PDA

View Full Version : Google Goggles Coming 'Soon' to iPhone

MacRumors
Jun 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/04/google-goggles-coming-soon-to-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/06/04/135813-google_goggles_android.jpg

ReadWriteWeb reports (http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_goggles_coming_soon_to_iphone.php) that a Google project manager has confirmed that the company's Google Goggles (http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles/) application currently available only on its Android platform will be coming "soon" to the iPhone. Google Goggles allows mobile users to take pictures of objects and have the content automatically identified for them.When asked about an iPhone version of the app during the Q&A after his presentation, Nalawadi admitted, "Yes, we will be coming to the iPhone soon."The report notes that Apple's iPhone OS 4 will be adding new APIs providing developers with full access to still and video camera data (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/05/next-iphone-to-record-1280x720-hd-video/), tools that will make it easier for Google and other developers to create tools like Google Goggles and augmented reality applications.

Article Link: Google Goggles Coming 'Soon' to iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/06/04/google-goggles-coming-soon-to-iphone/)

Tanto
Jun 4, 2010, 01:10 PM
Sounds good to me. I'd enjoy testing it to see how good it is.

knewsom
Jun 4, 2010, 01:21 PM
Want Want Want!!!!

tempusfugit
Jun 4, 2010, 01:27 PM
google is a breath away from ruling the world. I don't like it but I can't help but think some of what they do is amazing.

JonB3Z
Jun 4, 2010, 01:40 PM
Apropos of nothing... I was just at the SFMOMA a couple of weeks ago studying that Frida Kahlo painting. Weird to see it showing up on MR!

SockRolid
Jun 4, 2010, 02:44 PM
Amazing technology. And just think: we're only a few lines of code away from taking a photo of some cute random girl and being able to get her name, home town, and other publicly available data. For example, snap a photo of somebody (girl, guy, anybody) and get their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace accounts, and whatever else.

If that ever became possible, Google would probably face huge pressure to implement some kind of "Google Goggle Blocker" list. Like the telephone no-call list. Otherwise it could create nightmare scenarios with cyber- and real-world stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, psycho ex-wives, and other harassment.

And it's just a small matter of programming. Apple already has face recognition technology built into iPhoto, and I'm sure Google could easily create their own face recognition code (if they haven't already). Google obviously has pattern-matching technology in Google Goggles, and they've crawled hundreds of millions of social networking accounts.

Kind of scary.

iMacoo7
Jun 4, 2010, 03:01 PM
Amazing technology. And just think: we're only a few lines of code away from taking a photo of some cute random girl and being able to get her name, home town, and other publicly available data. For example, snap a photo of somebody (girl, guy, anybody) and get their Facebook, Twitter, MySpace accounts, and whatever else.

If that ever became possible, Google would probably face huge pressure to implement some kind of "Google Goggle Blocker" list. Like the telephone no-call list. Otherwise it could create nightmare scenarios with cyber- and real-world stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, psycho ex-wives, and other harassment.

And it's just a small matter of programming. Apple already has face recognition technology built into iPhoto, and I'm sure Google could easily create their own face recognition code (if they haven't already). Google obviously has pattern-matching technology in Google Goggles, and they've crawled hundreds of millions of social networking accounts.

Kind of scary.
They probably have the technology now as we speak but have not figured out a way to make it safe to use for blocking those unwanted visitors when it comes to the stalker theory. I would think it would be a nice thing to use , only if these people you are taking pictures of are already your friends,family . not just random people that you have taken pictures of while out in public

Liquorpuki
Jun 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
oMoby already does this for iphone. The technology is basically a pattern classifier. And if it doesn't land a hit, the picture sent to a group of people, probably in some other country, who actually get paid to identify things

I took a picture of my friend. Since it couldn't identify him, it returned "blue shirt" since that's what he was wearing

Then I took a picture of my middle finger and got a terms of service violation

robcreative
Jun 4, 2010, 03:26 PM
I would like to see an app that when you point camera at a leaf or plant, it provides you with the kind of plant you're trying to identify. Would also be good for animals, insects, birds, etc.

appleguy123
Jun 4, 2010, 03:27 PM
I think it can automatically translate any language too! I want now!

Cougarcat
Jun 4, 2010, 03:35 PM
I would like to see an app that when you point camera at a leaf or plant, it provides you with the kind of plant you're trying to identify. Would also be good for animals, insects, birds, etc.

That would be amazing. If I had had that in Botany class...

kdarling
Jun 4, 2010, 04:20 PM

Me too. I needed it this past weekend to help identify poison ivy. Goggles knew enough to display that it was a plant, but said it couldn't do more with plants.

In the end I just said "poison ivy" to my phone and let Google display some images that we matched up against.

Re: Google Goggles:

My wife's a teacher and is constantly showing me books that she needs "another copy of right away".

Goggles works great for that purpose: I snap a picture of the front of the book and a few seconds later I get its name, author, reviews and where to buy it.

It's great being lazy :)

iWonderwhy
Jun 4, 2010, 04:45 PM

Kind of scary.

Stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, ex wives etc. already exist without this technology. Twitter accounts, facebook etc, are totally private, the user can set their privacy settings, and allow whom they choose to see it. This technology isn't that smart.

kiljoy616
Jun 4, 2010, 07:25 PM

Nice idea, that would actually not be so bad at all. Interesting to see a logo or add just take its pic and you know everything about it.

