probably pulled it.

patp
Jun 3, 2010, 10:32 PM
i can use facebook chat with Atomic Browser. Download it for Ipad and set the browser identity to Safari desktop.
the chat bar will be in the bottom right hand corner.

ItalianBoston
Jun 3, 2010, 11:31 PM
Tried it with Atomic Browser, it didn't work.

sandyjmacdonald
Jun 4, 2010, 04:33 AM
I find the BeeJive app the best for Facebook chat. It also allows you to add all of your other chat accounts.

Coukos34
Jun 4, 2010, 06:00 AM
Tried it with Atomic Browser, it didn't work.

Did you change it to render as a desktop browser? Works for me.....

patp
Jun 4, 2010, 05:09 PM
Did you change it to render as a desktop browser? Works for me.....

Works for me too.

Maybe the OP can call Facebook and speak with technical support. ;)

KameronBriggs
Jun 4, 2010, 05:16 PM
I got this app for my iPad called IM+ Lite.
You can hook up your Facebook to this app, and chat with people with it. There are a few bugs, but it works just fine.

omgitscro
Jun 5, 2010, 12:00 AM
Facebook doesn't use Flash for core functionality. Everything is Javascript. Facebook's inline chat used to work when the iPad first launched in the U.S.; however, developers at Facebook were quick to remove inline chat functionality when users realized that the chat didn't work properly (the way that Safari mobile renders pages, the inline chat doesn't always align with the bottom of the screen). You can access the Facebook chat API using 3rd-party applications, such as Beejive IM, or the free Aol Aim app.

ciaran00
Jun 5, 2010, 12:01 AM
Beejive.

spectre51
Jun 5, 2010, 12:35 PM
IM+ app has facebook chat.

Carlos E
Jul 17, 2010, 08:29 PM
The part that sucks if using a separate app for facebook chat is if you want to view the person's profile who is IMing you, you have to exit the chat, switch to Sarfari, check out the profile, switch back A pain.