PDA

View Full Version : How much info a serial number holds…

elmimmo
Oct 13, 2004, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know a source where I can check what Apple would assume my computer was like from its serial number?

Believe it or not, my company has a single processor 2 GHz Power Mac G5 (not an XServe) and I do not have a clue how it ended up having only one or if they did expect a dual from the beginning. Before taking my boss down to Earth I would like to know if this computer, according to its serial number, is indeed supposed to only have one 2GHz processor, or if somehow one processor was "borrowed" by someone at some point.

kgarner
Oct 13, 2004, 11:02 AM
I'm not positive, but I believe that the serial number is just tied to a particular computer in a database somewhere. I don't think that the serial number itself tells you (or anyone) much about the configuration of the machine. That's what the model number is for.

Like I say, I am not sure, but that's how I think it happens.

elmimmo
Oct 13, 2004, 11:06 AM
OK, then, I will change the question. Was there, at some point, any 1st gen Power Mac G5 with a single 2GHz available to purchase somewhere that I did not know of?

stoid
Oct 13, 2004, 11:06 AM
Serial numbers of the same series of logic boards all have similar digits. If you give Apple a call, they have a database of serial numbers. They keep quite a lot of info about you. If they have a name and maybe an address, they can find all computer purchases under that name.

Edit: AFAIK Apple never offered a single proc 2 Ghz G5 tower.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 13, 2004, 11:13 AM
OK, then, I will change the question. Was there, at some point, any 1st gen Power Mac G5 with a single 2GHz available to purchase somewhere that I did not know of?

The single CPUs were the 1.6 and 1.8 - I don't ever remember a 2.0 single machine.

You might want to contact Apple and see what they have to say, maybe there might have been some special machines or ones that didn't ship with duals for some strange reason of manufacturing/assembling glitch.

D

elmimmo
Oct 13, 2004, 11:25 AM
This is the beast in question:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC 970 (2.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.5f2
Serial Number: ###########

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.5 (7M34)
Kernel Version: Darwin 7.5.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Computer Name: #####
User Name: ##### (#####)

Network:

Módem interno:

Interface: modem
Type: PPP (PPPSerial)

Ethernet incorporada:

Interface: en0
Type: Ethernet
IP Address: ("192.168.28.33")
Subnet Mask: ("255.255.255.0")
Broadcast Address: ("192.168.28.255")
Ethernet Address: ##:##:##:##:##:##

Memory:

DIMM0/J11:

Size: 256 MB
Type: DDR SDRAM
Speed: PC3200U-30330

DIMM1/J12:

Size: 256 MB

DIMM2/J13:

Size: 512 MB

DIMM3/J14:

DIMM4/J41:

DIMM5/J42:

DIMM6/J43:

Size: Empty
Type: Empty
Speed: Empty

DIMM7/J44:

Size: Empty
Type: Empty
Speed: Empty

PCI/AGP Cards:

ATY,RV350:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4150
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A13601-126

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: CRT
VRAM (In Use): 64 MB
Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

ATY,Simone_B:

ATA:

ATA-6 Bus:

Vendor ID: 0x106b
Device ID: 0x0043
Revision ID: 0x0000

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D
Revision: A606
Serial Number: CKDC209949WL
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

k2-sata-root:

ATA Bus:

Name: k2-sata

ST3160023AS:

Capacity: 149.05 GB
Model: ST3160023AS
Revision: 3.05
Serial Number: 3JS2E87E
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Serial ATA
bay_name: A (upper)

wide
Oct 13, 2004, 12:37 PM
Open it up and take a look... it might not be connected to the motherboard properly (or whatever it connects to...)

kgarner
Oct 13, 2004, 12:49 PM
Open it up and take a look... it might not be connected to the motherboard properly (or whatever it connects to...)
That would be funny if that were the issue. :D

mkubal
Oct 13, 2004, 12:55 PM
I know on my old g4 tower when I installed the developer tools there was a preference pane added to the "other" section in the prefs that dealt with the processors. It let you turn off a processor or cache. Not sure what the purpose of this is, but I suppose it could be something to look for with regard to your machine.

(This might not even be from the developers tools, maybe something strange I installed. Anyone have confirmation?)

Matt

jackieonasses
Oct 13, 2004, 01:06 PM
So does it have 2 heatsinks? at all? have you opened it up yet? that would be the first thing i would do.

Macmaniac
Oct 13, 2004, 04:21 PM
Sounds like a processor is loose, or you could just have one bad proc, while the other is working fine. You can run the machine with one processor, but it sounds like you have a processor problem.

Poeben
Oct 13, 2004, 05:07 PM
I know on my old g4 tower when I installed the developer tools there was a preference pane added to the "other" section in the prefs that dealt with the processors. It let you turn off a processor or cache. Not sure what the purpose of this is, but I suppose it could be something to look for with regard to your machine.

(This might not even be from the developers tools, maybe something strange I installed. Anyone have confirmation?)

Matt

Yes, that is part of the dev tools. I believe it is part of the CHUD tools.

Also, does it say the configuration of the computer to the right of the serial number [on the computer itself]? I know the latest revision G5s do.

Biker21098
Oct 13, 2004, 05:09 PM

Matt

It was developer tools, I was playing with it last night, even worked on my powerlogix upgrade. however it froze when i tried to re-enable the dual option, haha. I do love the little SpindownHD app on the CHUD tools.

edit: You beat me to it, sorry!

Tastannin
Oct 13, 2004, 06:31 PM
Over at Macintouch, I believe (or was it Xlr8yourmac.com?) someone reported getting a free 200 mhz upgrade when they sent in their SP 1.8 G5 for service, and getting a SP 2.0 back, so this isn't all that surprising.

Other than that, I don't know. What matters is - what did you pay for when you ordered that machine? I'd try to find the original invoice.

HTH
Ryan

elmimmo
Oct 14, 2004, 03:46 AM
it might not be connected to the motherboardThat would be funny if that were the issue. :DGuess what the problem was.

The lower heatsink is visibly not in line with the upper one, so the problem is indeed that it is not properly connected. I tried to plug it in, but it is not so obvious what it should connect to (it is so huge that it obscures the motherboard). I tried to push it (not really getting to line it up correctly to the plugged processor), but the only result I got is a computer that refuses to boot. So I have pulled it again, closed the tower, verified that it works again, and off it'll go to Apple technical service, since the graphic card also does some weird things after coming off sleep.

In any case, thanks for the input.

redAPPLE
Oct 14, 2004, 04:52 AM
this thread suddenly changed direction, huh? but i have a "similar" question. is there any way possible to change the serial number? a friend's friend want to buy a powebook from some guy in illinois and the pb is quite cheap.

anyway, id like to know if it is possible to change the serial number. and just auf of curiosity, how?

yellow
Oct 14, 2004, 06:08 AM
this thread suddenly changed direction, huh? but i have a "similar" question. is there any way possible to change the serial number? a friend's friend want to buy a powebook from some guy in illinois and the pb is quite cheap.

anyway, id like to know if it is possible to change the serial number. and just auf of curiosity, how?

No, you cannot change the serial number unless you replace the logic board.