Mr. Gates
Jun 4, 2010, 07:26 PM
Its nice to see people play nice :D

Bob Knob
Jun 4, 2010, 08:07 PM
Stalkers, psycho ex-boyfriends, ex wives etc. already exist without this technology. Twitter accounts, facebook etc, are totally private, the user can set their privacy settings, and allow whom they choose to see it. This technology isn't that smart.

What planet do you live on?
Or was that sarcasm?

kockgunner
Jun 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
I tried this app in a phone store and I was left disappointed. It doesn't really work.

Icedog
Jun 4, 2010, 08:43 PM
Can't wait to try it.

Jun 4, 2010, 08:53 PM

Kind of scary.

True, however it would require google's bots to crawl through everybody's facebook photos and run facial recognition software on them - processing their default picture wouldn't give them enough data. For any accuracy they'd want to crawl hundreds of clear photos with no sunglasses, hair in the way, etc. Anybody here use the facial recognition in iPhoto? It's pretty crap. Although the technology is there, I seriously doubt it ever happening. Google would also need permission to crawl through private facebook permissions without a granted friend request, which facebook would never allow.

We're safe. For now.

websyndicate
Jun 4, 2010, 11:41 PM
Looks like were going back to web apps fine with me :)

iphones4evry1
Jun 5, 2010, 02:45 AM
Googlephone or iPhone, AT&T's new data cap will destroy the future of video calls.

ChazUK
Jun 5, 2010, 03:03 AM
I love Goggles.

Barcodes, QR codes, text, buildings, logo's.... IT has worked pretty flawlessly for me.

I even took a picture of my work phone (SonyEricsson C902) and it identifies it. Good to see this coming to iPhone!

ValSalva
Jun 5, 2010, 08:53 AM
Googlephone or iPhone, AT&T's new data cap will destroy the future of video calls.

AT&T probably saw the front facing camera on Gizmodo and thought: "not on my network!" The cap effectively pushes more and more to Wifi/Skype.

niuniu
Jun 5, 2010, 08:55 AM
AR is going to be so much awesome in the future. Especially mapping with AR!

Justin122
Jun 5, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'm scared.

martynmc7
Jun 5, 2010, 12:04 PM
I tried this app in a phone store and I was left disappointed. It doesn't really work.

The goggles, they do nothing!

Fabienne
Jun 5, 2010, 12:12 PM
Want. Mmmm. Googly goodness + iPhone chic=Yum

coolbreeze
Jun 5, 2010, 10:26 PM
I switched form ATT (3GS) to Sprint for the HTC EVO. LOVE IT.

Goggles is okay - not sure what the buzz is. The bigger excitement is the EVO and Android. I happily paid the ETF form ATT. See ya!

AmpSkillz
Jun 6, 2010, 06:55 AM
Twitter accounts, facebook etc, are totally private, the user can set their privacy settings, and allow whom they choose to see it. This technology isn't that smart.

LOL

I hope you were joking

iphones4evry1
Jun 7, 2010, 02:25 AM
I read about this concept a few months ago. I've been waiting for the future to come,
and I am glad that Google has announced we won't have to wait much longer! :)

hamis92
Jun 9, 2010, 04:59 PM
This is great news. Goggles was one of the reasons I was actually considering getting HTC Desire over iPhone (until I saw the new shiny 4), so it's great to see it coming to the iPhone too.

bit density
Jun 13, 2010, 11:51 PM
Kind of scary.

Yeah, but it mostly looks at location, and then at the image database on location, and direction. Most of the time it will be a building or a specific work of art.

But if that girl had been standing there long enough... Though if she had, you are already stalking her by taking a picture.

plazmatyk
Jun 14, 2010, 12:41 AM
This would be quite nice. Consumers have benefitted from cooperation between Google and Apple (mainly thinking of Google Maps on iPhone) and if the relationship hadn't soured so much recently we might have had more awesome things (free Google Navigation, Google Goggles, other goodies Android users get). Hopefully rather than just cut-throat competition and each does their own Google and Apple will play nice a bit.

superflush
Jun 14, 2010, 02:09 AM
I'm surprised if this is coming to the iPhone soon.
I've been using it for months on my Nexus One.

weeman
Jun 14, 2010, 02:17 AM
The goggles, they do nothing!

haha, i know exactly where that line came from and from what episode.

zengod
Jun 15, 2010, 04:17 PM
Chap at an IBM conference on HMS Belfast took a photo back from the bow and googles on his phone correctly identified the ship and he came running over to tell me in an excited state even though I had never met him - he just had to tell someone.

Mind you does it work on location as well ? If you are standing on HMS Belfast then a quick scan of items in the location can soon be used to eliminate what its not - eg Its not Tower Bridge, The Tower of London and Harpo Marx.

What does it say if you take a photo of Steve Jobs, I wonder ?

JJJosh41
Jun 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
I've seen this work before and was pretty impressed. Any more information on when this is coming?

MAC-GOSSIPER2
Jun 18, 2010, 01:57 PM
PERSONALLY as a MAC-er i believe you shouldnt even use google stuff!!!! if you want google goggles you may as well sucker in and buy that awful BULKY little G2 google phone or whatever. seems like you all have your DRUNK GOGGLES on more like!!

xoxo
gossip_mac'er

JoEw
Jun 18, 2010, 02:25 PM
PERSONALLY as a MAC-er i believe you shouldnt even use google stuff!!!! if you want google goggles you may as well sucker in and buy that awful BULKY little G2 google phone or whatever. seems like you all have your DRUNK GOGGLES on more like!!

xoxo
gossip_mac'er

you give people who like apple stuff a bad name, not all of us are fanboys and its comments like that, that make you a fanboy. I love apple products but that doesnt make me not use google search or there services.