PDA

View Full Version : 1GB vs More Powermac G4 Leo

costabunny
Jun 4, 2010, 12:47 PM
Well I thought I would just post my observations for those G4 owners running leo.

My Powermac (Dual G4 1.25) with 1GB was an 'ok' machine. about 100,000page outs in 24hrs was normal and the poor hdd got a bit of a kicking. (I use excel, safari and vlc on this machine mostly).

So this morning the 3 x 512MB sticks arrived from 'across the pond' and I shutdown, fitted them to give me 1.75GB and restarted the old girl....

WOW - what a difference that extra 768MB makes - up all day and total of 25 page outs (which only occurred when I had Word, safari, excel, term, vlc and about 6pdf's open when printing).

Overall she seems snappier and takes less time to start stuff up. (I mean not 2x mega performance, but exactly what I expected from such an upgrade).

So I think the moral here is 1GB for leo is ok, but 1.5+ is certainly the way to go.

/end of line

zen.state
Jun 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Great to hear you're happy with the upgrade. The last MDD I had was a dual 867 and it had 2GB and ran Leo very nicely. Only had 512MB when I first acquired it.

When I went from 1-2 GB in my main Sawtooth in made a big difference also.

I hope you get a few more years out of it if needed. a dual 1.25 MDD with lots of RAM is a very decent machine indeed.

drewdle
Jun 5, 2010, 12:15 PM
More memory is always a good thing! Glad your upgrade went well. I just stuffed 1Gb into my first-gen iMac G4, up from 512Mb, and am expecting a similar quantum leap.